Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Zhai Yao Yi Lu

Quote Originally Posted by 18elders View Post
    on defense 1- try hooking second punch with right hand, gwa block incoming hook as you punch opponents face with right hand.
    Sounds like a plan! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by 18elders View Post
    the defender is leaning his head into the incoming hook, not a good idea imho.
    Yes, we practice the techniques up close and personal. I want the bob to just be low enough to pass under the hook and I want the defender to be close when striking the opponent's ribs with Peach Hidden Under the Leaf.

Thanks for your feedback!
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Maybe I'm not seeing it, but the movements 9-11 you showed in the video do not look familiar. Are you doing them in a different manner?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by iunojupiter View Post
    Maybe I'm not seeing it, but the movements 9-11 you showed in the video do not look familiar. Are you doing them in a different manner?

Cheers
    Good eye!

Yes, we are doing the movements in a little different manner than the Taiji Meihua Tanglangquan version of the form you may be familiar with via Zhang Bingdou. The Hong Kong Qixing Tanglangquan version of the form uses a right Hill Climbing Stance for movements 9 - 11. We also omit the stepping forward of the right leg with the right punch in the drill.

The movements that we are drilling can be seen at 00:13 - 00:14 here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxNS1xBhHnI

Later, my students will also drill the form in the Taiji Meihua Tanglangquan manner.
    Last edited by mooyingmantis; 02-22-2013 at 02:44 PM.
    Richard A. Tolson

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

Ah. I see it now. It looked similar, but with a different focus on the technique. My ignorance of other mantis styles comes out in situations such as this

Looks good. I think I like the TJMH method better, but then again, I'm biased

Your son is looking good. He's shaping up to be a fine young Mantis Boxer

Cheers,
    Josh

Quote Originally Posted by iunojupiter View Post
    Ah. I see it now. It looked similar, but with a different focus on the technique. My ignorance of other mantis styles comes out in situations such as this

Looks good. I think I like the TJMH method better, but then again, I'm biased

Your son is looking good. He's shaping up to be a fine young Mantis Boxer

Cheers,
    Josh
    The TJMHTLQ method rocks too! It just has a different strategy than the HK QXTLQ version. The HK QXTLQ uses a continual pressure on the enemy, while the TJMHTLQ version has a "give and take" pressure.

Thanks for the comment on my son! The video of him was from over a year ago. He is much bigger and stronger now.
    Richard A. Tolson