Thread: Happy Friday the 13th!!

Friday the 13th !

So I dont really care what anyone thinks, I always enjoyed the old slasher flicks. my favorite was always jason for some reason.

in the movies i think the directors always captured the raw unleashed power and fury that jason has. Smashing through walls to shove an ice pick through your face. thats raw.

so this new one looks like they have gone old school.

i didnt like jason goes to space (though i think they got the action of jason good) not really a fan of jason goes to hell, jason vs freddy...

but i think they may have gotten back on track with this new one. we'll see.

So i decided to find a date for valentines to watch this movie....

lol. we'll see if i can convince any chicks to go to a slasher with me for valentines.

i know i know. im such a romantic.

should i give her flowers or a taser gun ?
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Funny thing about this is it's kind of a remake of both parts II and III.

I doubt, after what? 11 or 12 movies featuring Jason Vorhees, anyone would want to watch a remake of the first movie where only Jason's mother does the killing.

ya no one wants to see that.

my favorite friday the 13th was part 7. it think.

the one where jason is burned in the house by the psychic girl. the reason i liked it so much is the costume design on jason in that one was soo freaking tight.

i cant wait to see jason on the big screen in old school fashion again.

i might have actually found a date for this too! LOL
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Happy Friday the 13th!!

Don't get murdered!!!

Oddly enough, I've always had good days on Friday the 13th; I don't remember ever having a bad one.

how did we miss ttt-ing this last friday?

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

**** i planned to...but i was so freakin busy that day i forgot....i had a jason picture all ready and everything

ttt 4 2016!

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    how did we miss ttt-ing this last friday?

Didn't miss it this time.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

ttt 4 2017!

An October Friday the 13th. Spooky.

So far, my day has been rather unlucky - horrible commute cost me over a half hour to get to work and my email PC is offline.

BIZARRE
    Why Friday the 13th Is a Real Nightmare for Some People
    Melissa Chan
    Oct 12, 2017

If the number 13 scares you, you’re not alone.
    Millions of people in the world, including prolific horror writer Stephen King, have an irrational fear of the number 13. The phenomenon is so widely reported, it even has its own hard-to-pronounce name: triskaidekaphobia.
    Those who suffer from triskaidekaphobia associate the number 13 with bad luck or danger due to superstitions. They may avoid staying at hotel rooms with the number 13, going up to the 13th floor of any building or sitting in the 13th row in airplanes — if such floors or aisles even exist.
    People with more deeply rooted triskaidekaphobia, like King, might also skip the 13th step on staircases, get anxious watching Channel 13 or, while reading books, make a point not to pause on pages in which the digits add up to 13, like page 94. “It's neurotic, sure. But it's also . . . safer,” King wrote about his phobia in 1984.
    It’s hard to quantify how many people in the world fear the number 13, since the phobia often goes undiagnosed and untreated, according to Reid Wilson, a clinical psychologist and adjunct associate professor of psychiatry at the University of North Carolina School of Medicine who specializes in treating anxiety disorders like phobias. But the phenomenon has had clear economic implications in at least the real estate, airline and entertainment world. “We have such a cultural sense of trepidation about that number,” Wilson told TIME.
    You won’t find a row 13 on any Ryanair plane, the Dublin-based carrier confirmed in a tweet to a customer in 2014. And many other airlines and airports avoid slapping the number 13 on aisles, flights and gates — sometimes out of logistics and other times because of triskaidekaphobia, according to the Wall Street Journal.
    Dec 14, 2014
    edele lynch ✔ @edelelynch
    On my @Ryanair flight to Dublin and noticed there is now row 13.... Is this always the case on these planes?
    Follow
    Ryanair ✔@Ryanair
    @edelelynch Hi Edele, there is no row 13 on any aircraft. Thanks SA
    8:32 AM - Dec 14, 2014
    2 2 Replies 1 1 Retweet 3 3 likes
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    The two largest elevator makers in the world, Otis and Kone, say they both offer building owners an option to omit a number 13 button in elevators. And at least in New York City, less than 5% of residential condo buildings in Manhattan and Brooklyn had a 13th floor in 2013, the Journal reported at the time. "I'm not particularly superstitious myself, but not having a 13th floor is a no-brainer," building developer Izak Senbahar told the newspaper. “You don't want to preclude anyone, a buyer who happens to be superstitious. It boils down to that."
    For “triskies,” as King calls them, the number 13 is scary. But when the date falls on a Friday, it’s horrifying. Such a double-whammy of fears has its own name: paraskevidekatriaphobia. Millions of Americans may suffer from fear of Friday the 13th, according to Saybrook University psychology professor Stanley Krippner. Hollywood capitalized on that by spawning the Friday the 13th horror movies franchise, in which the ominous day is associated with a nightmare-inducing serial killer.
    Naturally, fears could worsen when a Friday the 13th falls in October around Halloween, which it does this week. “We as a culture have established Friday the 13th as something that could be dangerous,” Wilson said. “All day long they can be on edge.”
    It’s a mystery how such fears became rooted in modern culture, folklore historians say. Dr. Phil Stevens, an associate professor of anthropology at the University at Buffalo, told TIME last year that many believe the superstition originates from the Last Supper, when 13 guests sat at the table with Jesus on the day before the Friday on which Jesus was crucified. Other historians and evolutionary psychologists chalk it up to people needing a scapegoat when life doesn't go their way.
    "People are hard-wired to find meaning in various patterns, connections and perceptions," Krippner said. "They need someone or something to blame when stuff goes wrong, and numbers are an easy target."The good news is this week’s Friday the 13th is the last one this year. The next one won’t happen until April 2018 and then later that July.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

ttt 4 2021

Arts
    Why is Friday the 13th unlucky? The cultural origins of an enduring superstition

Published 12th August 2021
    Credit: Jason Kempin/Getty Images

Written by
    Christobel Hastings, CNN
    When it comes to bad luck, there are few superstitions as pervasive in Western culture as that of Friday the 13th. Like crossing paths with a black cat and breaking a mirror, the notion of a day that can bring misfortune is deeply embedded -- even if believers can't quite explain why.
    There's even a name to describe the irrational dread of the date: paraskevidekatriaphobia -- a specialized form of triskaidekaphobia, a fear of the number 13.
    While Friday the 13th may feel like a rare phenomenon, our Gregorian calendar means that the 13th of any month is slightly more likely to fall on a Friday than any other day of the week. It is not, however, a universal superstition: In Greece and Spanish-speaking countries, it is Tuesday the 13th that is considered a day of bad luck, while in Italy, it is Friday the 17th that is met with fear.
    This month, however, there is only one in the calendar: Friday, the 13th of August.
    The makings of a superstition
    The Last Supper seemed to put a curse on the number 13: The 13th and most infamous guest to arrive, Judas Iscariot, was the disciple who betrayed Jesus, leading to his crucifixion. Credit: Roberto Serra/Iguana Press/Getty Images
    Like many superstitions that have evolved over time and across cultures, it is difficult to pinpoint the precise origins of Friday 13th. What we do know, though, is that both Friday and the number 13 have been regarded as unlucky in certain cultures throughout history. In his book "Extraordinary Origins of Everyday Things," Charles Panati traces the concept of the cursed back to Norse mythology, when Loki, the god of mischief, gate-crashed a banquet in Valhalla, bringing the number of gods in attendance to 13. Deceived by Loki, the blind god Hodr was tricked into shooting his brother Balder, the god of light, joy and goodness, with a mistletoe-tipped arrow, killing him instantly.
    From Scandinavia, Panati explains, the superstition then spread south throughout Europe, becoming well established along the Mediterranean by the start of the Christian era. It was here that the unsettling power of the numerals was cemented through the story of the Last Supper, which was attended by Jesus Christ and his disciples on Maundy Thursday. The 13th and most infamous guest to arrive, Judas Iscariot, was the disciple who betrayed Jesus, leading to his crucifixion on Good Friday.

Hundreds of the Knights Templar were arrested on October 13, 1307, and many were later executed. Dan Brown's "The Da Vinci Code" popularized the erroneous theory this is the original of the Friday the 13th superstition. Credit: /Hulton Archive/Getty Images
    In Biblical tradition, the concept of unlucky Fridays, stretches back even further than the crucifixion: Friday is said to be the day that Adam and Eve ate the forbidden fruit from the Tree of Knowledge; the day Cain murdered his brother, Abel; the day the Temple of Solomon was toppled; and the day Noah's ark set sail in the Great Flood.
    It wasn't until the 19th century, however, that Friday 13th became synonymous with misfortune: As Steve Roud explains in "The Penguin Guide to the Superstitions of Britain and Ireland," the combination of Friday and the number 13 is a Victorian invention. In 1907, the publication of Thomas W. Lawson's popular novel "Friday, the Thirteenth" captured the imagination with its tale of an unscrupulous broker who took advantage of the superstitions around the date to deliberately crash the stock market.
    In the 1980s, superstition went pop with the launch of the "Friday the 13th" slasher franchise, starring hockey-masked killer Jason Voorhees. Credit: Alamy
    Fast forward to the 1980s, and a hockey-masked killer by the name of Jason Voorhees in the slasher flick franchise "Friday the 13th" ensured notoriety. Then came Dan Brown's 2003 novel "The Da Vinci Code," which helped popularize the incorrect claim that the superstition originated with the arrests of hundreds of members of the Knights Templar on Friday, October 13, 1307.
    An alternative history
    Given the mass of doom-laden lore, you'd be forgiven for thinking that Friday 13th is indeed ominous. If we dig deeper, though, we also find evidence that both Fridays and the number 13 have long been regarded as a harbinger of good fortune. In pagan times, for instance, Friday was believed to have a unique association with the divine feminine. The first clue can actually be found in the weekday name Friday, which is derived from Old English and means "day of Frigg." Both Queen of Asgard and a powerful sky goddess in Norse mythology, Frigg (also known as Frigga) was associated with love, marriage and motherhood.
    Frigg gave protection to homes and families, maintained social order, and could weave fate as she did the clouds. She also possessed the art of prophecy, and could bestow or remove fertility. On the other hand, Freyja, the goddess of love, fertility and war with whom Frigg was often conflated, was endowed with the power to perform magic, predict the future, and determine who would die in battles, and was said to ride a chariot pulled by two black cats. These goddesses were worshiped widely across Europe and, because of these associations, Friday was considered a lucky day for marriage by Norse and Teutonic people.

The Venus of Laussel clutches a crescent-shaped horn bearing 13 notches -- a potential reference to lunar and menstrual cycles. Credit: Education Images/Universal Images Group/Getty Images
    The number 13, meanwhile, has long been regarded as a portentous number by pre-Christian and goddess-worshipping cultures for its link to the number of lunar and menstrual cycles that occur in a calendar year. Fertility was prized in pagan times, and artwork would often draw connections to menstruation, fertility and the phases of the moon.
    Take the Venus of Laussel, an approximately 25,000-year-old limestone carving depicting a voluptuous female figure cradling her pregnant stomach with one hand, and holding a crescent-shaped horn bearing 13 notches in the other. Many scholars believe the figurine may have represented a goddess of fertility in a ritual or ceremony, while the 13 lines are typically read as a reference to the lunar or menstrual cycle, both of which symbolize feminine power.
    Rewriting a reputation
    As Christianity gained momentum in the Middle Ages, however, paganism stood at odds with the new patriarchal faith. Not only did its leaders take objection to the worship of multiple gods and goddesses, but the celebration of Friday, the number 13, and the goddesses who invoked love, sex, fertility, magic and pleasure were deemed unholy.
    So revered were these deities, though, that making people relinquish them proved a real challenge. But Christian authorities persisted with their campaign, branding both the deities and the women who worshiped them witches.
    "When Norse and Germanic tribes converted to Christianity, Frigga was banished in shame to a mountaintop and labeled a witch," Panati writes. "It was believed that every Friday, the spiteful goddess convened a meeting with eleven other witches, plus the devil -- a gathering of thirteen -- and plotted ill turns of fate for the coming week."
    Early in her career, Taylor Swift would often perform with the number 13 -- which the singer considers lucky -- written on her hand. Credit: Larry Busacca/Getty Images
    These days, of course, Friday the 13th still haunts the Western imagination. But with conversations around the role misogyny has played in silencing powerful women throughout history now in the mainstream, perhaps the narrative of this unlucky date and the female deities associated with it might soon be rewritten.
    The tide may have already started to turn: Take Taylor Swift, who considers 13 her lucky number and, early in her career, often performed with the number written on her hand.
    "I was born on the 13th. I turned 13 on Friday the 13th. My first album went gold in 13 weeks. My first No. 1 one song had a 13-second intro," she told MTV in 2009. "Every time I've won an award I've been seated in either the 13th seat, the 13th row, the 13th section or row M, which is the 13th letter. Basically, whenever a 13 comes up in my life, it's a good thing."
    With more endorsements like this, fortune, rather than fear, might well become the legacy of Friday the 13th.
    Good play to feature Tay-Tay
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Good play to feature Tay-Tay
    I miss Taylor Swift's songs. I used to love his song titled "Red" and "Spark's Fly"... Good ol' days

You miss her? But her music is playing everywhere all the time...

Quote Originally Posted by highlypotion View Post
    I miss Taylor Swift's songs. I used to love his song titled "Red" and "Spark's Fly"... Good ol' days
    T-Swizzle always makes me think of this...
    This is the beginning. Through this music video, Taylor will inspire a legion of nacho ninjettes all over the world.

And they SHALL RISE.

RISE UP!

FOR WORLD NACHO NINJETTE DOMINATION!!!

BWAHAHAHAHAHHA!!

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

ttt42022

Good luck today...
    Gene Ching