Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Beer...

Right on GDA, I'd give you a high-five if I could -- Xingu does, indeed, rock!

Here is my favorite beer for this time of year: Young's Double Chocolate Stout.
    http://www.bottledbeer.co.uk/index.html?beerid=142
    BeerAdvocate rating for Double Chocolate: 89 (Xingu is 82)
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/152/73/

If you've never tried it, I would describe it as being similar to Irish Dry Stouts though not as bitter as Guinness and a little less sweet than Beamish. As the name implies, it does have a nice chocolate accent. It's best imbibed in draft form, though you can get it in cans with the nitrogen capsule or bottled over in the U.S. I am pretty spoiled (or perhaps cursed) in the fact that I live within walking distance of a pub that regularly carries it in draft and also has cans/bottles. When I was last in London, I took the train to Wandsworth to see their brewery and got a nice tour. Young's also has a nice little pub in downtown London, on the South Bank of the Thames, near the Tate Modern, where you can have a nice lunch and enjoy a nice Double Chocolate with a great view of the Millenium Bridge and St. Paul's Cathedral -- if you're ever in London, I highly recommend!
    The Eye Half-Shut:
    Part of the Truth Revealed
    http://rubesroost.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Li Kao View Post
    Here is my favorite beer for this time of year: Young's Double Chocolate Stout.
    http://www.bottledbeer.co.uk/index.html?beerid=142
    BeerAdvocate rating for Double Chocolate: 89 (Xingu is 82)
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/152/73/
    Yes, they have Young's Double Chocolate in the stores here and I would recommend it.

Double darn you, Li Kao, for that beer advocate link. I pulled that up and then of course was looking through the other beers, and was reminded of Mackeson's ... we had a keg of that in college one time.

Triple darn you. I am going to have to go to the store right now and see if they have any. At least you did it before 2:00am PST when they close down all the beer sales.

No Mackesons to be had ... they did have something called Belhaven Ale, though. Not too shabby, but not Mackesons.

i am a fan of wychwood's hobgoblin but if you ever get a chance to try Mythos you should. its a greek beer. i would say that and boddingtons are my top 2 at the moment all though i think they are both better suited for warmer weather. as far as US domestic beers i am inclined to say Shiner Bock is probably my favorite. i've only ever had it on tap once and it was great. i saw xingu the other day in a gourmet market and thought about trying it. i guess i will have to now.

yay! somebody gave GDA some REAL beer!!!

among other thick and tasty beers, i like 8-ball, old engine oil, sam smith's oatmeal stout (good for breakfast) and a not so thick but tasty one this time of year is dogfishhead's pumpkin. mmmm. oh, and ach olen shleferla... i can't remember how it's spelled... smells like gouda cheese and tastes like beef jerky.
    East River Dragon Style, Lam Family
    東河龍形 - 林家拳, 林志平,師傅

i only want to drink one of those good beers a night and ill tell you what man ... my budweiser tasted like cat **** after that xingu. a buddy of mine also turned me on to highland tassgall ale .... that **** drank like a small meal ... but they dont sell it in my state.

i've been on a guenniss kick lately too. im actually ashamed i didnt give it a chance sooner. i always saw it as the preppey college cool kid beer and wouldnt touch it. apparently theres a reason that those preppy college kids like it ... its just a shame that guenniss extra stout and sapporo are the only two dark beers that are easy for me to get in my parts.
    Last edited by GunnedDownAtrocity; 12-28-2006 at 07:38 AM.
    where's my beer?

Off to Belgium...

Ls,

My last post before heading off to Belgium to celebrate the new year in style, La Chouffe, Orval and my all time favourite : Westmalle triple. http://www.tastings.com/scout_beer.lasso?id=178087

Best Regards, Lau

Man I love this thread. For me:

Stone Arrogant *******
    Stone Double *******
    Stone Ruination
    Stone YuleSmith
    Stone Old Guardian
    AleSmith Anvile ESB
    AleSmith ***** Devil
    AleSmith IPA
    AleSmith Grand Cru
    Rochefort 8
    Rochefort 10
    Westy 12
    St. Bernardus Abt12
    Unibroue La Terrible
    Unibroue Maudite
    Unibroue Trois Pistoles
    Samichlaus
    Three Floyds Dreadnaught IPA
    Caracole Nostradamus
    Great Divide Titan
    Great Divide Hercules
    Dogfish Head 90 min.
    Dogfish Head Olde School
    Dogfish Head Immortal
    Dogfish Head World Wide Stout
    Alaskan Smoked Porter
    Stone Imperial Russian Stout
    North Coast Old Rusputian
    Westmalle Dubbel
    Westmalle Tripel
    Anderson Valley Hop Ottin'
    Deschutes Obsidian Stout
    Rogue I2PA
    Rogue Shakespearan Stout
    Rogue Chocolate Stout
    Rogue Moriboto Imperial Pilsner
    Rogue Uber Pilsner
    Rogue Brutal Bitter
    Fullers ESB
    Fullers London Porter
    Gulden Draak
    Aventinus
    Goose Island Imperial IPA
    Urthel Hop It
    Victory Hop Devil
    Victory Hop Wallop
    Saison Dupont
    Deschutes Bachelor ESB
    Victory Old Horizontal
    Great Divide Old Ruffian
    North Coast Old Stock Ale
    AleSmith Decadence
    Schneider Weisse
    Ommegang Three Philosophers
    Victory V-12
    Great Divide Oaked Aged Yeti
    Achor Liberty Ale
    Deschutes Cinder Cone
    Bear Republic Hop Rod Rye
    Bear Republic Racer 5
    Bear Republic Black Bear Stout
    Orval
    Russian River ****ation
    Moylan's Molander DIPA
    Stone Smoked Porter
    Stone Pale Ale
    AleSmith Old Numbskull
    Fullers 1845

Just to name a few. I've had close to 500 beers to date, and many more to come.
    John

Have little and gain;
    Have much and be confused.

what. You trying to get your name on a plaque at Bennigans?

mmmmmm beer.

it's good, but no so good for your kungfu.
    makes your joints puffy, especially knees and ankles.

taken in moderation, it is still proof that there is a god and he wants us to be happy though. (*nods to ben franklin* -another beer afficianado)
    Kung Fu is good for you.

is 3 per night moderation?

tonight was san miguel ... not quite as good as the xingu but still a fine beer.
    where's my beer?

chum ... you and oso are my heros.
    where's my beer?

i like, heineken, macau, and west lake beer (xihu i think in chinese) i drink some imported non major label german beers too but i cant remember thier names.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnedDownAtrocity View Post
    is 3 per night moderation?

tonight was san miguel ... not quite as good as the xingu but still a fine beer.

most medications such as aspirin, ibuprofen etc say not to take them if you regularly drink more than 2 beers per day. so maybe that means three is one too many.

you should also try famosa if you get a chance. i liked it the one time i had it. its guatamalan beer. i wasnt expecting too much as that isnt one of the first countries to come to mind when i think of beer or beer making but it was surprisingly smooth and flavorful.