Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 5 elbows of Ip Man Wing Chun?

5 elbows of Ip Man Wing Chun?

Ive heard it mentioned in passing that there are 'only' 5 elbow moves/attacks in Ip Man Wing Chun whereas in other WC lineages there are more. Is this correct?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TopCrusader View Post
    Ive heard it mentioned in passing that there are 'only' 5 elbow moves/attacks in Ip Man Wing Chun whereas in other WC lineages there are more. Is this correct?

Thanks
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Incorrect. I do a 5 elbow drill and also a 8 elbow drill... but there are many many more elbows in my wing chun. And they come out of wing chun structure and motions-not imported from MT or TCC.

joy chaudhuri
    Last edited by Vajramusti; 12-29-2011 at 02:53 PM.

Thanks! Maybe it was the 5 elbow drill I was hearing about. I'll have to look into that.

Never counted personally but how many ways do you think you can actually strikewith an elbow? Often many of the styles (wing chun or otherwise) with large numbers of techniques have the same number as everyone else but are rather more enthusiastic with their application of labels.
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

I believe in Augustine Fong Curriculum he discusses the Five offensive elbows...Some lineages adhere to five but still have others...some have a drill for seven.

Joy i would love to see your eight elbow...i have seven!

Thanks
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    yes i have seen his video about a year ago...very interesting indeed...
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Thanks
    Like most everyone, Ip only had 2 elbows. One on his left arm and one on his right arm. However, with each of these elbows he could strike you in 5 different ways, not directions exactly, but ways. With both arms I bet he could do 10 of them.
    Jackie Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    Like most everyone, Ip only had 2 elbows. One on his left arm and one on his right arm. However, with each of these elbows he could strike you in 5 different ways, not directions exactly, but ways. With both arms I bet he could do 10 of them.
    only two elbows...please elaborate?

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    only two elbows...please elaborate?
    IMHO...

There is no such thing as YM/WC (insert number here) elbows, per say. Right off the top of my head I can think of 9 strikes but then what about those strikes/directions/whatever that fall in between. If one really wants to train elbows one needs to first train shoulder and upper back flexibility with tendon strengthening exercises to give you the proper range of motion and strength in your elbow strikes.
    Fut Hong Wing Chun Kuen (a.k.a. Invisible Buddha Fist Wing Chun), Northern New Jersey
    IBFWC @ youtube
    BBL28888 @ youtube

"Everybody's gotta plan, until they get hit!" - Mike Tyson

"Rule number 1: Don't get hit. Rule number 2: Remember rule number one."- Sifu Joseph Ng

"Pure or Impure Wing Chun, whatever beats an opponent is good Wing Chun" - pg 50, Wing Chun Warrior: The True Tales of WCKF Master Duncan Leung

Thanks
    I am not associated nor do I practice LTVT, but here's a clip of LT showing 12 elbows in BJ. IMO, this goes to show that a number is just a number.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ppo6t..._order&list=UL
    Last edited by nasmedicine; 12-30-2011 at 03:02 PM. Reason: grammer
    Fut Hong Wing Chun Kuen (a.k.a. Invisible Buddha Fist Wing Chun), Northern New Jersey
    IBFWC @ youtube
    BBL28888 @ youtube

"Everybody's gotta plan, until they get hit!" - Mike Tyson

"Rule number 1: Don't get hit. Rule number 2: Remember rule number one."- Sifu Joseph Ng

"Pure or Impure Wing Chun, whatever beats an opponent is good Wing Chun" - pg 50, Wing Chun Warrior: The True Tales of WCKF Master Duncan Leung

We're from a non-yip family line but we have a 5 elbow concept in Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Siu Nim Tao. As for elbow strikes themselves, I believe there's 8 in our Biu Gee, but I wouldn't know for sure as I've yet to learn it.

I believe there were also 8 in the Yip Man Wing Chun I learned, but I don't know if that was a change based on my first teacher learning HFY while teaching me YM.

Hope everyone had a good Holiday.

I think there is One elbow, one punch, one kick!

