Quote Originally Posted by EternalSpring View Post
Also, I guess I could also elaborate on some of the stuff I'm curious about. A lot of people who talk about the difference between Ving Tsun and Xing Yi mention that Xing Yi generates force more like boxing. I'm also familiar with boxing (have been cross training in it since the end of summer) and I was wondering if anyone could elaborate on how Xing Yi is more similar to boxing.

(Note: i may say some super noob things now about Xing Yi but thats because my understanding of it as of now is only from the internet. On a plus note, I'm always glad and willing to learn and be corrected and I dont/wont argue about things I dont know anything about ^^)

The stance in Xing Yi (San ti Shi?) is said to have around 70/30 weight distribution with the 70 on the back leg. I guess one difference that's clearly noticeable in terms of the stance is that the front foot's toe is pointed straight forward. So from what I understand based on boxing, does this mean that when you step forward you put all your weight on the front leg for a split second and use that moment to twist your hips like when throwing a cross? Or are we talking smaller and more subtle shift of the hip generated through a central/center line?
depends on the school of xing yi, wang shu jin style is more like that, in terms of putting the weight on the front for a split second, but other styles use the half step way of walking which means its all back weighted. xing yi when trained correctly, uses combinations like boxing...so boxing you learn, cross, jab, reverse, separately then you do it in combos, same way with xing yi, you can do pi,beng,pao in combo etc. you have to adjust the movements. just like in boxing. the power of xing yi, comes from the small rotation of the ankle, knee, hip waste, shoulder elbow to the fist. and in some movements, even the wrist...like in tsuan chuan..