Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yin and Yang principle?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    How to train the body with ying strength ?
    The Ying strength is your opponent's strength that you borrow. You can only train how to borrow. You can't train how to develop your opponent's strength. It's not your strength anyway.

For me, yin and yang are a tool for analysis. If I feel too much yang, I ask where can I be more yin and vice versa. It is rare that when I practice I do not do some type of analysis on what I'm working on. Where am I heavy? Where am I light? Where am I tense? Where am I relaxed? Where am I open? Where am I closed? etc. To utilize this tool for analysis opens opportunities for me to evaluate my progress and my understanding of my training.

Marty
    Marty Yoder
    Leadership: Learn It. Live It. Lead Others To It.
    http://wingchunner.tripod.com
    http://www.immortalpalm.com

Block/Parry soft. Strike hard. It's not that easy either. You have to be able to use both hemispheres of your brain independently. Like a piano player playing two different rhythms simultaneously.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    Do you guys seriously believe in ying strength .....ect as discuss in this thread?
    Do you mean Yin? like soft strenght...I think it is possible to train Yin Strength...but thats just me...

But please share with me if you think its possible...i see Yin as the opposite of Yang...So if Yang is hard training Yin is soft training...

Yin is internal and Yang is External right...

If you train only Yang you will be very strong but not relaxed or agile enough to apply that strength...

An example would be

Yang
    -power lifting, weight training for the upper body and lower body, squats, benchpress
    -calesthiestics, running, jump rope, sparring
    -wooden man, kicking a wooden post,hitting a makira board, striking a punching bag

If you do this but dont stretch or nothing you wont be any good...

Yin
    -strecthing, Chi Kung, Breathing exercises, Meditation
    -form practicing, Punching in the air, walking, practice stepping lightly
    -kicking in the air, chi sau, shadow boxing

With out the Yin you wont be able to utilize your yang!
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    The Ying strength is your opponent's strength that you borrow. You can only train how to borrow. You can't train how to develop your opponent's strength. It's not your strength anyway.
    Do you also have Yin strength?

Can you develop it?
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

You need both, and learn to use them together, that is what MA is.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    In Wing Chun what is the Yin Yang principle?

How is observed,practiced or followed?

Sayings of the Kuit Kuen:

"- Know the difference between Yin and Yang, real and feigned. Take advantage of any available opportunity. "

"- The Yin Yang principle should be thoroughly understood. "

Yang is strong; yin is pliant or yielding. If you ever get a chance to read a book called What is Tai Chi, he provides insight on what is Yin/Yang. In short, it seems like
    you can grasp the concept if you are thoroughly steeped in Chinese cultural. He indicates that its a concept that Chinese can grasp almost intuitively.

Simple test:

Try balancing a snooker cue on your finger....

Do you focus on moving your finger (movement, Yang) or do you stare at the top of the cue (Yi, Yin)?

When I contact an opponent, I don't focus on the contact point (moving the finger), I focus on the opponent's power source (top of the cue).

Low level fighting, focus on the finger (epic fail). Medium level, focus on both (fail). Aim, focus on the purpose (Yi) and let the Yi guide your body without conscious effort (winning). No magic here, just the correct mind-set.
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

Blog Entries
    Do you also have Yin strength?

Can you develop it?
    It's hard to discuss on this if we don't have proper definition for Yin strength. Some people defines mingjing as Yang, anjing as Ying, and huajing as 1/2 Yang and 1/2 Yin.

To me, I prefer to call all power that you can generate are Yang power. When you make love to your love one, if you are on top, you are using Yang strength. If she is on top, you are using Yin strength (not your strength. You just borrow it).

why not? why shouldnt some things be shared in a public forum?
    Agreed, that's one of the problems with TCMA. The secret is . . . . .ta da. . . there is no secret.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    Agreed, that's one of the problems with TCMA. The secret is . . . . .ta da. . . there is no secret.
    If someone is not willing to share, he should not get involved with discussion in the first place.

There is a secret. The problem is that the secret is often right in front of the student's (our) eyes; he or she does not pick up on it.

my gung fu is so mystical and esoteric...i can not share all the details with everyone!!!

Correction...I will only not share what i do not know or what i am still learning!

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    You need both, and learn to use them together, that is what MA is.
    Great post

Snake = Yin/Yum
    Crane = Yang/Yeurng

The Yum Yeurng level in my own training was simply an area of therapeutic practise that we had to go through very early on. It's as simple as co-ordinating the left and right hand, the upper and lower body and shouldn't get too complex imho.

The Internal/External method is also a Yum Yeurng but I strongly advised to acheive a 'balance' here, after all that is what the Yum Yeurng teaches us. Balance.

Don't view them as opposites, but as complimenataries

In fact my own approach to coaching specializes in this method too
    www.theyumyeurngacademy.co.uk
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Interesting...how ever i see the snake as Yang and the crane is Yin! But its just my opinion i suppose...when you attack you utilize a snake core or snake engine as hendrix would say...when you defend you utilize a wing arm or wing hand like Tan sau or Bong Sau or Fok Sau.

The structure for attack is more snake with darting steps. The structure for dissipating force is more crane in that you swallow energy and bring it to nothingness. Snake is more elusive like a boxer it just keeps moving from side to side as it attacks. Where Crane recieves force and lets it go
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    Great post

Snake = Yin/Yum
    Crane = Yang/Yeurng

The Yum Yeurng level in my own training was simply an area of therapeutic practise that we had to go through very early on. It's as simple as co-ordinating the left and right hand, the upper and lower body and shouldn't get too complex imho.

The Internal/External method is also a Yum Yeurng but I strongly advised to acheive a 'balance' here, after all that is what the Yum Yeurng teaches us. Balance.

Don't view them as opposites, but as complimenataries

In fact my own approach to coaching specializes in this method too
    www.theyumyeurngacademy.co.uk