Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grab: How and Why

Quote Originally Posted by ShaolinDan View Post
    Even in Eagle Claw, most grabs are applied after contact has been established--Do you not use thumbs even when throwing or submitting?
    No. Whether gi or no gi grabs, throws and subs are done with the 4 fingers and the thumb to the side. Even the freestyle/greco wrestling grips typically used are a Gable grip and 'S' grip, neither of which utilize the thumbs.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    especially with Gi throws you are grabbing, usually, with the 4 fingers and twisting the material to lock your hand in place with thumb on the outside.

But of course there are times you use you thumb and grip in conjunction. But like I said I like, in the clinch, to use the hooks for better control. As for submittions there are verying factors in determining what I'm going to use. A lot of times position and fulcrum points will differ according to angles. Sometimes I will grip on the ground but others I will use mine and there body for the submittion.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

White Crane & Hap Ga prefer the use of gross motor skills--joint locks without gripping. When a real grip is used, thumb in opposition to fingertips, it's for pain and tearing tissues. Strength is developed by fingertip push ups, chopstick twisting, and by gripping, swinging and curling weights (stone locks and muhk yih paai).

Both the radial- and ulnar-side approach are considered in clearing movements that may result in the opportunity to seize, but they are considered high-risk techniques due to the likelihood of missing or achieving a slippery grip. "Monkey hand" grips are considered specialized technique requiring extra training. The preferred method is to perform joint locks without an initial grip.
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

RE Last 3 posts

Interesting. Thanks. I will have to give my chinna a try without thumbs and see how it changes things.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaolinDan View Post
    try without thumbs ...
    It depends on where do you grab.

In no Gi environment, the pulling will be a major issue. Without pulling, many throws can not be performed. When your hand control under your opponent's elbow, you will find out that if your "thumb" and "index finger" can "hook" on your opponent's upper arm bone (right at "humerus" that the bone is from thin to fat), you can have much solid grip even your opponent may have sweat on his body. It's one solution for "slippery grip". You will find out that your "thumb" and "index finger" play an important role in "elbow joint" grip.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...EwBg&dur=10978

For "wrist joint" grip, the middle finger, ring finger, and pinky may be more functional because your "pinky" can have a tight "hook" on your opponent's wrist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Hand_parts.jpg
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 01-10-2012 at 12:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin View Post
    We hook in Jiu Jitsu as well. Thumbs get caught in clothing and stuck. This can result in damage to the thumb and/or wrist while rolling. In wrestling we mostly use hooks for control (except when hand fighting). Clinch in Thai Boxing also uses hooks. Personally I've find very little benefit to using thumb grips over hook grips.
    I have never had any problems using my thumbs while controlling opponents. In my Shuai Chiao matches I always used my thumb to "Lock In" any grip I had on a jacket (gripping the jacket into a fist). The same when gripping a arm or wrist, the thumb wraps around like making a fist or an Eagle's Claw.

I am not saying anything against what others do, just would like to point out that Superior Grip Training can give you and edge in controlling techniques.

ginosifu

We do grip training in mantis, very important for the chin na techniques.
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

It is worth the time to research which grabs are illegal in BJJ tournaments with gi. They're illegal because those grips are too dominant.

I always felt the stuff not allowed in sporting events is exactly the stuff I want to know and train.
    When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    It depends on where do you grab.

In no Gi environment, the pulling will be a major issue. Without pulling, many throws can not be performed. When your hand control under your opponent's elbow, you will find out that if your "thumb" and "index finger" can "hook" on your opponent's upper arm bone (right at "humerus" that the bone is from thin to fat), you can have much solid grip even your opponent may have sweat on his body. It's one solution for "slippery grip". You will find out that your "thumb" and "index finger" play an important role in "elbow joint" grip.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...EwBg&dur=10978

For "wrist joint" grip, the middle finger, ring finger, and pinky may be more functional because your "pinky" can have a tight "hook" on your opponent's wrist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Hand_parts.jpg
    Yes. We like to wrap around bone (or under muscles).
    For a wrist grab the thumb wraps one bone, the fingers the other... The grabs themselves are attacks, not just a means of control.

One detail to note--we dig in with the tips of the fingers, not the pads. Grip/finger training is essential for this method.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina View Post
    It is worth the time to research which grabs are illegal in BJJ tournaments with gi. They're illegal because those grips are too dominant.
    So you like to grab inside your opponent's sleeve?