Thread: Health, Self-cultivation, and Fajin

Blog Entries

Health, Self-cultivation, and Fajin

If you only care about "health" and "self-cultivation", you don't care about "combat", do you still care about Fajin?

What's your opinion on this?

hmm i dont know, because i care more about combat than health and self cultivation. i think fajin is applicable for the most part only to combat. you can use fajin in some day to day things, but not too many.

some people like to study all the aspects of movement though and not worry too much about combat, so i could see the intellectual persuit of understanding fajin from a first hand experience.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

As someone for whom “combat” is a secondary consideration let me say that the importance of fajin is in no way slighted. It is after all Shaolin Kung Fu which I have chosen to study. If the interest was solely in the health aspect or “self cultivation” I would have chosen dance or wushu. In addition the ability to project power through your strikes implies a level of physical/mental control which anyone involved in “self cultivation” would wish to aqcuire.
    Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character.
    Albert Einstein

If a small thing has the power to make you angry, does that not indicate something about your size?
    Sydney J. Harris

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    If you only care about "health" and "self-cultivation", you don't care about "combat", do you still care about Fajin?

I think it's still part of having awareness and understanding of body mechanics, relaxation, and movement. All useful even if combat is not the primary goal.

I think you must still care about Fajing as it is part of the training that leads to your cultivation.

Cultivation being the goal and Gong Fu being the chosen road, we should walk the road faithfully and explore all of its aspects.

Even if we are incapable or unwilling to commit to violence upon another person, the violent part of our nature should still be explored as there is much we can learn from our shadow.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post

If not, then just do tae bo and yoga.

Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    I think it's still part of having awareness and understanding of body mechanics, relaxation, and movement. All useful even if combat is not the primary goal.
    Having awareness and understanding of body mechanics, relaxation, and movement combat is effortless...
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries
    Given that you put Only care about but did not include fajin, I say it doesn't matter.

I would note that the not caring about fajin is what would allow such a person to develop it faster.

If fajin is developed through good and proper mechanics, then not getting caught-up in the mechanics (beginning, intermediate stages) might allow an effortlessness that is if not an aspect a mark of achievement.

When effortlessness is our goal we might miss the mark~.-No_Know

When effortlessness is our goal the want to achieve disrupts the effortlessness gining yin and yang. But without the wuchi of absent of care We get the tai chi of Try, Struggle, Attempt.

Not caring does not necessarily remove one from fasttracking to that thing for which one cares not.

No_Know
    Last edited by No_Know; 12-31-2011 at 07:28 AM. Reason: nec...
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

Quote Originally Posted by No_Know View Post
    Given that you put Only care about but did not include fajin, I say it doesn't matter.

I would note that the not caring about fajin is what would allow such a person to develop it faster.

If fajin is developed through good and proper mechanics, then not getting caught-up in the mechanics (beginning, intermediate stages) might allow an effortlessness that is if not an aspect a mark of achievement.

When effortlessness is our goal we might miss the mark~.-No_Know

When effortlessness is our goal the want to achieve disrupts the effortlessness gining yin and yang. But without the wuchi of absent of care We get the tai chi of Try, Struggle, Attempt.

Not caring does not necessarily remove one from fasttracking to that thing for which one cares not.

No_Know
    Good post, plus 1

If you look for fajin or try to get it, you may never find it.

Lol bull. There are so many people that set out specifically to develop fajin, and do so. Its not a philosophy, its a practice. If you can't develop fajin because you want to, that just means you suck.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    There are so many people that set out specifically to develop fajin, and do so. Its not a philosophy, its a practice.
    This.
    ---------

fajin is like AIDS. some have it, some dont.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

if you can find a way to do things with less effort

or more efficiently.

so be it (Jet Li's common words).

with jin or no jin etc etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUFUwRQM12s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0P9fGKCWfsM

some songs may be sung with the opera way.

some songs may be sung with soft tones.

there are more than one way to do things.

whatever fits the context that is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hIkf...eature=related

Last edited by SPJ; 12-31-2011 at 06:41 PM.