Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Compare Taiji push hands with Chinese wrestling

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    If we compare these 2 clips, we can see some

- similiar such as borrow force, yield, sticky, follow, lead your opponent into the emptiness, ...
    - difference such as Chinese wrestling use more leg moves, and end with single leg balance.

Why can't we mix both into one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIc5NIfrnJs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZouSsrTGNE
    Because in the wrestling clip the opponents are picking each other up and throwing each other. In the Taiji clip the taiji master is listening for when the opponent is off balance and then adding his force to the "throw". Different skills.

EO

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Olson View Post
    Because in the wrestling clip the opponents are picking each other up and throwing each other. In the Taiji clip the taiji master is listening for when the opponent is off balance and then adding his force to the "throw". Different skills.

EO
    Not at all - that's the goal of both. Yielding is the highest level throwing skill that Master Chen Bing demonstrates nicely.

Search Mifune Judo to see demonstrating yielding soft listening to the extreme.

Blog Entries

EO
    Skill such as, "listening for when the opponent is off balance and then adding his force to the throw" is also used in wrestling as well. The difference is

- wrestler may like to "make" it happen, while
    - Taiji guy may like to "wait" it to happen.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 01-02-2012 at 10:10 AM.

1. push hand drills are good to learn to interact with the opponent's jin

how to contact

how to neutralize

when impeded

how to turn things around etc

you may keep going without actually ending with a throw.

2. I do not like push hand comp

because they are limited and also they kept changing rules.

in other words

might as well just use shuai jiao or judo rules then.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    wrestler may like to "make" it happen, while
    I like how you stated that. Good way of putting it. But I've also seen defensive wrestlers. People who go for the counter/or shifting of weight every single time. Wrestling has a more aggressive base, that's just how it's taught, but I've seen it done on a base of defense as well. Freestyle wrestling, which is the HS version in the US, there are many times when you have to wait out your opponent when you are ahead on points and just want to kill time. you go into a defensive, sitting on the outside, counter, mode.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Skill such as, "listening for when the opponent is off balance and then adding his force to the throw" is also used in wrestling as well. The difference is

I don't think you can "make it happen" in that way without creating an opportunity for your opponent to disrupt your balance. Hence, the difference. The goal of Taiji is to be supple, not stiff, in every movement--and also balanced. Even the movements with a lot of force like kao are executed with suppleness and balance.

When I would push with my old Taiji teacher he could almost instantly find any spot in my body where I was "holding on" with tension. He'd then use that as a fulcrum to unbalance me. Didn't matter if he started by touching my hand, he quickly find that my calf was tight and use that to trip me up.

But, hey, if the force way works for you, then it works. If your opponent is thrown on their head it doesn't make much difference how they got there.

EO

I don't think you can "make it happen" in that way without creating an opportunity for your opponent to disrupt your balance. Hence, the difference. The goal of Taiji is to be supple, not stiff, in every movement--and also balanced. Even the movements with a lot of force like kao are executed with suppleness and balance.

When I would push with my old Taiji teacher he could almost instantly find any spot in my body where I was "holding on" with tension. He'd then use that as a fulcrum to unbalance me. Didn't matter if he started by touching my hand, he quickly find that my calf was tight and use that to trip me up.

But, hey, if the force way works for you, then it works. If your opponent is thrown on their head it doesn't make much difference how they got there.

EO
    That's great if all you're doing is limp dick Senior Citizen Taiji compliancy drills.

What YKW is talking about is making an opening not by forcing it, bo fa li is for the execution once the imbalance has been established. You create the imbalance with a feigned attack.

Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.
    Consider that line stolen.
    When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post

It is still just the level of the players, if your level is less than your opponent you will resort to force to try to make up for lack of level.

The better person or more skilled will use less effort or energy to accomplish same goal.

EO
    I agree with Wenshu. You and your teacher are only pushing each other. How would your teacher fair in a wrestkkng tournament. Likely he would push the guy away and the guy would pull him and toss him. The tai chi stuff only works if two people are pushing. Can it work in wrestling? Look up Chen village push hands on YouTube.

Blog Entries
    I don't think you can "make it happen" ...
    If you want to push, you will pull first. Of course when you pull, your opponent may just borrow your pulling and add his pushing. But you can also borrow his pushing too. The difference is you know that your pulling is "fake" but your opponent may not know that. If you pull in such "angle" that will be difficult for your opponent to borrow your force then you will have advantage over your opponent.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 01-03-2012 at 05:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RonBlair View Post
    I agree with Wenshu. You and your teacher are only pushing each other. How would your teacher fair in a wrestkkng tournament. Likely he would push the guy away and the guy would pull him and toss him. The tai chi stuff only works if two people are pushing. Can it work in wrestling? Look up Chen village push hands on YouTube.
    Taiji is not just "pushing". Push hands is a bit of a misnomer. In push hands you have to know how to execute and counter pulls, pushes, locks + fist, elbow, shoulder and hip strikes. In this sense it is no different than wrestling or any other style of kung fu. The strategy and mechanics are though.

EO

I would laugh to see you "push hands" with my old teacher. He'd have you crumpled up on the floor like a little baby in seconds.

EO
    and who exactly is your "old teacher", just out of curiosity...

The state that resembles a middle finger.

Dan severn, awesome wrestler.

you know he's had some ridiculous amount of fights to his name? I can't remember the number (something in the 70 amount I think) but I think he's still going and fighting some. I might be wrong on that, it was awhile ago I looked up about him.

and the mustacheoooo is epic.
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.