Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grab: How and Why

Grab: How and Why

When I studied Aikido we were taught to grab thumb to pinky using the palm to grip because the fingers are the weak point in a grab.

In Eagle Claw we make our fingers strong and grab with them, this way a grab is also a pressure point attack.

How does your style/you grab? Why?

Blog Entries
    It's very slippery to dig your fingers into your opponent's muscle when your opponent sweats. It's better to take advantage on your opponent's bone structure. If you use your right hand to grab your left arm, you will find the best way to grab.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 01-07-2012 at 01:46 PM.

The hand muscles that are made strong are palm and thumb. Fingers have no muscle in them. they are skin, fat,ligature and bone. There is no muscle to make fingers stronger. Grip is made stronger through the hand muscles.

repetition and compression can condition the practitioner to not be affected so readily by the neuralgia associated with bashing your fingers onto something, having them bent etc.

gripping exercises strengthen the palm and thumb muscle.

illustration:
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    The hand muscles that are made strong are palm and thumb. Fingers have no muscle in them. they are skin, fat,ligature and bone. There is no muscle to make fingers stronger. Grip is made stronger through the hand muscles.

repetition and compression can condition the practitioner to not be affected so readily by the neuralgia associated with bashing your fingers onto something, having them bent etc.

gripping exercises strengthen the palm and thumb muscle.

illustration:
    and forearm

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    If you use your right hand to grab your left arm, you will find the best way to grab.
    If you have strong fingers and aren't squeamish.

I've heard the key is in tendon strength. You're only as strong as the weakest link.
    When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.

Finger muscles are in the forearm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    This is not a veiled request for compliments

The short story is I did 325# for one set of 1 rep.

1) Does this sound gifted, or just lucky?

Grip strength seperates the men from the mice. Finger and hand grip strength comes from ligaments in the forearm. Repetition is the key to better grip strength. Good exercises for grip strength are:

SC Belt Cracking
    Wrist Curls (Palm side facing up)
    Forearm Curls (Palm side facing down)
    Isometric / Dynamic tension exercises
    Bamboo Twisting
    Yellow Dragons (grab a tight fist, then flick all your fingers out, grab, flick, repeat)

All should be done until failure several times a day.

ginosifu

Actually, ligaments connect bone to bone and control the movement of joints. It's the tendons that allow muscle strength to translate into movement.
    Last edited by Yao Sing; 01-07-2012 at 08:13 PM.

Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.

No real need to be so technical here. It all boils down to the same thing. Get yourself a couple of large rubber balls. The foam type. Something you can cover and lift from the top of it. A smerf ball will even work. Just spend enough time giving it a squeeze and it will eventually strengthen the muscles. Muscles actually pull the tendons to make the hand work, so strengthen them and in doing so you will strengthen the tendons as well.
    The hand is the weakest part of your arm. It responds to crush force and joint manipulation quite readily. Jiujitsu depends upon this factor. I can make a very large man do what I ask of him if I can get hold of his hand. And remember, an extended arm is the weakest. I can grab a mans wrist and using the first or middle finger and the thumb, actually seperate the wrist from the forarm and dislocate it. Wally Jay liked to place emphisis on the smaller joints in what he called Small Circle techniques. Just turning the joints in directions that they were not designed to go can render a big man helpless. The stronger your hands and arms are, the easier and more effective your gripping techniques will be.
    Jackie Lee

Funny nobody answered the original question. I play Northern Mantis so I hook. Guess that makes me a hooker.

Actually no matter how you grab the weakest point is between the fingers (with thumb to any finger).

We hook in Jiu Jitsu as well. Thumbs get caught in clothing and stuck. This can result in damage to the thumb and/or wrist while rolling. In wrestling we mostly use hooks for control (except when hand fighting). Clinch in Thai Boxing also uses hooks. Personally I've find very little benefit to using thumb grips over hook grips.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin View Post
    We hook in Jiu Jitsu as well. Thumbs get caught in clothing and stuck. This can result in damage to the thumb and/or wrist while rolling. In wrestling we mostly use hooks for control (except when hand fighting). Clinch in Thai Boxing also uses hooks. Personally I've find very little benefit to using thumb grips over hook grips.
    True. (Eagle Claw hooks as well as claws--eagle wing and eagle beak). Involving the thumb has greater risk, however it allows you to rotate, tear, compress, and twist.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    Personally I've find very little benefit to using thumb grips over hook grips.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    agree with you on this. I would not focus my efforts on trying to get a finger or some small appendage when I can get some over or underhooks on someone which translates to a lot more control.
    Even in Eagle Claw, most grabs are applied after contact has been established--Do you not use thumbs even when throwing or submitting?