Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Christiane "Cyborg" Justino

3 min 46 sec

Still relevant?
    Despite win, Cyborg still at risk in Invicta
    April, 6, 2013 2:28 PM ET
    Dundas By Chad Dundas
    ESPN.com

Cyborg SantosDave Mandel/Sherdog.comHow long before Cristiane Santos grows bored -- or, even worse, loses -- while with Invicta FC?

Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos needed to accomplish two things on Friday at Invicta FC: defeat Fiona Muxlow and look like a reasonable facsimile of her old self while doing it.

Not necessarily in that order. At least not in terms of degree of difficulty.

Don't miss a moment of the latest MMA coverage from around the world. Follow us on Twitter and stay informed. Join »

The victory was vital, I suppose, but it was also never really in doubt. In practice, the fight turned out to be as lopsided as it looked on paper, which is to say the win was so one-sided that it was almost completely hollow for the former Strikeforce women’s featherweight champion.

Santos dropped Muxlow with her first punch, a straight right that put the replacement fighter, who took the bout on 17 days’ notice, skittering into the frenzied survival mode we so commonly see in Santos' opponents. The rest was essentially cleanup. It took referee John McCarthy 3 minutes, 46 seconds to decide he’d seen enough, but each tick of the clock after that initial salvo felt more gratuitous than the previous. By the time the end came for Muxlow, she was backed up against the cage accepting a series of increasingly inevitable knees and punches and the overriding feeling that swept over us all when Big John stepped in was one of relief for her.

For Santos, we felt only a vague sense of confirmation. Yep, she’s still Cyborg.

Proving that Santos is still the most bloodcurdling figure in women’s MMA was the really essential thing here, because, after nearly 16 months of inactivity owed to a yearlong suspension for a positive steroid test, there were questions about whether she would show up in Kansas City looking as ripped, as relentless and altogether frightening as before. More to the point, because Cyborg still being leaps and bounds ahead of the competition is an integral part of manager Tito Ortiz’s plan to run the longest of long bombs on the UFC.

When Santos and Ortiz very publicly balked at the chance to cut to 135 pounds for an immediate shot at Ronda Rousey’s bantamweight title back in February, instead opting for a much slower burn in Invicta, it prompted copious industry-wide head-scratching. One of those heads belonged to UFC President Dana White, who alternated between describing the Santos-Ortiz negotiating style as “wacky” and “goofy” and then proclaimed Cyborg “pretty much irrelevant” when talks finally appeared to fall apart for good.

Ortiz claims Santos needs a multifight run in Invicta to gradually shed the pounds necessary to safely make the cut to 135. Maybe that’s true, but the perils of this route are obvious. What if something goes wrong, we all asked when the deal was announced. What if she emerges in the Invicta cage looking like something less than the terrifying knockout artist who cut a swath through women’s MMA during seven fights from 2008-11? What if she -- choke, sputter, gasp -- loses?

"She ain't gonna lose …," an ever-confident Ortiz told MMAJunkie.com's Ben Fowlkes when he put voice to these concerns at the time. "You ever sparred with Cris? You ever tried to wrestle with her? Ever watched her wrestle, watched her spar? Have you ever watched her fight?"

Yeah, well, point taken. Never did Ortiz’s long-term plan for Santos’ career feel like less of a gamble than while we were watching her brutalize Muxlow. Granted, the 35-year-old Australian’s prospects were doomed from the moment she agreed to sub in for the injured Ediane Gomes last month, but it must have been reassuring for Ortiz & Co. to get proof that Cyborg can still deal with an overmatched opponent with the kind of extreme prejudice we saw from her against the likes of Jan Finney and Hiroko Yamanaka near the end of her Strikeforce run.

Santos/CoenenEsther Lin/Getty ImagesA rematch with Marloes Coenen, facing, should shed more light on where Cristiane Santos stands in her return to the cage.

While not a particularly instructive affair, we’re now told the victory sets Santos up for an Invicta 145-pound title bout with Marloes Coenen later this year. Coenen will no doubt be a far more dangerous opponent, albeit one Santos already defeated back in January 2010 and one who had been competing at bantamweight prior to debuting in Invicta. If Cyborg wins that, she’ll have a shiny new belt to match Rousey’s, and it’ll start to feel more and more like Ortiz’s gamble might just pay off after all, giving Santos time to drop the weight while only stoking the fires of interest in a Rousey bout.

Still, let’s not kid ourselves here. Santos and Ortiz are taking tremendous risks each time Santos steps into the Invicta cage. They are still involved in the kind of clunky, long-range scheme that very seldom pays off in a sport this unpredictable.

If you strip away the veneer of dominance and the fearsome power, Cyborg has exactly one thing going for her right now: There are only two real stars in the landscape of female MMA, and, as of this weekend, she’s still one of them. Rousey and the UFC need her (and by extension, Ortiz) as much as the fighter and manager need the fight promotion and its golden girl. Rousey versus Santos is the one truly marketable superfight in women’s fighting at the moment, and no matter how big the honchos at the UFC talk, they’ll still be interested in it if and when Santos decides she’s ready.

But that delicate balance of power evaporates immediately should Cyborg make a misstep in Invicta. All it takes is one lucky punch or a momentary mental lapse on the ground and, suddenly, she’s not the perfect foil for Rousey’s good looks and slick submission game anymore. Suddenly, she’s just a former champion with a positive steroid test and a reputation for difficult negotiations.

If we’ve learned anything from MMA, it’s that the thing that “ain’t gonna” happen, often does, and, afterward, the people who wind up on the short end wish they’d grabbed the brass ring when they had the chance -- instead of putting it off for another day.
    I would love to see an MMA circuit where everyone was on steroids. Just imagine how awesome that would be.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I would love to see an MMA circuit where everyone was on steroids. Just imagine how awesome that would be.

You have. Watch the old UFC tapes, start with Severn era through Kerr and Colman and up to I would guess 2009 or so.

lol. Good one, hunt1

Quote Originally Posted by hunt1 View Post
    You have. Watch the old UFC tapes, start with Severn era through Kerr and Colman and up to I would guess 2009 or so.
    I always say the early UFCs were the best ones.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Still relevant?

You mean PRIDE FC?
    BreakProof Back® Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

another lol

Maybe I should watch more PRIDE FC. Honestly, I've only checked out highlights from that league.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

cyborg should fight that tranny
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Lucas FTW!

OK, bro, with a comment like that, you can be the lipstick lesbian forum mod, if we ever launch such a forum.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

HELL YA!!!! I'll hold you to that until the end days.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Putting a new light on CC

Whaddya mean NSFW? These are safe. Tame really...

New Cris Cyborg photo shoot – NSFW
    22 Dec, 2014 Eric Kowal MMA News

Former Strikeforce women’s featherweight champion and the current Invicta FC World featherweight champion Cris “Cyborg” Justino did a photo shoot in Las Vegas, under the direction of Larissa Almeida Reis for her HardCoreReis brand and it unlike any that the champ has ever done.

Reis, 35, is a Brazilian IFBB professional figure competitor, fitness model, actress, and owner of a restaurant, Protein House restaurant, in Las Vegas.

“Larissa is my friend, and for some years I have always admired her work as an athlete and model,” explained Cris in her blog. “She has many fans around the world, I feel very privileged to be representing one of your Hardcoreis brands. Not much my thing do this kind of photos but I was very happy with the result.”

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Generally not crazy about her 'roided look, but those pix aren't that bad

Thank you Ching sifu!

pole dancing

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Ufc 198 may. 14, 2016 werdum vs. Miocic

Finally, Cyborg makes UFC. She fights Leslie "The Peacemaker" Smith in Curitiba, Brazil. My money is on Cyborg for that.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Again?

Thu Dec 22, 2016 | 6:29pm EST
    Mixed Martial Arts: 'Cyborg' Justino in possible doping violation

Top-ranked female mixed martial arts featherweight Cris "Cyborg" Justino has been informed by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) of a possible doping violation, the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) said on Thursday.

The UFC said in a statement it was formally notified that USADA told Justino of a potential anti-doping policy violation stemming from an out-of-competition sample collection on Dec. 5.

USADA, the independent administrator of the UFC's anti-doping policy, would handle "the appropriate adjudication of this case," the UFC said, adding that a full review process was assured under the policy before any sanctions may be imposed.

Justino last fought on Sept. 24, stopping Lina Lansberg in the second round as part of a UFC Fight Night event in her native Brazil.

The 31-year-old (17-1) previously tested positive for an anabolic steroid in December 2011, which she blamed on a diet supplement she received from a former coach.

(Reporting by Larry Fine in New York; Editing by Peter Rutherford)
    Time to head over to WWE?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Ufc 219 - sat. Dec. 30, 2017 - cyborg vs holm

Holly Holm doesn't have her own indie thread here yet so I'm posting this on Cyborg's. Any predictions? Anyone going to watch?

UFC 219

I met Cyborg once, many years ago, but only fleetingly in the audience of a fight. Didn't get a selfie.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Holly Holm vs Cris Cyborg Breakdown | HIGHLIGHTS | UFC 219

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips