Thread: CMA in Austin, TX? Newbie question here.

CMA in Austin, TX? Newbie question here.

I've recently moved to Austin, TX, and I'm looking at CMA options in town. Would any of you have any helpful feedback, or even recommendations? It seems that the few threads I'm finding on the area seem a little outdated. Thanks for your help!

anything in specific you looking for? internal, external? northern or southern?
    ...just don't go to master gohirng's school.

I'm actually looking for options for both internal and external. I have yet to settle on northern or southern, as of yet. This will be my first foray into martial arts, so I'm still doing a bit of research on that aspect. I'm interested to see what the members of this board would recommend(and why)... and even the places members would avoid. I'm not too keen on falling prey to a, for lack of a better term, mcdojo. Thanks for the response!

jeff hughes is a well-known mantis stylist in the area. he also teaches eagle claw - but rquires you learn the core chin woo routines before either animal style (these core routines are pretty much long fist, so you'd be getting ample experience with northern styles). that being said, i know he's started marketing mma and crossfit - so you may wanna inquire as to how much he still focuses on CMA.

like i said, i would not suggest gohring to anyone...i would rather avoid any claims of libel, so i'll just say that you can read some reviews to find out about the guy.

there's a choy lay fut school around anderson road...they seem like nice guys, but i don't know about the training as i've only stopped by for other purposes.

i think there's a shaolin monk that moved up from houstin - as well as a couple wushu groups. i don't know how well organized the wushu groups are - but i don't think you'll find a very high level of wushu in austin.

also..there's a group of us who meet at a gym around the beecaves/barton creek mall area. there's no teaching - but if you'd be interested in training...

finally, i would say most of the internal stuff is gonna be crap. most austin folk wanna focus on the new age aspect of it all and could care less about legit taiji, bagua, etc...they'd rather just look ridiculous and pretentious whilst whoring for attention in zilker park.

Got some excellent Shuai Chiao there with this forum's own Master John Wang as well as Sifu Dave Pickens.

Sifu Jeff Hughes is there. I used to train at this school, but when I was there, it was big on northern mantis, chin woo, and a bit of taiji. These days it seems they've added some of Hackleman's fitness & a grappling curriculum.

Master Santanu Rahman is teaching Tat Mau Wong's Hung Sing Choy Lay Fut (southern long arm). I think he used to post here as well and seems a nice guy.

I also stumbled across the the Moy Yat Kung Fu Academy for ving tsun.

I haven't lived there for almost 12 years now, so I don't know a lot about the current scene.

If I lived there now, I'd probably train at either Austin Muay Thai or Johns Gym.

EDIT: That last part should say "If I lived there now and wanted to train muay thai, i'd probably go with..." Because if I wanted to do san shou, I'm pretty sure I'd at least crosstrain with Master Wang.
    Last edited by Pork Chop; 01-31-2012 at 11:44 AM.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marzhase View Post
    I've recently moved to Austin, TX, and I'm looking at CMA options in town. Would any of you have any helpful feedback, or even recommendations? It seems that the few threads I'm finding on the area seem a little outdated. Thanks for your help!
    If you are interest in "combat", no forms, only partner training like the following clip, you can PM me. My guys also cross train BJJ, wrestling, MT, and Sambo. They love to have new sparring/wrestling partner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlr19Tgk23c
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 01-31-2012 at 10:42 AM.

I've actually contacted John Wang via email. Nice to know I'm headed in the right direction.

Out of curiousity, so that I know what to look for should I move again in the future, why exactly do you recommend these people? Is it word of mouth? Experience? Something on the website that grabs you(and, in contrast, something on the website that throws a red flag)?

Thanks again for all the feedback, as well as training options. ... And let's not forget putting up with my questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Marzhase View Post
    Out of curiousity, so that I know what to look for should I move again in the future, why exactly do you recommend these people? Is it word of mouth? Experience? Something on the website that grabs you(and, in contrast, something on the website that throws a red flag)?
    For my recommendations, most of them were personal experiences either online or in person.

When I look at advertising for a school; ie a webpage, I look for specific things:
    1. To grab students from the masses, they'll need to spend time explaining the benefits of the training.
    2. In order to let the students know what they are getting into and/or grab prospective students looking for a specific style, they'll need to spend time explaining the background, history, and approach of the specific style.
    3. They need to establish credibility. There needs to be info on background & accomplishments of the instructor. If there's a fight team, they should have info on the fighters and their accomplishments as well.

If any one of those 3 is missing, it can come off kind of fishy.
    I've seen sites where they spend pages talking about the benefits & the style, but nothing on the instructor and where he learned the style.
    Other times, they make the teacher look like he walks on water, but never really explain what he's teaching.

Sometimes people may have perfect marketing, but they have a bad reputation in a particular area. With martial arts schools it's always, "buyer beware".

The best rule of thumb is to try each place out and see which place gives you the best vibe.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.

hi

go train here http://www.austinvtkungfu.com/ I've met Master Webb and he is highly skilled. I do not currently train wing chun so it's not coming from a biased point of view. Their ving tsun system is much softer in a good way than some other wing chun systems and Master Webb is extremely dedicated. He also hosts summer wing chun camps for students. I guaratee you will be satisfied. If you are interested let me know and i'll give you his facebook info also and you can call or contact him that way.

i thought texas is really racist? why is thre so many kung fu schools there?

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    Texas is a big place with a lot of people from all over the place.
    It's no more or less racist than the street you live on.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

LMFAO
    I'm not really sure where that image came from; either the former president(s) or the actions of certain people back in the day.

These days, it's pretty diverse, and becoming more-so. My town is 63% latino. The town in question, Austin is often called the San Francisco of Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    If you are interest in "combat", no forms, only partner training like the following clip, you can PM me. My guys also cross train BJJ, wrestling, MT, and Sambo. They love to have new sparring/wrestling partner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlr19Tgk23c
    i would snatch this offer up if i were you man!!!
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Blog Entries
    Back in 1973, there were only 4 MA schools in Austin, Tx.

- TKD school (by Mike Atherton).
    - Kempo Karate school (by Tony Martinez).
    - Soryu Karate school (by Joe Alvarado).
    - Peishaolin Kung Fu Institute (by YouKnowWho).

http://img861.imageshack.us/img861/5153/breaky.jpg
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 02-04-2012 at 03:50 PM.