Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The current status and future of Wushu

The current status and future of Wushu

I just read a good article from JAMA

"Wushu's transformation from local boxing ring to the world stage"

What is your oppinion on this matter?

It would be nice if martial elements were a bigger part of the scoring...there must be something to separate modern Wushu from gymnastics and dance to make it really worth developing.
    Still, performance Wushu has raised the bar for athleticism among martial artists (and probably has been for centuries), so that's a good thing. As long as traditional practice is also kept alive (and I believe it will be), I have no problems with the performance aspects.

I think it can be added as another form of gymnastics.
    they already have the ball play and the ribbon play and hoop play.
    Why not include wushu in these types of floor routines?

performance wushu isn't of much value as actual martial training goes, but aesthetically it's nice to watch and has value in that respect. Also, it maps over into movie fu better and allows for more interesting shots with less close ups and post edits to make fights look cool.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I read somewhere that modern wushu is no longer very popular in China. It's more popular than 'traditional', but that most young people are more interested in other things. I'm betting its exclusion from becoming an official Olympic sport has only added to that.

IMO, modern wushu is a good athletic challenge for those who like a standardized performing art. I'm not sure it translates better into 'movie fu', it depends on the person, the director, etc. There is a sameness to all the performances, which for some people is a plus, since there are clear levels. OTOH, wushu overload can become boring after awhile.

I consider wushu as a purely athletic pursuit that should/must be started young, and the performer's ability peaks, then begins to deteriorate at a young age. This is due to the unnatural and extra-difficult aspects being emphasized (nan du).

Wushu (martially) stinks. Going to continue to stink.

your opinion is noted. lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina View Post
    Wushu (martially) stinks. Going to continue to stink.
    At least we agree on this issue.

To me, stink is still too friendly word. I had met many TCMA teachers in China. They had to teach Wushu because no students wanted to learn TCMA from them. Wushu will kill TCMA if we don't stop it. I had told The Chairman of the National Wushu Committee Hsu Tzi that as long as I live, I will do my best to stop Whshu from entering Olympic game. I could still remember his face turned into green color when I said that during the 1st Jinan TCMA tournament in 1991.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 01-10-2012 at 12:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    I think it can be added as another form of gymnastics.
    they already have the ball play and the ribbon play and hoop play.
    Why not include wushu in these types of floor routines?

performance wushu isn't of much value as actual martial training goes, but aesthetically it's nice to watch and has value in that respect. Also, it maps over into movie fu better and allows for more interesting shots with less close ups and post edits to make fights look cool.
    Wushu is a combination of Figure Skating, Rhythmic Gymnastics and Toddlers & Tiaras.

*Strikes dramatic pose

Also, it makes movie choreography look like crap. How many times do I want to watch the same fight sequences over and over again? It's too standardized, too common.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I read somewhere that modern wushu is no longer very popular in China. It's more popular than 'traditional', but that most young people are more interested in other things. I'm betting its exclusion from becoming an official Olympic sport has only added to that.
    From speaking with some native Chinese not otherwise involved in martial arts I've also heard this. The younger generation isn't into it at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    This is not a veiled request for compliments

The short story is I did 325# for one set of 1 rep.

1) Does this sound gifted, or just lucky?

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    At least we agree on this issue.

To me, stink is still too friendly word. Wushu will kill TCMA if we don't stop it. I had told The Chairman of the National Wushu Committee Hsu Tzi that as long as I live, I will do my best to stop Whshu from entering Olympic game. I could still remember his face turned into green color when I said that during the 1st Jinan TCMA tournament in 1991.
    Kill it?

I don't think so. I think modern wushu will simply be what it is.

If your kung fu is good and produces benefits and you pass it to someone else, it'll be fine.

wushu has zero effect on my practice.
    mma has zero effect on my practice.

they're there I can visit if i like, or not.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Kill it?

I don't think so. I think modern wushu will simply be what it is.

If your kung fu is good and produces benefits and you pass it to someone else, it'll be fine.

wushu has zero effect on my practice.
    mma has zero effect on my practice.

they're there I can visit if i like, or not.
    YouKnowWho:

Modern Wushu has no bearing on tradtional kung fu. If you look at it closely enough you will see that it is a different animal altogether. It is a Martial Sport, where I do no look at TCMA as Martial Sport.

When they were creating Wushu they took many of the Martial aspects oout in lew of more acrobatic and gymnastic techniques. They modeled it after Olympic Gymanstic floor routine as to set it up for future placement in the Olympics. (Note how that did not work so well). They forgot to teach this Wushu to the rest of the world so they would have someone to compete against.

ginosifu

ps John ... it's just a sport like gymnastics.

There's a long standing tradition of 'performance' kung fu

Wushu is just the most recent permutation. Honestly, those of you who see modern wushu and traditional kung fu as black and white really haven't examined either that closely. Sure, there's a lot of flowery fists in modern wushu (and for convenience, we're speaking strictly about taolu here), even mores so now with nandu. But that has always been an integral part of kung fu. It's performance too. In Lorge's new book, Chinese Martial Arts, he finds evidence of martial dances as far back as the Warring States period (475 to 221 BCE). Martial dances appear across many cultures, not just Chinese. You'll find them in Europe, the Americas, Africa, pretty much in every traditional culture.

Don't let the current MMA cage your mind as to what kung fu is.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Nice one.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Wushu is just the most recent permutation. Honestly, those of you who see modern wushu and traditional kung fu as black and white really haven't examined either that closely. Sure, there's a lot of flowery fists in modern wushu (and for convenience, we're speaking strictly about taolu here), even mores so now with nandu. But that has always been an integral part of kung fu. It's performance too. In Lorge's new book, Chinese Martial Arts, he finds evidence of martial dances as far back as the Warring States period (475 to 221 BCE). Martial dances appear across many cultures, not just Chinese. You'll find them in Europe, the Americas, Africa, pretty much in every traditional culture.

traditional performance shows MANLINESS and instill fear.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    traditional performance shows MANLINESS and instill fear.
    Time and effort with purpose and intention show manliness. Fear instills fear.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

squats....
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.