Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stunning new image of Saturn released

Stunning new image of Saturn released

"Science fiction movies have spoiled us on high definition views of our planetary neighbors, but real-life photographs with equal jaw-dropping potential are exceedingly rare. That's what makes NASA's awe-inspiring snapshot of Saturn (hi-res version here) such a stunning piece of eye candy.

Taken by NASA's Cassini robotic orbiter, the shot was captured from the dark side of Saturn as the Sun's bright rays illuminated every piece of dust and debris circling the planet. Cassini has offered astronomers a never-before-seen look at Saturn and revealed more information about the planet than any craft before it. The craft has taken so many pictures of the ringed wonder that they were recently made into a short flyby film that looks like it was created by George Lucas rather than a robotic space explorer.

The Cassini probe was launched in 1997 and took a further 7 years to reach Saturn's orbit. The total cost of its overarching objective of studying the ringed planet stands at a staggering $3.26 billion. However, the wealth of information it has wrought — including amazing pictures like the one above, and recordings of massive lightning storms on the planet — have already made it one of the best investments in space exploration. Hopefully Juno — which began a 5-year trek to Jupiter just last month — will bring us some equally stunning shots of Saturn's neighbor."

Source:
    http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technolo...144133480.html

pics a bit old.

hey, please remove the sarcastic insult from your sig line. You are taking my stance out of context and insulting me with the barb.

I don't put "bjj blue is a right wing hater" in my sig line I would appreciate it if you could show a little tact and remove the insult from yours. If you are going to quote me, do it directly, with context and without comment.

The alternative is you not posting here anymore.

thanks.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Please start a new thread or PM me if you want to discuss my sig. I was told by a moderator to not take threads off track, but to start a new one. This thread is about the planet Saturn, not my sig. And since I follow the rules, I won't discuss my sig in a thread about Saturn.

thanks

You're welcome.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

I don't put "bjj blue is a right wing hater" in my sig line
    Of course you don't; he doesn't hate right wingers.

b'dum dum tschh!

On topic, I really dig astronomy threads and pictures. I've got three Hubble posters in my study, including my absolute fave the Crab Nebula.

Check out the high res pic (on the largest zoom) at the Crab Nebula's own wiki page.

The Crab is sublime. It has something to teach humanity.

Last edited by Taixuquan99; 09-09-2011 at 10:57 AM.

Thanks for the Pic

I'm an avid follower of Space News.

My recent favourite pictures are actually Time-Lapse movies of Stellar Jets; the Hubble Space Telescope has been used to view certain stellar jets repeatedly over the last 14 years, and now astronomers have stitched the images together, revealing how these jets move and change over time. The movies are both fascinating and stunningly beautiful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFB0v...eature=feedlik - my favourite
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufadg...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvA9G...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Mxpl...eature=related

Also of interest:

Dead NASA satellite set to fall from space in late September/early October, but no one knows where and when yet
    Last edited by Xiao3 Meng4; 09-09-2011 at 12:56 PM.
    "It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own." -Cicero

Whats even cooler about Saturn are her moons.

In the second video you can see as Cassini flys by Titan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titan_(moon)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8tCa...eature=related
    Skip to ~1:00 for footage of the Hyugens probe's descent through Titan's atmosphere.

then Mimas

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mimas_(moon)

At the end is Enceladus

Possible water ocean
    In late 2008, scientists observed water vapor spewing from Enceladus's surface. This could indicate the presence of liquid water, which might also make it possible for Enceladus to support life.[57] Candice Hansen,[58] a scientist with NASA's Jet Propulsion Lab, headed up a research team on the plumes after they were found to be moving at ~2,189 kilometers per hour (1,360 miles per hour). Since that speed is unusual and is usually attained when water is involved, they decided to investigate the compositions of the plumes.[59]
    Eventually it was discovered that in the E-ring about 6% of particles contain 0.5–2% of sodium salts by mass, which is a significant amount. In the parts of the plume close to Enceladus the fraction of "salty" particles increases to 70% by number and >99% by mass. Such particles presumably are frozen spray from the salty underground ocean. On the other hand, the small salt-poor particles form by ****genous nucleation directly from the gas phase. The sources of salty particles are uniformly distributed along the tiger stripes, whereas sources of "fresh" particles are closely related to the high-speed gas jets. The "salty" particles move slowly and mostly fall back onto the surface, while the fast "fresh" particles escape to the E-ring, explaining its salt-poor composition.[60]
    The "salty" composition of the plume strongly argues that its source is a subsurface salty ocean or subsurface caverns filled with salty water.[61] Alternatives such as the clathrate sublimation hypothesis can not explain how "salty" particles form.[60] Additionally, Cassini found traces of organic compounds in some dust grains.[60] Enceladus is therefore a candidate for harboring extraterrestrial life.[62]
    Last edited by wenshu; 09-09-2011 at 01:35 PM.

i see your strategy david jamieson. get bjj and ahrdwork to keep posting, and getting them addicted to posting here, then suddenly taking it all away. make them feel attached to this forum then rip it from their fingers. its beautiful.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    i see your strategy david jamieson. get bjj and ahrdwork to keep posting, and getting them addicted to posting here, then suddenly taking it all away. make them feel attached to this forum then rip it from their fingers. its beautiful.
    you haven't read the art of war yet?

I recommend it. Keeps drains clean and a fresh smell through out the whole house.

MK, you are a real man. I take it all back.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

you haven't read the art of war yet?

I recommend it. Keeps drains clean and a fresh smell through out the whole house.

MK, you are a real man. I take it all back.
    aren't you the guy who said the fed is a private corporation?

jk...don't touch my sig if you please, mister kfqgm man.

Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    aren't you the guy who said the fed is a private corporation?

jk...don't touch my sig if you please, mister kfqgm man.
    *shakes fist rapidly and wildly at the sky*
    Kung Fu is good for you.

hey bjjblue i think you are a stupid gay. a stupid stupid gay. oh wahts that you cant answer because you have ban LOLODOFLOLOOLOdsdfg

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

dude, not cool.
    Kung Fu is good for you.