Thread: "Zig Zag Footwork"

"Zig Zag Footwork"

I am going through my forms and breaking down individual sequences. I notice that this particular footwork pattern shows up in a lot of my forms (hand and weapon). Here's a description:

1. Cross right leg over left and land in a "lady horse stance"
    2. Cross left back over right and land in a "lady horse stance" (now facing opposite direction).
    3. Step out with right foot into a "hill climbing horse stance" and repeat

I can remember my sifu explaining that it mimicked some mythical animal. Here are my questions:

1. Is there a name for this stepping pattern (I see it a lot in other styles, too)
    2. Should I be stepping over (bringing the knees high before stepping down in the "lady horse stance") or should I swing the feet cross (more like a sweeping action)
    3. Any info (articles, webpages, past posts, links) about its history would be appreciated.

BTW, I study Wah Lum Kung Fu; the terminology may be different. Thanks in advance.

-BM
    . . .most people struggle, but that's Kung Fu

If I understand your description, the footwork you described is more common to Hung Gar forms I would say.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Blog Entries
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcYNp85lNbs

If this is the "lady horse stance" that you are talking about. It's also called "盖步(Gai Bu) - cover step". It's better to make your low leg (below knee) to be parallel to the ground. You then move your foot over, pass your standing leg knee, and land.

You can see this footwork at 7.00 - 7.32.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=711mK...eature=related
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 12-18-2011 at 11:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Mantis View Post
    2. Should I be stepping over (bringing the knees high before stepping down in the "lady horse stance") or should I swing the feet cross (more like a sweeping action)
    Keep the foot close to the ground. LHS can be used to sweep the lead leg or circling opponent. Also used deceptively in a false retreat.
    When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.

Thanks

Thanks for the replies.
    . . .most people struggle, but that's Kung Fu

The footwork pattern is 'kei lun bo'(麒麟步). It is the 'unicorn step'

The reason the twist stance is called 'lady stance' (Loy Ji Ma) is because the body resembles the Chinese character for lady: 女