Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Beer...

Quote Originally Posted by GunnedDownAtrocity View Post
    chum ... you and oso are my heros.
    Just doing my part, LOL
    John

Have little and gain;
    Have much and be confused.

im thinking of joining the beer of the month club.

anyone had any luck one way or another with that?
    where's my beer?

Funny that you brought that up GDA, as I was planning on suggesting it anyways after this thread started up. My old roommate had the Beer of the Month given to him as a birthday gift by his sister last year -- and since he is perfectly content to drink Coors Light and other domestics, I got to have the lion's share of the beers. Even though it wasn't my present, you wouldn't believe how excited I would get when that box would get delivered every month -- I was like a kid on Christmas morning. It's a really neat program in my opinion, and once his runs out I'm going to get my own rolling in. You wouldn't believe how much you look forward to that shipment -- part of what's cool is that you're never really sure what you'll get -- and while they weren't all new beers to me, there have been some really great stuff, at least one really decent brew per shipment. Plus, you don't have to drive to the store, or spend time picking out new stuff -- it's a real hassle-free way to try some new/decent beer -- I would give it 2 thumbs up. Or, as they say in the Guinness commercials, "Brilliant!"
    The Eye Half-Shut:
    Part of the Truth Revealed
    http://rubesroost.blogspot.com

Here's my suggestion GDA -- sign up for the program, and if after a few months, you aren't satisfied, just have them change the shipping address to mine and I'll take the problem off your hands
    The Eye Half-Shut:
    Part of the Truth Revealed
    http://rubesroost.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Li Kao View Post
    ... I got to have the lion's share of the beers ...
    Why couldn't I ever have a room-mate like that? Darn you, Li Kao!!!

thats all the convincing i needed ... its going to be my xmas present to me.

tonight i had black hawk stout and kelpie seaweed ale. the black hawk was very good .... it's bitter which isn't a bad thing, but theres this wierd middle taste im not real fond of. i dont know how to explain it, but its after it first hits you, but before the aftertaste (both of which are good) ... it almost reminds me of ginger or something. in all fairness i wouldnt be complaining about a **** thing if it werent for the xingu the other night ... that **** has ruined me for other beers. overall good beer ... i like it just about as much as guenniss and it could definately grow on me.

the kelpie seaweed ale ... well they cant all be winners. it was terrible, but i finished the bottle of course. it was opened afterall.
    where's my beer?

Beer is an acquired taste. Was that Black Hawk Stout from Mendocino Brewery in CA? If so, I've had it and it is tasty, but there are other's out there. Try some of the one's I listed.
    John

Have little and gain;

thats the one. and like i said .... id have thought it was completely awesome had i not just had the xingu. i still think its a great beer.

even guenniss got lowered a level because of that xingu.
    where's my beer?

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    beer beer beer beer...

my latest favorite

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/9790/32180

Duckrabbit's Baltic Porter. I had some at our local brewfest last fall and it was waaaayyy yummy. Unfortunately, the bottles don't taste exactly like the draft I had but still very good.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Thumbs up

Swale's Whitstable Oyster Stout.

The single best beer I have ever tasted.

And it isn't even made with oysters...

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    beer beer beer beer...

my latest favorite

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/9790/32180

Duckrabbit's Baltic Porter. I had some at our local brewfest last fall and it was waaaayyy yummy. Unfortunately, the bottles don't taste exactly like the draft I had but still very good.
    Oso,

You a member of BA? I'm Wasatch there. Awesome website.

John
    John

Have little and gain;

Quote Originally Posted by Chum Kil View Post
    Oso,

You a member of BA? I'm Wasatch there. Awesome website.

John

yep. 'Oso' there as well.

I don't go there very often; generally only when I find a new one locally and I'll check to see what BA says about it.

such as this one...

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/392/1566

I like it. pretty standard barley wine type beer.

this is my fav barley wine style

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/68/2678

...that I just picked up at Asheville's only, newly opened, beer- only store

www.bruisin-ales.com

met and talked with the owner, Jason. Nice guy and I hope he does well. I'll be doing my part.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

Oso,

I just got a bottle of the Blithering Idiot as a freebie in a trade. It was on my want's list. The Horn Dog is on my list, I do have a couple of bottles of the Gonzo Imperial Porter though. I put a couple of the Duck-Rabbit on my wants list for the future, I've seen good reviews.
    John

Have little and gain;

Just opened up a bomber of Ballast Point Dorado Double IPA, very tasty, hoppy brew, clocks in at 9% ABV. For all HopHeads to Enjoy. Cheers!
    John

Have little and gain;

I think I agree with a couple of the reviews on the Blithering Idiot. I'm going to keep two of the 6 I bought today and let them age and try them again in 30 and 90 days.

I like the Horn Dog and the Imperial Porter as well.

When DuckRabbit hit the area a year or two ago, I kinda wrote them off. I was not impressed with any of their 4 staple beers. They weren't bad, just not remarkable. I think this Baltic Porter is one of two HG beers they have come out with and both are very good. FYI, NC just lifted it's 6% ABV cap a bit over a year ago and so all the local micro's are just getting their first batchs of big beer into distribution. Keep an eye out for the NC breweries as they begin to filter out to national distribution. My all time fav local brewer is

www.highlandbrewing.com

I just found out recently that the owner, Oscar Wong, had briefly trained mantis under none other than Brendan Lai back in the early 70's. Pretty cool. I met him this fall and spoke with him about his training.