Thread: The Shaolin Temple by Ashley Croft

The Shaolin Temple by Ashley Croft

Anyone read this one? It's pretty expensive for a 210 page paperback.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I probably won't buy this one because I do not know enough about the author's academic background. I do know that Croft has written several books on Karate. One of them says this about him on the back cover:

Ashley Croft is a fifth dan in Shotokan Karate and fourth dan in Ao Denkou Jitsu. He has trained with some of the top instructors in the world and has studied in China under the instruction of a Master from the renowned Shaolin Temple …
    I don't see how this past training qualifies him to write a book that claims to be "the culmination of pioneering research into the genesis and development of both Shaolin martial arts and Zen philosophy." I guess he never read Shahar's book, which came out 2 years before this one. Also, the mention of an unnamed Shaolin master seems a bit fishy. I hate to jump to conclusions without reading the book, but it smells like another Shaolin Grandmaster's Text to me.
    Last edited by ghostexorcist; 01-11-2012 at 03:06 PM.

Pass on this pablum and read Gene's book!!!!
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

Are there any mysterious monks at Shaolin who don't give their name when they teach you?

No?

Hmmmn.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Funny thing about that...

I'm always amazed how many non-Chinese speaking students don't get the name of the monk that they are training under. It's not like it's that hard. Nowadays, it's only the last character you have to remember because it's usually a 'Shi Yan ... "

Same goes for students nibbling at kung fu/wushu in China. If you only knew how many people tell me "I studied under Master Wang!" and I ask "Which Wang?" and they look back at me dumbfounded as if I'm supposed to know.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Dugas View Post
    Pass on this pablum and read Gene's book!!!!
    I can see it on my bookshelf from where I'm sitting. A giant orange book tends to stand out!

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I'm always amazed how many non-Chinese speaking students don't get the name of the monk that they are training under. It's not like it's that hard. Nowadays, it's only the last character you have to remember because it's usually a 'Shi Yan ... "

Same goes for students nibbling at kung fu/wushu in China. If you only knew how many people tell me "I studied under Master Wang!" and I ask "Which Wang?" and they look back at me dumbfounded as if I'm supposed to know.
    The big one of course! Da Wang.
    Last edited by sha0lin1; 01-13-2012 at 06:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post

Well I think what happens is that the monks don't tell you their name because of the language barrier and maybe they think foreigners don't care anyway. I have always had to ask the name of those training us when we were there. No one ever really formally introduced us our Master at Shaolin, Yan Wen just always would give us some words of welcome and encouragement and say this is your teacher and that was it. After you ask their name they usually seem very happy that you would care to know.

You're right sha0lin1

Quote Originally Posted by sha0lin1 View Post
    foreigners don't care anyway.
    They do tend to not be forthcoming, but you would think the students would want to know, especially if they intended to write a book about it.

Speaking of which - and I didn't purposefully intend this when launching this thread - here's my book: Shaolin Trips. I include all the names. In many cases, I include both monastic and secular names.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Didn't know you had written a book, Gene. I'll pick one up as soon as I overcome my addiction to J. Crandall's Bagua translations.

Best from Brooklyn!

I've been lax, shaolinboxer

After you read my book, you can comment on our thread here: Shaolin Trips by Gene Ching
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips