Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: some sort of Bong Sau?

some sort of Bong Sau?

Not saying it is or it isn't. A friend of mine posted this on another site. Thought it could be a good discussion starting point.
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

I think the elbow has to be more involved to really call it a bon, though similar tactics I guess.

More IMO a cross defense protecting the jaw with the shoulder.

Good discussion point definitely. Had to think about it.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

What you see in boxing among african americans is the fusion of 52 blocks...its a african american boxing martial arts style that imploys ideas from wing chun and other martial arts.

Google 52 blocks...i have not found a website showing what professional african americans from boxing to mma who study it...But its big in the prison system and the inner city areas!!!

It is essential an urban street fighting art!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38uVH9-DCdk

This often results in fractures to the metacarpels. This can also occur to punches landing on the head, which is why palm strikes are the preferred method of striking to the head in hand to hand combat. Slaps are used in 52 Blocks street fighting moves. Its an ever advancing method involving dynamic torso twisting, tight footwork, shifting stances, and a natural flowing pressure-fighting feel. Some of the “blocks” or moves are:
    ■Skull and Crossbones
    ■Close Door Open Door
    ■Triangle Train
    ■Black Man Rising
    ■Kiss and Catch
    ■Scoop against shank
    ■“g-lock”
    ■The pants leg flip
    ■Shaolin blocks
    ■Secret g=mc lock
    ■Defense against an uppercut
    ■Circle hands trap
    ■Hook and take down.
    ■Open gates (buttefly) and take down.
    ■Choke out
    ■The shank
    ■Gun disarming
    ■Slap hands etc.

Prominent New York trainer, Lyte Burly maintains that 52 Blocks “is 90% elbows”. Unlike the stiffer approach though used in Muay Thai, 52 requires fluidity of the shoulder joints and rotator cuffs. This is achieved by daily mobility exercises that increase and maintain that suppleness of the joints.

Footwork and body Movements

Although developed in close quarters situations, such as crowded and cramped cells, it does have footwork and evasive moves of the head. It is common to hone reflexes and condition the defensive movements through highly repetitious fear drills and dodging moves.

Elbow and Forearm Blocks
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

LOL, I've got a book with Ambrose Palmer, World Champ John Famechon's trainer, doing that defense in the first half of the 20th century and teaching it to John F himself.

It's an old style boxing defense, nothing to do with race or 52 blocks.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    LOL, I've got a book with Ambrose Palmer, World Champ John Famechon's trainer, doing that defense in the first half of the 20th century and teaching it to John F himself.

It's an old style boxing defense, nothing to do with race or 52 blocks.
    Doesn't matter what century or geography, we all have two arms and legs.... although some of the Ming/Qing Chinese fighters may have shorter legs and arms than fighters of today
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

Talking about old boxers, I like a lot of Jack Dempsey's methods.
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

LOL 52 blocks..... got visions of inmates lining up practising drills of this amazing new urban, prison based fighting system. Some people will believe anything
    This shape / move has been in boxing since the year dot. It uses some of the same principles of bong sau in that it comes in to play when at close range and the hand is down, fastest thing to get up in the way is the elbow. As the previous poster said, there tends to be more shoulder lift than bong sau and most boxers learn the move from going in and out of the cross guard.
    This thread however could easily go the route of the belfort clip thread so it'll be interesting to see where it goes.
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

Quote Originally Posted by wingchunIan View Post
    LOL 52 blocks..... got visions of inmates lining up practising drills of this amazing new urban, prison based fighting system. Some people will believe anything
    This shape / move has been in boxing since the year dot. It uses some of the same principles of bong sau in that it comes in to play when at close range and the hand is down, fastest thing to get up in the way is the elbow. As the previous poster said, there tends to be more shoulder lift than bong sau and most boxers learn the move from going in and out of the cross guard.
    This thread however could easily go the route of the belfort clip thread so it'll be interesting to see where it goes.
    According to one of the grand daddies of the 52 Block, it evolved from 70's when people like to fight using Boxing techniques; so obviously a lot of moves come from boxing. Of course, others claim it evolved from old African fighting styles. Frankly, I don't care.

But what interest me is how some techniques are cross platformed, whether it is Eastern or Western. As I always say, we are all the same anatomically and physiologically (tho some size difference and proportion difference.)
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

Talking about old boxers, I like a lot of Jack Dempsey's methods.
    Same here, opinions vary but I see a lot of similarities with the WC I learned.

Quote Originally Posted by imperialtaichi View Post
    Not saying it is or it isn't. A friend of mine posted this on another site. Thought it could be a good discussion starting point.
    If you have been taught that bongsau is a 'fixed' position, as it is commonly taught to beginners, then you will be inclined to think that this isn't a bongsau.

But if you have stayed in class for more than the intro and basics and been exposed to the actual mechanics and structure of what makes a bongsau a bongsau (ie. wrist/elbow/shoulder alignment) then you will see bongsau in both of the boxers, the hook as well as the defence.

As for the 52 Blocks. Really?? Are we really going to go over all that stuff again lol??! haven't we had enough of 'discussing' what bongsau is??? It's kinda boring now...
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by imperialtaichi View Post

It's not bong Sao at all to me, the only thing in common is the arms is bent. If you notice his left shoulder, it's lifted to cover his jaw. He probably had a low left guard to start with and that's the natural reaction when at that range.
    Having said that, a lot of boxers use a bong like motion at close range, it's a favorite of mine.

i wish i knew someone in my area who practiced 52 blocks...i would love to intergrate it with my wing chun!
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    i wish i knew someone in my area who practiced 52 blocks...i would love to intergrate it with my wing chun!
    If you train punches, you will always "hit others". If you train blocks, you will always be "hit by others".

I'd say this is not WCK bong sau for most of the same reasons already listed.

In addition to those, I'd say, to call it a 'WC Bong Sau' it would need to be suported by the same structural integrity as a WC bong sau, which this is not (for one, he's leaning). Also, his facing is off. And, the contact point for a bong sau is not the upper arm past the elbow. It's usually either the striking point or the forearm depending on the type of bong used as well as the facing, distance, leverage point, etc.
    Haha, since we're talking WC bong sau, might as well fit some the parameters besides just shape!

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    That would be cool, then maybe you would stop littering up this WC forum with your continued nonsese and start posting on 52 block threads
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

52 Blocks, Jail House Rock, Compton style etc., are styles that were practiced mainly in prisons. When guys got relaesed they taught people outside. As to the origin, how knows. But people in dire need of self defense tend to create methods of defense. It's happened in many cultures.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr