Thread: War of the Arrows

War of the Arrows

Just watched Korean action flick War of Arrows-again nicely done, ties in well to our Shaolin ranged weapons thread...its a revenge flick, big bro protecting little sis from the Evil Manchu. A dash of martial arts but mostly Archery action well done and enjoyable. I don't think the bow gets enough credits for the amount of KIA's its generated throughout history, especially vs the sword. Here's a link if you want to watch.

http://www.movie2k.to/movies.php?lis...ws+*subtitled*
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

hey hebrew hammer. have you read The Archers Tale? its a historical fiction about an english longbow man during the crusades and the quest for the holy grail its a three part series. The Grail Quest...its a very good read IMO.

http://www.amazon.com/Archers-Tale-G.../dp/0060505257
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Thanks for the suggestion Lucas, I have not read any of Cornwell's stuff but that looks like it might be a good read.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

if i remember correctly there are some battles that are for the most part accurate historically, yet are from the point of view of the main character. which is super neato.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Thanks for the recommendation HH!

War of the Arrows was great! Koreans hold their archery with the same fetishist sacredness that Japanese have for their swords. They still dominate internationally in archery. WotA is like a kung fu / samurai film with bows. It was enjoyable on every level - tight fight scenes, heroic bloodshed, evil Manchu villains, spectacular scenery, fine costumes, poetic justice...and sword fights! It has some of the best bow fights, although I haven't seen THG yet, but I highly doubt that something rated PG-13 could come close to all those thrilling arrow throat shots in WotA.

Note: There's a lot of animal violence - I know some of you are squeamish when it comes to dog slaughter.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Glad you enjoyed it Gene, your enthusiasm is infectious...I think I'm going to watch it again.

Spoiler

It was worth it for that drunken style fight alone - a very unconventional interpretation of drunken style, but the coup de grace was brilliant.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

This is a great movie.

I'll have to watch it again soon, because sometime during the second hour, I kept dozing off...not because it's boring (it isn't), but due to a long day/exhaustion. I was awake again for the last 20 minutes or so. I really like where a lot of the Korean cinema is going lately.

More archery to come...

Here is the trailer for Arrow, I guess it will be on the CW:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&fe...&v=ViFb0paKdgg

finally caught this movie. its GREAT!!!