Thread: Lama boxing uppercut

Lama boxing uppercut

The "Lion's Roar" lineages (Lama Paai, Bak Hok Paai, Hap Ga Kyuhn, etc.,) have a basic principle of "keeping the hands away from the body." Since we obviously cannot always choose the range we must use there are also short range tactics for when we are force to fight in a da men position.

A common method for face-to-face situations is to respond with a series of johng uppercuts with the elbows close to the body. The waist rolls with each strike and the legs help generate force. The head is angled forward to take blows on the thicker parts of the skull.

The continuous uppercuts allow you to clinch at will. They can be combined with hooks and overhands to find more open targets.

But it also means you can be put into a clinch yourself if you fail to dominate the center.

Any thoughts on this as a tactic? Commonalities with methods in other Southern styles?
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

Quote Originally Posted by jdhowland View Post
    The "Lion's Roar" lineages (Lama Paai, Bak Hok Paai, Hap Ga Kyuhn, etc.,) have a basic principle of "keeping the hands away from the body." Since we obviously cannot always choose the range we must use there are also short range tactics for when we are force to fight in a da men position.

A common method for face-to-face situations is to respond with a series of johng uppercuts with the elbows close to the body. The waist rolls with each strike and the legs help generate force. The head is angled forward to take blows on the thicker parts of the skull.

The continuous uppercuts allow you to clinch at will. They can be combined with hooks and overhands to find more open targets.

But it also means you can be put into a clinch yourself if you fail to dominate the center.

Any thoughts on this as a tactic? Commonalities with methods in other Southern styles?
    In Bak Mei Sam Mor Kun at the 3-4 second mark http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0_-b..._order&list=UL there is a groin hit with reverse fu jow...I'm still learning the third form so I'm not tottally sure how BM likes to use it with different footwork.

It feels different then my long uppercuts from kaido's Hop ga moves. lol I play the BM kinda like a sneaky jab and use the long punch as more of a disrupting power shot, but then I think kaido may have studied Southern Praying Mantis so who knows what kind of ging is in his kajukenbo he uses short and long lower level strikes. more thinking out loud than adding anything usefull
    Last edited by diego; 01-03-2012 at 12:05 PM.

The uppercuts I'm referring to are not like the long faan johng moves. The upper arms remain in contact with the ribs throughout the moves.

Sorry I can't show it--don't own a camera.
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

Quote Originally Posted by dcrjradmonish View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/user/naumutro...28/LEQaUM_HWJE

I like this guys vids on lama kung fu.

So do I. He has a good build and good power for the system. Some of the moves in his set are done more deliberately, more short power than we do the same moves but that may only be his demo style. Reminds me of Lihn Bouh Kyuhn style.

His short vids on basic punching methods are some of the best I've seen.