Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ironfist view on protein, vegetarianism

Lost_Disciple Guest

bodyfat %age

I don't know if the first time I got it checked, whether or not the girl did it right, but I just got my bodyfat %age checked yesterday. She checked each measurement like 4 or 5 times to make sure she was getting consistant results. My official reading is now 15.5% (down from 19.5%). I know it's higher than heck, I'd like to be about 5 or 6; but at least it isn't quite as borderline.

Brian_CA Guest

caffeine

wujidude,

Well, I seem to remember the lecture she gave me for drinking too much of it. It generally is bad for you. Caffeine is murder on your adrenal glands and kidneys. Too much will also send your endrocrine system into overload. Thereby affecting how your other systems work. It can greatly affect your digestive and urinary systems, not mention your central nervous system.

However, I just can't seem to give up my cup of coffee in the morning. Although I no longer drink caffeine throughout the day anymore.

Brian
    San Francisco

IronFist Guest
    "I know it's higher than heck, I'd like to be about 5 or 6; but at least it isn't quite as borderline. "

Um... if you get your bf down that low for extended periods of time, it will be unhealthy. Even pro BB'ers only keep it that low for a day or so, maybe a week tops. Healthy-low is like 8 or 9. Abs become visible at 10 (that's the general rule).

Iron

David Guest

?

How do you calculate body-fat % without taking somebody apart or cooking them?

The powers of Kung Fu never fail!
    -- Hong Kong Phooey

Fu-Pow Guest
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> The Doctor which I spoke with is in sports medicine. She is one of the the leading nutritionist in her field and one of the top applied kineisologist in the country. I think she is fairly qualifed to give accurate answers on the subject.[/quote]

Name and publications please......

Fu-Pow

"If you are talking about sport that is one thing. But when you are talking about combat-as it is-well then, baby, you'd better train every part of your body" - Bruce Lee

Brian_CA Guest

Name for now, will look up publications

Fu-Pow

Her Name is Doctor Lise Parenteau of Applied Kinesiology of San Francisco. She practices Chiropractic, Applied Kinesiology, Nutrition, supplemantation, Health and Fitness. She has an excellent track record with all of the above. In addition has unparrelled reputation within the medical community both in San Francisco and throughout the United States.

Brian
    San Francisco, CA

Lost_Disciple Guest

oops

I meant 5 or 6% for competition. My friend that I've been helping train told me that, on average, san shou fighters in Taiwan have 5 or 6% bf for competition.

10% would be niiiice....I don't think I've seen my abs since I was 16.

Thinking about taking an electricity or water test to get a more accurate bf reading than the good ole' caliper.

IronFist Guest
    Lost, well, I don't know because I've never seen a Taiwan San Shou competition, but that sounds a little bit low even for fighting. But if you have seen them, 5 or 6% generally looks like this: very prominent muscle definition, including very visible striations, extreme vascularity, a very defined jaw line. Again, since I've never seen them I wouldn't know for sure how they are, but most people at 5 or 6% would be too dehydrated to fight hard. Most UFC'ers are well over 10%.

But, good luck with your bf reduction. Going from 15 to 10 is easier than going from 10-7. The lower you get, the harder it is to reduce it further.

Iron

harry_the_monk Guest

caffein

Way I found of giving up the caffein was by substituting it for ginger tea instead. Then its easier to come off ginger tea(or just to have the odd cup from time to time.)

Peace...

dumog93 Guest

myth about bodyfat%

I know way too many people who state they are 10% bodyfat or below to believe everyone i hear that from.Most of these people are either exaggerating or possibly using faulty measurement techniques like fatfold calipers and the like.For instance,I have next to no fat on my arms,but still have a little around the edges of my abs.If i took a fatfold caliper measurement off my arms and let that stand,i would likely be around 7% give or take a percentage,but am actually closer to about 10-12%.The only ways i know to measure inside of a percent are either to weigh in the water(and compare it to out of the water weight) and some electrical means that i haven't used before.In short i find it hard to digest that all these people are 5-6% bodyfat as that is almost unattainable and fairly unhealthy for extended periods.Even wrestlers,who we know are to the extreme in diet and fasting,usually lie somewhere in the 6-10 range.I hear 5% i automatically think the guy is a moron and is hurting himself(and getting weaker)or is completely full of beans.

-Devildog

Hieu Nguyen Guest
    Hey ironfist could you recommend me a good diet to go by I just cant seem to lose the gut.
    I do resistance training 3-5 day per week, not heavy just enough to do the exercises correctly. and I train MA 5 days per week.
    I wouldn't mind becoming a vegetarian though?

IronFist Guest
    The general rule is that abs become visible at 10%. This varies for everyone a little, tho.

Iron

origenx Guest
    I've been tested for bodyfat % at 5% before. Frankly, I think 7-10% is a healthier range. 5% is too low.

Competitive fighters only plummet that low temporarily to fight in a lower wt class.

wujidude Guest

Thanks Brian and Harry . . .

I've done a lot more research on caffeine, pouring through both original reports and abstracts. It's amazingly bad for you . . . I'll try the ginger tea. It's supposed to be good for digestion, too.

BTW, I've heard of Dr. Parenteau. She's well-respected up and down the West Coast, according to friends who work in the health care professions.

shaolin_knight Guest

been gone for a while...

to the guy that said dairy is bad for you, I eat almost no dairy. it's just in a few odd foods I occasionally(sp) eat. I just don't make a big deal about it. I don't eat any other animal products though, including gelatin.