Thread: Ng Ga Kuen

Hybrid View

Ng Ga Kuen

I was wondering if anyone here practices this system and how effective you've found it compared to other kung fu systems? Also is there a dummy form or training in the system?

Five Family Style

Quote Originally Posted by shaolin_allan View Post
    I was wondering if anyone here practices this system and how effective you've found it compared to other kung fu systems? Also is there a dummy form or training in the system?

I have studied and certified to teach this style in Los Angeles since 1979 under Gary Steuer, who was an indoor student of GM Ark Y Wong and one of the very few who legitimately received a teaching certificate. I can't say that the style is more or less effective than other styles, since effectiveness is an individual thing. I believe you can see Ark Wong working on the dummy on YouTube.

Gary has started teaching on YouTube. Search YouTube for Gary Steuer Kung Fu. He is truly an amazing martial artist. You will see what the style is truly about.

so how is the form regimen set up? Are there a couple basic combined forms you learn first and then move to individual animals?

You start off with the basics, such as stances, fists, kicks, etc., as in any style. First form is the Salute (41 movements), which is the salute to the next 5 forms: Small Cross, Butterfly, Combination, Blackbird and Palm. The animals follow, Snake, Tiger, Leopard, Dragon and Crane. In-between the animals, the weapons are taught: Darn-Do, Butterfly Knives, Poles, Daggers, etc. Gary taught many other forms and kung fu exercises as well besides the above.
    Last edited by kfman5F; 01-14-2012 at 03:27 PM. Reason: typo

There was something I was never really clear on:

Was grandmaster Ark Yuey Wong the founder of the 5 family system or did he learn it from another master?

Ark Wong had many teachers, one of the most notable was Chief Monk Pang of the Canton area. He did not make up the style.