But multiple ways to appy them..multiple vectors or directions one can utilize these three techniques...

I will say personally I practice Seven Elbow strikes. Although you can adapt those seven elbow techniques to be more. An also you can elbows defensively in a offensive way!

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    I think there is One elbow, one punch, one kick!

But multiple ways to appy them..multiple vectors or directions one can utilize these three techniques...

I will say personally I practice Seven Elbow strikes. Although you can adapt those seven elbow techniques to be more. An also you can elbows defensively in a offensive way!
    I guess I will elaborate here. I was joking about the 2 elbows as the human body only has two of them for real. I guess you might say I follow a lineage handed down by a fellow by the name of Hung. Hung Fa. I was taught 5 manners in which to strike with the elbow. It is not a primary weapon, but a weapon of very close proximity.
    First there is the parallel elbow strike where the elbow is held directly out from the body and brought forward, striking with the front of the elbow where the forarm joins. The second is another parellel strike that comes from in front and the elbow moves across to the side of the body with the back of the elbow striking, as in just the opposite of the first one. The third is a downward elbow stike to your front, with the elbow moving in a downward manner and striking with the front of the elbow where the forearm joins. And the fourth one is where you bring the elbow down using the point of it for striking. The fifth is a backward horizontal where it swings around and stikes with the back of the elbow. This same one can be used in an upward direction to the back, but it is the same as number five, only applied a little differently. This can be done on either side the same way.
    The elbow can be devistatining if applied to a delicate spot or the face, but it is a very short range weapon and being so short it lacks the power that a punch might carry with it. When I was younger I could roll off an elbow and there would be absolutely no impact value at all. Body shots can't be rolled off, but they are fairly easy to absorb.
    When I was young and actually training my Wing Chun I would do the elbows repeatedly in the order I gave you, applying Chi to each strike. I even had bags of sand for impact. You can practice every possible technique this way. And being that WC is a conceptual system, the elbows can be used in a lot of ways as long as they are used properly. For instance, the downward, fist up elbow can be used in a full 180 degrees, giving you a full 360 degree application capibility.
    Jackie Lee

thanks very informative i enjoyed your post...i see commonality in your wing chun and mines!

Specifically we only use elbows when are too close to punch or your arms are locked. When you make it so close to your opponent that you can punch with enough power elbows instantly come out the door and start wrecking havoc. When the opponent moves back to bridging range then you stick and punch and kick simultaneously!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    I guess I will elaborate here. I was joking about the 2 elbows as the human body only has two of them for real. I guess you might say I follow a lineage handed down by a fellow by the name of Hung. Hung Fa. I was taught 5 manners in which to strike with the elbow. It is not a primary weapon, but a weapon of very close proximity.
    First there is the parallel elbow strike where the elbow is held directly out from the body and brought forward, striking with the front of the elbow where the forarm joins. The second is another parellel strike that comes from in front and the elbow moves across to the side of the body with the back of the elbow striking, as in just the opposite of the first one. The third is a downward elbow stike to your front, with the elbow moving in a downward manner and striking with the front of the elbow where the forearm joins. And the fourth one is where you bring the elbow down using the point of it for striking. The fifth is a backward horizontal where it swings around and stikes with the back of the elbow. This same one can be used in an upward direction to the back, but it is the same as number five, only applied a little differently. This can be done on either side the same way.
    The elbow can be devistatining if applied to a delicate spot or the face, but it is a very short range weapon and being so short it lacks the power that a punch might carry with it. When I was younger I could roll off an elbow and there would be absolutely no impact value at all. Body shots can't be rolled off, but they are fairly easy to absorb.
    When I was young and actually training my Wing Chun I would do the elbows repeatedly in the order I gave you, applying Chi to each strike. I even had bags of sand for impact. You can practice every possible technique this way. And being that WC is a conceptual system, the elbows can be used in a lot of ways as long as they are used properly. For instance, the downward, fist up elbow can be used in a full 180 degrees, giving you a full 360 degree application capibility.