Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why people don't want to share their best stuff

Why people don't want to share their best stuff

The problem of sharing (over the Net) is the experience is only limited to words. You can't "try" over the Net. Plus, there are often close minded but very verbal "authorities" who refuse to step back and see the truth.

Therefore, when the idea is too radical, instead of open discussions the idea is often quashed and the person presenting the idea ridiculed.

Plus, there are people who plagiarises and don't give credit to the person who comes up with the idea. Seriously, who would like to have their ideas stolen just to benefit some thief?

For these reasons, I don't blame people for not wanting to share the best stuff over the Net.

I for one, prefers to settle by crossing hands. If it works, it works. If it doesn't, no colourful language shall revive it. No argument. Simple.

Cheers,
    John
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

Quote Originally Posted by imperialtaichi View Post
    Therefore, when the idea is too radical, instead of open discussions the idea is often quashed and the person presenting the idea ridiculed.

((Happens frequent;y enough. People behind keyboards specially anonumous ones do not
    always take responsibility for their actions))joy

Plus, there are people who plagiarises and don't give credit to the person who comes up with the idea. Seriously, who would like to have their ideas stolen just to benefit some thief?

((Plagiarism not only by passes giving credit but attempts to take credit falsely.Has happened in this forum and some people have been warned also for ad hominem obscenities,))joy

For these reasons, I don't blame people for not wanting to share the best stuff over the Net.

((And many knowledgeable people do not chit chat in net forums))joy

I for one, prefers to settle by crossing hands. If it works, it works. If it doesn't, no colourful language shall revive it. No argument. Simple.

((True enough. Or discuss things in civil fashion. Or discuss in various gatherings))joy

Cheers,
    John
    Cheers from here too. Joy

the problem of sharing (over the net) is the experience is only limited to words. You can't "try" over the net. Plus, there are often close minded but very verbal "authorities" who refuse to step back and see the truth.

For these reasons, i don't blame people for not wanting to share the best stuff over the net.

Cheers,
    john
    x2 .......
    "The ultimate nature of survival is maintaining your balance"

You can't be really suggesting that some on this forum actually be guilty of ...

From my own perspective, and after being side-lined, insulted, ignored and sometimes even threatened and bullied on this forum since I first signed up, I think a better question is:

Why should we share our best stuff??
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    If you want to run for president, you may need to visit every families, go on TV, newspaper, and let people to know who you are. When appear in front of the public eyes, you have to prove that you will be a good president by presenting your idea. The follow answer just won't work.

person A: When you become US president, how will you balance budget?
    president candidate: That's a secret and I won't release it to the public.

If you have a book to publish or a DVD to sell in the near future, you may have to let people to know your name as much as possible. If nobody knows who you are, your book and DVD will not have any customers.

Besides businese reason, to help others is always a good thing to do. The day when you die, your knowledge will go with you. Whether you are willing to share or not won't make any difference. People may remember you as a person willing to share, or a person who keeps everything to yourself. The decision will be all yours.

there are 2 things that you don't want to share:

- Your best moves.
    - How to counter it.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 12-29-2011 at 10:53 AM.

From my own perspective, and after being side-lined, insulted, ignored and sometimes even threatened and bullied on this forum since I first signed up, I think a better question is:

In that regard you do have a point.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Blog Entries
    If you are talking about Judo forum, Bullsh!tdo form, or MAP forum, I can understand your reason. This forum is not that bad IMO.

I did have the following conversation in Judo forum:

A: Can someone help me on ...?
    B: You should ask your teacher.
    C: Don't expect to get any useful information online.
    D: You may try ...
    B: What make you think that you are qualified to answer A's question?
    C: That's the most ridiculous suggestion that I have ever heard.
    D:

In that kind of environment, it's better to tuck your tail between your legs, run like hell, and never go back.

Sharing? Type even one word in those forums will be waste your valuable lifetime. Again, this forum is not that bad IMO.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 12-29-2011 at 11:13 AM.

There are people who plagiarize and don't give credit to the person who comes up with the idea. Seriously, who would like to have their ideas stolen ?
    Yes exactly
    Last edited by trubblman; 12-29-2011 at 12:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    If you want to run for president, you may need to visit every families, go on TV, newspaper, and let people to know who you are. When appear in front of the public eyes, you have to prove that you will be a good president by presenting your idea. The follow answer just won't work.

person A: When you become US president, how will you balance budget?
    president candidate: That's a secret and I won't release it to the public.

If you have a book to publish or a DVD to sell in the near future, you may have to let people to know your name as much as possible. If nobody knows who you are, your book and DVD will not have any customers.

Besides businese reason, to help others is always a good thing to do. The day when you die, your knowledge will go with you. Whether you are willing to share or not won't make any difference. People may remember you as a person willing to share, or a person who keeps everything to yourself. The decision will be all yours.

there are 2 things that you don't want to share:

- Your best moves.
    - How to counter it.
    Well if we were trying to sell something or promote ourself, that would be different story, but most people are not, so your reasoning does not apply to most.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Well if we were trying to sell something or promote ourself, that would be different story, but most people are not, so your reasoning does not apply to most.
    How about just help others?

How about just help others?
    You need to go back to original post for the reasons.

I say...if someone doesn't want to share their best stuff. so be it...

I for one dont hide anything...something i learn from my sifu, sparring with a non-wing chun opponent, or self realization i share openly...

In my mind their are no best moves...No counters...It boils down who is the better fighter. I dont care if you know know the whole wing chun system or just the best parts...

If the person is stronger, faster, and more accurate than you...then you loose...

Where i come from the best moves when fighting are

-A gun (Preferably automatic)

-Atleast Twenty friends to help you fight

If you think your Wing Chun has some closed door secret techniques in the year 2012 kudos to you and your fairy tale land. We dont live in the times of swords and spears. We live in the time of the AK-47. If your in a real life or death situtation most of the time it wont be hand to hand combat with a druken bully trying to prove a point...It will be shot into the crowd at you where you cant see the assialant. Which your secret WC techniques that you should share with every one doesnt really matter!!!

First off let me state if someone feels their WC shouldnt be shared with every one thats their business. I totally disagree with the reasoning. But its their business to not share certain aspects on public forum, with friends or with family.

But my pet peeve is when someone says to me "you shouldnt be sharing that information with the public." My Question is how is what im sharing with you gonna stop my 12" Guage shotgun? Unless i take you to gun range you dont have no life or death kung fu...If you add a knife, machete, or metal baseball to your fight you may be actually able to take a life...but i doubt very seriously you will be able to defeat someone with a magial chi ball from your spirit.

So by all means keep your hidden techniques a secret...if i decide to discuss some thing i like about wing chun...dont give me any back lip about it...Because remember wing chun is fist style..Not a super deadly dimak style that kills your opponents in 10 seconds!
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    You need to go back to original post for the reasons.
    That was exactly what I had said.

Besides businese reason, to help others is always a good thing to do.

Personally the reason for sharing is to hear counter arguments and different perspectives and POVs that can provide a platform for introspection and self development (even if it is only through affirmation that the original POV was correct). Only an arrogant fool believes that they have all of the answers and is unwilling to learn from others. Without sharing there is no dialogue and no learning. Sharing "best stuff", I couldn't comment on. All of my Wing Chun is equally valuable and it is often the most humble of basic punches that become my "best stuff" when under pressure. Only my humble opinion, have a great new year.
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook