Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: TMA in modern times

I carry a Spyderco folder all the time but it's used as a screwdriver/all purpose tool more than anything.

If I were geared up for possible trouble I have a few straight knives. I do that for hiking/camping mostly since I don't frequent bad neihborhoods much these days.

Other than where you're pulling from a gun and knife are probably about the same (if you can pull one safely you can pull the other just as easy).

Suggestions on CMA empty hand styles to augment weapons carry? Short hand styles (Wing Chun, Bak Mei, etc) or Eagle Claw, CLF etc.?
    When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.

In my not terribly humble opinion; regardless of of whether we are talking hand to hand, bladed, or firearms it comes down to attitude, experience and training. Someone who’s only firearms qual is a CCP vs one someone who is (for example) unarmed but has been trained and has had actual combat experience the CCP is going to end up with his pistol stuffed into a private orifice.

I don’t think it really matters even if you’re at a “Black Belt” level. If you’ve never been in an actual fight and you’re facing someone with scars on their knuckles and a nose that’s been broke half a dozen times. You’re likely to have your ass handed to you.
    Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character.
    Albert Einstein

If a small thing has the power to make you angry, does that not indicate something about your size?
    Sydney J. Harris

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    imo its all about fixed blades if you're being realistic. why bother with having to worry opening a folder when you can draw and be ready. you draw a folder just as you would a fixed blade, yet have an additional step to have it live.
    This is where the 'interface" between armed and unarmed goes.
    You use your empty hand fighting to get into position to draw the blade ( or gun).
    Its the difference between "knife fighting" and "fighting with a knife".
    Symantics yes, but it CAN be something more.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by KungFuBiker View Post
    In my not terribly humble opinion; regardless of of whether we are talking hand to hand, bladed, or firearms it comes down to attitude, experience and training. Someone who’s only firearms qual is a CCP vs one someone who is (for example) unarmed but has been trained and has had actual combat experience the CCP is going to end up with his pistol stuffed into a private orifice.

I don’t think it really matters even if you’re at a “Black Belt” level. If you’ve never been in an actual fight and you’re facing someone with scars on their knuckles and a nose that’s been broke half a dozen times. You’re likely to have your ass handed to you.
    Wow, way to inspire the troops there. Fight back much?

Let me guess, your MMA right? Don't bother if you've never done it before for real, So how do you get that first experience?

Seriously, where does the ASSumption come from that the guy carrying the gun or knife has never been in an actual fight? This comes up so often in these forums and usually spoken by a MMA guy that thinks the only fights that ever happen are at sanctioned sporting events.

The guy with experience ALWAYS WINS right?

Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.

Quote Originally Posted by Yao Sing View Post
    Wow, way to inspire the troops there. Fight back much?

Let me guess, your MMA right? Don't bother if you've never done it before for real, So how do you get that first experience?

Seriously, where does the ASSumption come from that the guy carrying the gun or knife has never been in an actual fight? This comes up so often in these forums and usually spoken by a MMA guy that thinks the only fights that ever happen are at sanctioned sporting events.

The guy with experience ALWAYS WINS right?
    Wow did I step on your toes or what? Don’t be so sensitive.
    I am not MMA. Seriously what MMA guy would call himself “KungFuBiker. I am a student of the Traditional Chinese Martial Arts.

The point I guess I was trying (poorly I suppose) to make is that having a CCP or studying martial arts does not automatically make one into some kind of bad ass. A good combination of training and experience are required. Someone with experience, who’s not afraid to hit or be hit, is going to have the advantage over one who has done nothing but train. And yes the reverse also may hold true, someone with extensive training could quite probably win out over a street brawler who has had no training at all.

As I said previously A COMBINATION OF TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE are what will win the fight, and I believe this would hold true whether armed or unarmed.
    Last edited by KungFuBiker; 01-12-2012 at 12:57 PM.
    Albert Einstein

If a small thing has the power to make you angry, does that not indicate something about your size?
    Sydney J. Harris

Quote Originally Posted by KungFuBiker View Post
    A COMBINATION OF TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE are what will win the fight, and I believe this would hold true whether armed or unarmed.
    i think we can all agree on this. i would add that heart/bravery can be a deciding element to factor in there.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

I guess you haven't been around here long enough to read some of the sillyness that passes for knowledge/experience. Most of it coming from the TMA haters (read MMA nutriders). And yeah, it bugs me.

Ideas like 'You can't do something unless you've done it for real', are crap. Am I supposed to practice shooting by shooting at real people? Don't bother wasting time at the gun range just go down to the hood and get experience by robbing the corner drug dealer.

Seriously, it sounded to me like why bother trying to defend yourself unless you've actually been in armed combat. Not very incouraging.

Sorry, but I got nothing constructive from your posts. We all know the better trained/conditioned/experienced/bigger/stronger fighter has the edge in a fight. This has been done to death. I'd be more concerned with how to deal with such attackers/opponents.

Something constructive to share would be welcome. Saying a non-fighter would get his a$$ handed to him in the street by an experienced fighter is an insult to the intelligence of everyone here.

So now, what kind of bike you ride? Can't really make it out in your avatar. Mine is a Suzuki Intruder VS1400, Jardine forward controls, Mustang seat, Vance & Hines exhaust.
    Last edited by Yao Sing; 01-12-2012 at 03:39 PM.

It sounds to me like you think I should not bother posting anything unless I have reason to believe that you would find them worthwhile. (How in the hell would I know what you might find worthy?)
    I couldn’t care less if you find my posts un-informative. I am after all just putting forth my opinion and quite frankly my opinion is worth, same as yours, exactly what it costs.

The bike was assembled by Custom MotorCycles of California (CMC). It has an S&S 88 cubic inch engine (1340 CC) mated to an Andrews Gears High Tranny.
    Albert Einstein

Sydney J. Harris

Blog Entries
    Mind,body, and spirit.....do you have what it takes to end a fight? that is the only truth!!!
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

First real response.

recently there were several 14 year old little girls who mercilessly beat this other 14 year old little girl at a local train stop. this is some pretty good evidence that people generally have what it takes to take someone out. even little girls.

when it comes right down to it, and you are a human being in the middle of a violent episode, most of us have what it takes to finish someone, simply by being a human being.

i dont believe we are as far removed from the primitive as we would like to tell ourselves.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Nice bike but I'm grouchy today. I just don't see a defeatist attitude as appropriote for a fight mentality. Gee why fight back if the guy is better than me.

I've had a couple of old school choppers. Coincidentially they were the same year and both raked/extended springers. I rode the 1972 Honda CB750 chopper from late 1970's to the late 80's. The other was a 1972 Ironhead Sportster a few years ago. I need to get back into a newer custom bike.

Suggestions on CMA empty hand styles to augment weapons carry? Short hand styles (Wing Chun, Bak Mei, etc) or Eagle Claw, CLF etc.?
    Shaolin monkey sabre with a garden machete.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    when it comes right down to it, and you are a human being in the middle of a violent episode, most of us have what it takes to finish someone, simply by being a human being.
    Truth..........

Nice bike but I'm grouchy today. I just don't see a defeatist attitude as appropriote for a fight mentality. Gee why fight back if the guy is better than me.
    Where; anywhere, in my posts do you see a "defeatist attitude"? All I was saying (clearly I thought) is that training absent experience or experience absent training is not as good as a well rounded combination of both.
    And yes full contact sparing does count as experience. Because you have traded punches and kicks with an actual adversary...Enough. I will belabor the point no more.
    Last edited by KungFuBiker; 01-13-2012 at 02:19 PM.
    Albert Einstein

Sydney J. Harris