Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 33

Thread: Compare Taiji push hands with Chinese wrestling

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Shell Beach, CA, USA
    Posts
    6,664
    Blog Entries
    16

    Compare Taiji push hands with Chinese wrestling

    If we compare these 2 clips, we can see some

    - similiar such as borrow force, yield, sticky, follow, lead your opponent into the emptiness, ...
    - difference such as Chinese wrestling use more leg moves, and end with single leg balance.

    Why can't we mix both into one?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIc5NIfrnJs

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZouSsrTGNE
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 12-27-2011 at 06:02 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    997
    Of course, we can BUT most will say that it is not "internal'.

  3. #3
    yes.

    It is always a question of formats or rule sets.

    http://tw.myblog.yahoo.com/shaolinchuandao

    check out the rules before entering.

    that is.


  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    The state that resembles a middle finger.
    Posts
    3,274
    Of course, we can BUT most will say that it is not "internal'
    - similiar such as borrow force, yield, sticky, follow, lead your opponent into the emptiness, ...
    - difference such as Chinese wrestling use more leg moves, and end with single leg balance.
    in the end it's all one thing that's been around for a long long time and it's not some mythical proclaimation it mechanics and training.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

  5. #5
    The second clip was from shifu John Irving and sifu gino's tourney @ case western univesity in Ohio. I was one of the judges therer then offered a seminar there with shuai jiao shifu from California the next day on sunday. great tourney, awesome tournout will be goign again next year. I cant say enough about it
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan



    Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    888
    Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon View Post
    The second clip was from shifu John Irving and sifu gino's tourney @ case western univesity in Ohio. I was one of the judges therer then offered a seminar there with shuai jiao shifu from California the next day on sunday. great tourney, awesome tournout will be goign again next year. I cant say enough about it
    Thx for the kind word Sifu.

    My personal Opinion on Push Hands / Shaui Chiao:

    They are both the same thing. Both borrow energy from your opponent. Both grapple, lock and throw. Push Hands, SC, Judo, BJJ etc etc all work on sensitivity thru constant grappling and touching each other.

    For self defense they are close to the same. For competition they only differ thru different rule sets.

    ginosifu

  7. #7
    In the push hands clip the guy getting thrown around is only resisting up to a certain point. Then he just stops resisting allowing the other guy to throw him around. Kinda pointless.

  8. #8
    ron blair, really? you can see and feel that from your computer screen?

    I highly doubt it. and if you see how far and quick he is thrown this is certainly not the case.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan



    Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon View Post
    ron blair, really? you can see and feel that from your computer screen?

    I highly doubt it. and if you see how far and quick he is thrown this is certainly not the case.
    Earthdragon, are you saying you can "feel" what's going on better through your computer screen? Lol. Based on your argument your opinion is worth as much as mine unless you were actually there.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    If we compare these 2 clips, we can see some

    - similiar such as borrow force, yield, sticky, follow, lead your opponent into the emptiness, ...
    - difference such as Chinese wrestling use more leg moves, and end with single leg balance.

    Why can't we mix both into one?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIc5NIfrnJs

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZouSsrTGNE
    Mix both for what ?, do you want to create another sport, just change rules and you will create another sport.

    The guy in black in first video is just a guy on higher level than other guys, so he uses less movement to get job done, that's all nothing to do with combine this or that, less movement equals higher level, not more moving.

  11. #11
    I was saying that you cant make the assumtion that he was giving up. it didnt look like it to me. But I see your poitn the same can be said about him not givng up... touche'
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan



    Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

  12. #12
    I think the guy realized that what he was doing was not working and tried something else that really did not work. I think he ran out of moves or options.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Shell Beach, CA, USA
    Posts
    6,664
    Blog Entries
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Mix both for what ?
    Integrate sweep, hook, cut, sickle, twist, bite, sharpen. spring, block, break, lift, ... into Taiji push hand.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 12-28-2011 at 07:06 PM.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    888
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    If we compare these 2 clips, we can see some

    - similiar such as borrow force, yield, sticky, follow, lead your opponent into the emptiness, ...
    - difference such as Chinese wrestling use more leg moves, and end with single leg balance.

    Why can't we mix both into one?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIc5NIfrnJs

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZouSsrTGNE
    You know that GM Chang learned Yang Style Tai Chi from General Ma (I think it was him). I would assume that GM Chang learned Push Hands as well.

    I have been working with GM Chang's student, Chi Hsiu Weng AKA Dr. Weng from California for over 15 years and he has emphasized that Tai Chi and Shuai Chiao are linked like brother and sister.

    Sure you can mix them both into one. However, my opinion is that they are already together.

    ginosifu

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Shell Beach, CA, USA
    Posts
    6,664
    Blog Entries
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by ginosifu View Post
    You know that GM Chang learned Yang Style Tai Chi from General Ma (I think it was him). I would assume that GM Chang learned Push Hands as well.

    I have been working with GM Chang's student, Chi Hsiu Weng AKA Dr. Weng from California for over 15 years and he has emphasized that Tai Chi and Shuai Chiao are linked like brother and sister.

    Sure you can mix them both into one. However, my opinion is that they are already together.

    ginosifu
    GM Chang exchanged his SC with general Li Jing-Lin's Taiji (not general Ma).

    http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...QEwCQ&dur=1282

    In Chang Taiji, both are integrated.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •