Thread: Leg Kicks

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com

Leg Kicks

What are the best ways to condition students (especially beginners) to take leg kicks?
    (I know someone has to say it, "Just keep kickin' them in the legs!")
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    What are the best ways to condition students (especially beginners) to take leg kicks?
    (I know someone has to say it, "Just keep kickin' them in the legs!")
    BESIDES kicking them in the legs ( which is still the best way) you can hit them with padded sticks and work your way to sticks.
    Swing the HB and then take the shot on the thigh or shin ( for shin blocks).
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Novocaine?
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

I use an 18" long 2x4. One end was turned down on the end to act as a handle. The "business end" loves shins, inner thighs and IT band areas on the legs.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

We do this as part of the warmup.

You can add shin kicks, thigh kicks, and torso kicks too.

Impact should be hard enough to hear on the other side of the park.
    Last edited by -N-; 12-20-2011 at 01:42 PM.

I have come to find a lot of the newer generations just dont have it them to do conditioning. I have to go so soft on them it make's my inner child cry.

I know this doesnt have to do with leg kicks but, we have a 15 year old that on the second night into learning how to be the head of the lion has bowed out of doing it all together.

You can not effectively condition your legs to be kicked. You might for playing Muay Tai or whatever, but no matter how much you condition your legs I can break them with a single kick. Rather then just taking it in the legs you need to learn ways to prevent it. I would never use a leg to block a kick or just let someone continue kicking away at my legs. It don't make no sense to do that.
    I have seen 2 occasions on TV while watching people fight where a chinese girl and a guy from Brazil or some such broke their own legs using slap kicks where the shin was the point of impact. I'm not saying it is stupid, but I fail to see the intellegence in such actions.
    Jackie Lee

Conditioning is secondary. Primary is to rely on skill and brains. The other is just in case. Maybe more so for beginners.

ouch!

Some good points made already.
    You can use Thai Pads for starters (the curved ones by Fairtex are nice and hard) for this then go one to blocking kicks using the shins with shin pads on then to shin on shin. Takes time but it's worth it in the long run. Or you can mix it up.
    Tung Kong Hakka Chow Gar Naam Pai Tong Long

http://www.youtube.com/user/dmas5animals

Shin blocks? Where are you guys learning to block leg kicks with your shins? Here in Thailand I was taught to use my knee to block kicks. OK, specifically I'm talking about the head of the tibia, just below the knee joint, so I guess you could call it the very top of the shin. But mid-shin on shin is always going to be a dicey proposition & over here you can count on people having very hard shins. The head of the tibia is naturally much thicker than the shaft (shin) & much better suited to blocking. And one good block with the knee usually stops people from kicking hard to that leg.

But back to the OP, we used to stand in the guard position while our partners would hit us with from the sides with wooden staves, from the forearms on down to the legs. Mostly though we practiced proper blocking - in sparring & in the ring I never got hit with a solid leg kick. Now getting hit with knees was another story

Quote Originally Posted by monkey mind View Post
    Shin blocks? Where are you guys learning to block leg kicks with your shins? Here in Thailand I was taught to use my knee to block kicks. OK, specifically I'm talking about the head of the tibia, just below the knee joint, so I guess you could call it the very top of the shin. But mid-shin on shin is always going to be a dicey proposition & over here you can count on people having very hard shins. The head of the tibia is naturally much thicker than the shaft (shin) & much better suited to blocking. And one good block with the knee usually stops people from kicking hard to that leg.

But back to the OP, we used to stand in the guard position while our partners would hit us with from the sides with wooden staves, from the forearms on down to the legs. Mostly though we practiced proper blocking - in sparring & in the ring I never got hit with a solid leg kick. Now getting hit with knees was another story
    Yes, by "shin blocking" we ( I assume most) mean the the part nearest to the knee but of course since we have only partial control over WHERE our opponents kick will land, ALL of the shin has to be conditioned to block too.
    That said I have also seen/been taught to block with the shin nearer to the foot so...
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Ever since I started practicing horse stance daily my legs have gotten a lot tougher.

Have them kick each other with shin pads, later, remove the pads.
    "If you are patient in one moment of anger, you will escape a hundred days of sorrow."

"He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever."

- Ancient Chinese Proverbs