Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intervention

Intervention

Hey Team,

Looking back over my violent encounters I was sober enough to remember I realise had I been more aware and experienced many of them could have been avoided.

There are some however that could not.

Intervening in another persons situation. I.e someone is getting beat up, you don't know the situation but it is clearly one sided and you estimate you can help.

I know most of these encounters are situation specific, but what is a good general strategy?

Do you present yourself loudly and get between them? Do you stealthily approach the aggressor and grapple him? Do you shout from a distance? How much force is legal? Strike or control? How do you de-escalate someone else's situation?

(For arguments sake lets say our situation is one man is on the floor, another is kicking his head in, no more visible people and no more information about how the situation arose)

You either have the courage, ways, and means of stopping the violence, or you don't.

It really is that simple.

There is no way to determine the variables and what outcome it will lead to.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    You either have the courage, ways, and means of stopping the violence, or you don't.
    Somethime it has nothing to do with courage. It may have to do with "If you don't do something, you may feel ashame for the rest of your life."

"Fight you may die, run you live, at least for a while."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLrrBs8JBQo

When a guy attacks a girl, your friend said, "You are a TCMA guy. Are you going to do something about it?" Either you will let your friend to laught at you on your face for the rest of your life, or you take action and have to deal with whatever may happen.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 01-02-2012 at 11:51 AM.

I actually deal with situations, assaultive situations, at work. Often times I don't know who is at fault or what led up to the situation. If you goal is to stop the violence, which mine is...I give a loud shout, something to distract the attacker, they maybe focused on the other person, I want them to know I'm coming. You give them something else to think about...maybe the other person gets a second or two reprieve and may try to get away. I also want the individual to know that there are going to be repercussions...meaning they will be dealing with me and it no longer becomes a one on one situation.

Secondly, I move at them with haste, I want to pressure them into making a decision...usually its to refocus their attention to me. Become another threat to them or potential adversary, I don't want to be that...but it allows me to separate the combatants. I've learned that at times, I can actually herd someone away from their victim by circling them, especially if they know you're moving directly behind them. I'm a bigger man, my size may or may not be enough to make the attacker reconsider, it will buy me some time to begin to engage them in conversation. To try to diffuse it. Be brief, they train us to use 8 words or less, someone worked up will only hear a few words...I try to use 2 or 3 words, What's going on? or Stop it! or Hey!!! If none of that works...which is possible, but rare, I move right in to engage.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Somethime it has nothing to do with courage. It may have to do with "If you don't do something, you may feel ashame for the rest of your life."

"Fight you may lie, run you live, at least for a while."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLrrBs8JBQo

When a guy attacks a girl, your friend said, "You are a TCMA guy. Are you going to do something about it?" Either you will let your friend to laught at you on your face for the rest of your life, or you take action and have to deal with whatever may happen.
    Well, if you don't want to feel shame, then do something. You might fail, but you tried. Your ego really should be the least of your worries when you consider it is the least of your possessions.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

You all seem to be thinking in terms of the guy getting beat up doesn't deserve it. Maybe he owes money, threatened family, attempted to rob, etc.

I would intervene if I thought serious injury to either one was imminent. Other than that a slug out fist fight, even if one-sided, wouldn't warrant intervention. It might just be a fight club but the other couple guys didn't show up that day.

Now a guy beating a girl, a kid or senior warrants intervention. Just consider you're opening yourself up to lawsuits or someone possibly retaliating with a gun or attacking your family or criminal charges if your the one arrested.
    When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Well, if you don't want to feel shame, then do something. You might fail, but you tried. Your ego really should be the least of your worries when you consider it is the least of your possessions.
    I will not call that "ego". If you can do something and change the outcome but you didn't. You may just regret for the rest of your life.

When I was young, my friend knocked on my window at the middle of the night. His young brother was beaten up pretty bad and he wanted revenge. I grabbed whatever that I could find (a sword, a staff, ...) and went with him and jointed with many of his other friends, without knowing who and how many guys that we were going to fight that night. I could say that I was tired and needed to go to bed. If I did that, I could lost that friend forever. Was that "ego"? It was pure friend help friend. When we were young, that was very important. When we get older and have family, we may lose that kind of young heart and become "selfish".
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 01-02-2012 at 12:07 PM.

in the old time, if you save a guy, he becomes your friend.

if you save a girl, she may become your wife.

ouch.

in the face of confrontation

you have to calculate everything

odds of winning

routes of safety exits or escape

if everything is in your favor

---

if everything is not in your favor

--

every body counts their odds or chances of winning, including your opponent or potential threats

why not you?

---

I will not call that "ego". If you can do something and change the outcome but you didn't. You may just regret for the rest of your life.

When I was young, my friend knocked on my window at the middle of the night. His young brother was beaten up pretty bad and he wanted revenge. I grabbed whatever that I could find (a sword, a staff, ...) and went with him and jointed with many of his other friends, without knowing who and how many guys that we were going to fight that night. I could say that I was tired and needed to go to bed. If I did that, I could lost that friend forever. Was that "ego"? It was pure friend help friend. When we were young, that was very important. When we get older and have family, we may lose that kind of young heart and become "selfish".
    Actually, yes, I would say there was plenty of ego at play in that scenario you gave.

1. Revenge was the motivator
    2. Seeking to overpower another without knowing the context except that a friend is telling you.
    3. If anything, any man should throw himself more into the service of others as he ages.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

@Hammer,

Thanks, That seems like a good strategy. Certainly if I was large and imposing then intimidation is a good starting point. Also if you have some kind of authority i.e your a bouncer, security guard etc it is helpful psychologically on both sides.

I like the idea of moving behind, force them to turn around with a shout and get a chance at engaging them in conversation.

If diplomacy fails however you have thrown away your surprise advantage...

I would go for this approach if I had some kind of authority or if i was large, but given as I am average height and build I'm not sure it would be as effective, I would still need a strong back up plan.

Actually Ren,

I'm not in position of authority, I just project that. I'm actually a lowly clerk. Sometimes its what you project...even yelling for help (when there is no one around) can cause doubt in the attackers mind. Getting surprise could get you killed, or even worse you are attacking the victim who may have turned the tables on his/her attacker. What is your goal, to stop the violence or play avenging angel?

You don't have to be big, and at times being big is a hinderance...I've had others go after me cuz of my size. Sometimes fear brings out aggression in others. If you intervene, fear of reprisal cannot be foremost in your mind...they will sense that fear. Anyone can take a cheap shot...
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

Ok Hammer I see,

I get that, I'm not particularly advocating any strategy, just playing with the ideas (talking them out helps my thought process).

What you suggested is a reasonable strategy. Morally, legally and strategically.

Lets change the example situation to a man beating a clearly weaker opponent (child, woman or pensioner)

Quote Originally Posted by RenDaHai View Post
    Ok Hammer I see,

I get that, I'm not particularly advocating any strategy, just playing with the ideas (talking them out helps my thought process).

What you suggested is a reasonable strategy. Morally, legally and strategically.

Lets change the example situation to a man beating a clearly weaker opponent (child, woman or pensioner)
    Has he offended me, my family, or the Wudang Temple?

In America that is a good way to get shot, end up in jail, or both.

Especially with a domestic situation playing out in the street. While all concerned with how dashing you look, you fail to take the into account that the woman you think you're saving is going to stay loyal to the guy beating her with closed fists in public.

Cops show up and she says that you assaulted them.