Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The current status and future of Wushu

I want to imagine that many people died violent deaths during those ancient martial dances and people still talked shit about how weak it was.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    This is not a veiled request for compliments

The short story is I did 325# for one set of 1 rep.

1) Does this sound gifted, or just lucky?

Indeed they did, wenshu...

Honestly, I've never quite understood why practitioners get their panties in such a bunch over dancers in martial arts. I'd watch dancers in anything: ballet, ballroom, hip hop, pole... why wouldn't I enjoy martial dancing too?

I think we all need to take 4 min. T.O. and watch this: Sword Bellydance
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    I want to imagine that many people died violent deaths during those ancient martial dances and people still talked shit about how weak it was.
    Yes, this would comfort me as well, in the knowledge that no matter how much things changed, they stayed the same.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    At least we agree on this issue.

Wushu will kill TCMA if we don't stop it. I had told The Chairman of the National Wushu Committee Hsu Tzi that as long as I live, I will do my best to stop Whshu from entering Olympic game. I could still remember his face turned into green color when I said that during the 1st Jinan TCMA tournament in 1991.
    I honestly think TCMA is already dead.

There are enough existing remnants, where worthwhile technologies can be kept and combined with more modern training to create something new but to keep going in its current direction is poison.

Wushu in the Olympics..... for me.... fine! It's no different than gymnastics floor routine. I do not view TCMA, in its current format, as a martial art. And the only thing that would change that opinion for me would be some of these TCMA styles producing competitive fighters.

Not everyone needs to fight. But at least 2% ( 2 out of 100) of all the students worldwide should be able to compete. So many discussions on this board and it comes down to the very basic and simple: if TCMA was working, alive, we'd see it. It would be producing quality international fighters like boxing, kick boxing, Thai Boxing, BJJ, Judo, wrestling, fencing....

No fighters from a martial art system = system is dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina View Post

Are you saying the Danish Army is dead?
    Are you saying the French couldn't mount a battle plan?

What about Buddhist martial arts?

No competitive fighters = system is dead? Sure if it's a competitive fighting style designed for that.

Otherwise, your premise is incorrect. I'm surprised you can't bridge the diversities and fail to understand value of things from all directions.

P.S it is my view that many people get into wrestling arts because they can't handle being punched in the face or the guts. This after many years of watching that happen again and again.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I honestly think TCMA is already dead.

There are enough existing remnants, where worthwhile technologies can be kept and combined with more modern training to create something new but to keep going in its current direction is poison.

Wushu in the Olympics..... for me.... fine! It's no different than gymnastics floor routine. I do not view TCMA, in its current format, as a martial art. And the only thing that would change that opinion for me would be some of these TCMA styles producing competitive fighters.

Not everyone needs to fight. But at least 2% ( 2 out of 100) of all the students worldwide should be able to compete. So many discussions on this board and it comes down to the very basic and simple: if TCMA was working, alive, we'd see it. It would be producing quality international fighters like boxing, kick boxing, Thai Boxing, BJJ, Judo, wrestling, fencing....

It's QUITE obvious no one really cares about your opinion of TMA. you are no better than TMA because you are not doing anything to change it. b1tch b1tch b1tch. this is all you are known for. thats sad to say cause no one seems to be impressed with your fighting. LOL

lei tai is from time so long ago.

most prominent time is from song dynasty. the government army was purposely weakened. civilian and local militia trained themself especially along the border towns.

from republican era, there is the kuo shu lei tai

even today it is still going on,

in addition to taolu, there is also san shou from wushu programs.

kuo shu lei tai

and wushu san shou are there for all to compete.

every one good luck at london 2012 summer olympics.

after a while, yes everyone is bored with taolu.

big fan for belly dancing

no boredom there for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weRHyjj34ZE

Blah, blah, blah, and the best fighter in the world is the one with the championship belt. Surely he could beat all the special forces, Navy SEALs, etc. under any and all conditions.

BECAUSE HE COMPETED AND WON A SANCTIONED SPORTING EVENT!

Get it now everyone? Sport Rulz!

When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.

Quote Originally Posted by Yao Sing View Post
    Blah, blah, blah, and the best fighter in the world is the one with the championship belt. Surely he could beat all the special forces, Navy SEALs, etc. under any and all conditions.

BECAUSE HE COMPETED AND WON A SANCTIONED SPORTING EVENT!

Get it now everyone? Sport Rulz!
    War is just competition with more ultimate consequences.

Conversely. . .

TCMA is not dead. Who else can rapidly aging MMA club fighters and lazy minded wannabes vent their frustrations on whenever they are feeling down on themselves because they can't stick to a diet plan and are still stinging from humiliation at the hands of good old fashioned Hong Kong con men?

Wing Chun, that's who!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    This is not a veiled request for compliments

The short story is I did 325# for one set of 1 rep.

1) Does this sound gifted, or just lucky?

Blog Entries
    TCMA is not dead. Who else can rapidly aging MMA club fighters and lazy minded wannabes vent their frustrations on whenever they are feeling down on themselves because they can't stick to a diet plan and are still stinging from humiliation at the hands of good old fashioned Hong Kong con men?
    TMA will NEVER DIE. why? because TMA is about more than just fighting. I have no more time to explain to hard headed people why. Those who know....know. those who don't will b1tch and complain about this or that.

TMA'tists can continue what they're doing long after a fighter has to quit fighting.
    TMA is way more than just beating someone down. for one, its part of the Chinese culture. Fighting has no other culture other than violence.

its never gonna be enough to get it in the heads of BRICK HEADS about there are people who like to fight and to do so legally they join MMA. There are others who don't like to fight but CAN FIGHT and has effectively done so throughout his life. Not everyone is a competitor. martial arts is and was always a personal thing. fighting is only ONE aspect of TMA. Same thing as lion dancing. its only one aspect of TCMA. but how can people mock something they know they can't do themselves? i can understand if someone watch lion dancing once and picked it up completely on the first attempt. i know they won't.

sport fighting will die long before TMA will ever die.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I consider wushu as a purely athletic pursuit that should/must be started young, and the performer's ability peaks, then begins to deteriorate at a young age. This is due to the unnatural and extra-difficult aspects being emphasized (nan du).
    This is the worst thing about Wushu without a doubt in my opinion. Whereas with traditional kung fu, one doesn't even peak at all. It just gets better and better as you age.

Blog Entries
    "nan du" like the way i du it!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Neeros View Post
    This is the worst thing about Wushu without a doubt in my opinion. Whereas with traditional kung fu, one doesn't even peak at all. It just gets better and better as you age.
    better? I don't know, but definitely tastes just as good on the last bite you take as the first one your took.

In my opinion, there are two guidelines to making Kung Fu integral to your life:

1. Begin

2. Continue
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    sport fighting will die long before TMA will ever die.
    No, some form of sport fighting will always be around. Just the specifics change dending on public needs. Ancient societies had wrestling matches and violent contests. Even the gladiator fights were considered sport in their day.

As a side note I believe the Report From Iron Mountain made reference to the need for some type of violence ritual in society and the rise of MMA seems to fit the bill. I think it was supposed to be a replacement for war but wars are still going on so I guess they've gone off script.
    When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.

Blog Entries
    Even the gladiator fights were considered sport in their day.
    once MMA dies down, what do you feel will be the next big thing?