Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cultivating Chi

You can only develop Chi by living well, eating well, drinking well, exercising daily, not smoking, and getting plenty of sleep. A strong healthy body makes for strong Chi. I think what you are wanting to know is how to develop your ability to use it in the application of your Wing Chun. You can make use of it in just about anything you do.
    For fighting applications, you need to develop your abdominals because they are the power generators, the triceps because they are the thrust engine, the lats and your wrists in order to take the full force of your own chi.
    Jackie Lee

Yes, healthy eating habits and living habits will improve your chi. I don't think there is much in Wing Chun that will cultivate chi. For me, after a good workout with Wing Chun, I don't feel energized. I feel drained. Staying down in the stance, working on proper position and structure is quite draining. However, I believe the training does help me conserve chi later on. I study other internal martial arts. Quite often after training in those I have cultivated chi. I am much more energized. I "awaken the dragon". The only time in Wing Chun that might happen is when I am sparring and working with people on chi sao and I let it come out; possibly working with the dummy a bit. But, even then I would not say that I am cultivating chi. Rather, I try to conserve it as it it begins to bubble up. I do focus my chi during training, it heightens my awareness of my position and the energy I am using. But, again, I would not say I am cultivating it... I am opening channels for it to flow much more cleanly.

If you can gain something from the above paragraph, then... great. If not,... sorry.

This I know, in order for me to cultivate chi, my mind needs to be relaxed and focused. Not that it isn't in Wing Chun, but it is focused on utilizing chi. Oft times the rotations of the tantien help facilitate in the cultivation of chi. For me, I limit waist rotations in Wing Chun.

Marty
    Marty Yoder
    Leadership: Learn It. Live It. Lead Others To It.
    http://wingchunner.tripod.com
    http://www.immortalpalm.com

You guys want honest words?

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    How do you cultivate chi?

Some have said Practicing Wing Chun SLT cultivates chi if done very slowly..

other lineages have chi gung or breath work...aka energy work?

Also how does the chi you cultivate develop your Jing?
    Which Chi/Qi? There are 8 types of Chi in TCM.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

The 8 types of Chi. http://www.wingchunkwoon.com/accu.asp

btw, there is a mistake in the Horary clock that needs to be corrected. I'm having another website done and it will be corrected..
    scroll down to see the 8 chi
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Everyone talks about Qi. Everyday it becomes more complicated and elaborate.

Ask yourself an honest question: is the way you "cultivate Qi" making you a better fighter? When it comes to the crunch, how well are you going fight against a physically stronger person? How is your "Qi training" going to help? Are you living in fantasy or reality?

I am not knocking Qi training. I have seen some really amazing sh!t that is hard to explain purely on Newtonian physiology alone. I just want to remind people not to lose there heads caught up in fantasy and focus on practicality and reality.

Don't just talk about how to kick a ball. Don't just learn about how to kick a ball by reading and theorizing. Learn to kick a ball by kicking a ball.

Cheers,
    John
    Last edited by imperialtaichi; 12-27-2011 at 09:47 PM.
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

I agree...so what methods do you use to learn to kick the ball by actually kicking the ball?

Quote Originally Posted by imperialtaichi View Post
    Everyone talks about Qi. Everyday it becomes more complicated and elaborate.

Ask yourself an honest question: is the way you "cultivate Qi" making you a better fighter? When it comes to the crunch, how well are you going fight against a physically stronger person? How is your "Qi training" going to help? Are you living in fantasy or reality?

I am not knocking Qi training. I have seen some really amazing sh!t that is hard to explain purely on Newtonian physiology alone. I just want to remind people not to lose there heads caught up in fantasy and focus on practicality and reality.

Don't just talk about how to kick a ball. Don't just learn about how to kick a ball by reading and theorizing. Learn to kick a ball by kicking a ball.

Cheers,
    John
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    The 8 types of Chi. http://www.wingchunkwoon.com/accu.asp

btw, there is a mistake in the Horary clock that needs to be corrected. I'm having another website done and it will be corrected..
    scroll down to see the 8 chi
    I dont think i have heard of eight different types of CHI?

Are u referring to meridians channels?

I know there is Chi your born with...and chi you acquire from eating, drinking, exercising and other things?

Please share the eight different types of chi....I believed under the acquired chi we have alot more than eight...possibly a different chi for every organ in the body, chi from the air, from trees, from water, from fire, from the earth, from contact with others, from the heavens itself. But then again this is all acquired chi so were really back to just two...an acquired and congential chi is really not different at all...in my opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    You guys want honest words?
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

I agree...so what methods do you use to learn to kick the ball by actually kicking the ball?
    Keep it simple. Keep it natural.

Understand that true Yi does not come from intellectualising the concept. Learn to switch the brain off and turn on your heart/instinct on. Then you will lead your Qi. All these Yin Yang question becomes self answering because you will also understand the Yin and Yang nature of Qi.

We will use a simple punch as a training example: learn to punch with less force, more Yi and more power penetration.

In the beginning try the punch in a controlled enviroment; punch your training partner, let him feel and describe to you the effect of your punch. Experiment with your Yi until you get the desired result. Of course, you will also have to let the opponent punch you too, so you can help him develop. A good punch is one that seems only like a tap, but the receiver should feel like being hit by an iron ball (or as one of the guys I tapped yesterday at a Kung Fu gathering describes, "feels like being hit by a log").

Once you get decent result, of course test in out with someone you don't normally train with during sparring.

And of course, in a real fight, don't be obscessed with techniques, focus on destroying the guy and let your habits win your fight.

-----

You must continue to test your progress on partners and opponents; you don't want to waste years of training (like many internal people do) chasing things that does not work.

Another example: I didn't learn to take hits by imagining or reading; I learn to take hits by getting hit.
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

Yes we do natural breath too. But also we practice a short breath that comes out through the nose...Upon impact you release. This is practiced during training, chi sau, sparring, form practice, sup yee san sik and other training methods. The more you practice it the more it becomes second nature. I utilize both natural breath and the wing chun breath. When fatigued breath natural. When energized use the breath. This one thing Sifu said. But it just dependant on you...your not gonna be striking and using that breath 100% of the time. Same way as your not going to be stepping or using your waist to with a punch 100% of the time. But I agree the majority of the time you breath natural...

Quote Originally Posted by Jox View Post
    I was taught to breathe naturally...
    Push - breath out, pull breath - in, etc... This is new idea to me...
    Is this natural process or do you developed it consciously? Is it from ving tsun or tai chi...?

Jox,
    Hmmm very good I like your details and explanation...very good indeed

Quote Originally Posted by imperialtaichi View Post
    Keep it simple. Keep it natural.

Understand that true Yi does not come from intellectualising the concept. Learn to switch the brain off and turn on your heart/instinct on. Then you will lead your Qi. All these Yin Yang question becomes self answering because you will also understand the Yin and Yang nature of Qi.

We will use a simple punch as a training example: learn to punch with less force, more Yi and more power penetration.

In the beginning try the punch in a controlled enviroment; punch your training partner, let him feel and describe to you the effect of your punch. Experiment with your Yi until you get the desired result. Of course, you will also have to let the opponent punch you too, so you can help him develop. A good punch is one that seems only like a tap, but the receiver should feel like being hit by an iron ball (or as one of the guys I tapped yesterday at a Kung Fu gathering describes, "feels like being hit by a log").

Once you get decent result, of course test in out with someone you don't normally train with during sparring.

And of course, in a real fight, don't be obscessed with techniques, focus on destroying the guy and let your habits win your fight.

-----

You must continue to test your progress on partners and opponents; you don't want to waste years of training (like many internal people do) chasing things that does not work.

Another example: I didn't learn to take hits by imagining or reading; I learn to take hits by getting hit.

I dont think i have heard of eight different types of CHI?

Are u referring to meridians channels?

I know there is Chi your born with...and chi you acquire from eating, drinking, exercising and other things?

Please share the eight different types of chi....I believed under the acquired chi we have alot more than eight...possibly a different chi for every organ in the body, chi from the air, from trees, from water, from fire, from the earth, from contact with others, from the heavens itself. But then again this is all acquired chi so were really back to just two...an acquired and congential chi is really not different at all...in my opinion...
    I learned about the 8 types of Chi when I studied acupuncture in NYC. I sent a link to my website which shows the 8 types of Chi that acupuncturists learn about. There are plenty of books where explaining. Here's one of the books we used: http://www.amazon.com/Acupuncture-Jo.../dp/B000KNH1ZE
    Last edited by Phil Redmond; 12-28-2011 at 07:19 PM.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Jox View Post
    Do you mean 8 pa kua forces?

Jox,
    Look near the bottom of this page on my website:
    http://www.wingchunkwoon.com/accu.asp
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

yuan chi

Last edited by Phil Redmond; 12-28-2011 at 07:32 PM.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Chi-masters [ aka beano boys ]...happy new year !

okay will look it over in more depth later...thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post