Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wing Chun and Brazillian Jiu Jitsu

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    Throughout history fighting with the hands and short weapons was the standard. Going to ground in a fight was not something that anyone endeavered to do. It usually meant death if you were in a battle.
    Ground fighting is a relatively new thing. It came into being when fighting became a regulated sport. BJJ is a form of sport grapling. Sport fighting is done under a rule set and you don't have to fear having your brains kicked out. In south or West Dallas the only reason anyone would attempt to take you down is so that while they wrestle with you their friends can kick stuff off of you.
    It would be wise to learn some form of fighting that can get you back up off the ground, like Jiujitsu. When learning WC I did learn several escape methods and lots of grappling techniques, but Jiujitsu has the most and the most effective. Forget about submission holds. They are completely worthless. You want techniques that can injure or break stuff on your opponent. Methods to get him off you as quickly as you can.
    I agree than with weapons and multiples etc that ground fighting isn't a good idea but it's not new look at ancient Greece they had boxing and wrestling probably before bodiharma went to india in fact I think fighting arts went from there to india for they did trade but thats another discussion in it self.

However with weapons if you take somebody down and are in top position with a blade I'd say hit should be quite easy to finish one and move on to the next?
    From this I'd say escapes and some other bottom techniques evolved however when training soldiers with limited amounts of time then why get into this?

This is just why I don't think ground fighting is touched in so many arts not that they are incomplete and I'm not disrespecting them it's just the quick path to battle readiness that has been passed down from generation to generation.

Like a formation of soldiers keeps its intervals and cover in line formation as they move in (lets leave guns out of this) if one wrestles on the ground that makes a weak point in the line so perhaps also for this reason wrestling wasn't toughed as well. who knows????

And jabberwocky goes on!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    And jabberwocky goes on!!
    lol, Sifu Joy

I never did get this argument. I always thought of striking and grappling arts as complementary, and granted the time and inclination, it would be wise... and fun to study both.

As far as "anti-grappling" in WC, I always thought of that as a way to "escape" from the grappler's range or domain and bring the fight back to WC territory. And as such, it should be trained with the coaching of a good grappler!
    "No contaban con mi astucia!" --el Chapulin Colorado

http://www.vingtsunaz.com/
    www.nationalvt.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    Its statements like this that lead me to believe you've never grappled a day in your life. Submissions like a RNC are useless? A guillotine? Arm bar, etc. I think your term of submission is hindered in that you think of rule sets for sport.

You want a system that totally devotes to movement on the ground and regaining your feet? Wrestling. The whole art is basically the ability to stay on your feet without getting takein down.
    In a refereed fight this would be just fine. But you are likely to get whacked from someone behind you or on a blind side while you are attempting to submit or even hold someone in an arm bar or choke. I speak from experience when I say you need to stay on your feet and you definately need to forget about submission. Even if the guy says he gives up, no sooner than you let him go he is on you again. Evenatully he might choke you out or beat you down. And if he has friends with him you can fully expect it.
    Actually, I have done a good bit of grappling. When working as a bouncer or whatever, I was never allowed to beat on the patrons. My job was to defuse a situation as smoothly as I could without resorting to violence. Because of this I would attempt to use jiujitsu to control the individual, but people in bars or night clubs are seldom alone. In most cases, they attempted to strike you from behind or grab you so someone else can hit you. If you went down they would all get in on it. Most times I was also not alone, but you can not always depend on that. For a single person without help, on the ground with me is not where he wants to be. I have very strong jiujitsu skills. However, they are diminished when there are people kicking my head around.
    Jackie Lee

Throughout history fighting with the hands and short weapons was the standard. Going to ground in a fight was not something that anyone endeavered to do. It usually meant death if you were in a battle.
    Actually, some jiu jitsu histories have it that a precursor art was developed to take armed and armoured opponents down for greater control while inserting edged weapons through the armour to dispatch them.

Ground fighting is a relatively new thing.
    Yeah, if you call something that started in the twelfth century in Japan new. I guess it's newer than the boxing found in various art forms dating back 7000 years, or the wrestling in cave paintings going back 17000 years.

BJJ is a form of sport grapling.
    Originally it was a self defense system, and at least in some gyms still is. you don't have to go to mount, side control, or guard to use BJJ effectively in a defense situation. My BJJ instructor has considerable security, self-defense and competition experience, he teaches self defense which incorporates wrestling standup controls and throws, striking, and ground control. I agree going to the ground by choice in a defense situation is a bad idea. Thinking you might always have a choice about staying on your feet is a much worse idea, however.
    Last edited by anerlich; 01-17-2012 at 01:47 PM.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Sorry John, jumped ahead and didn't realise you had already posted this:

Jujitsu evolved because Japanese warriors used to wear light armour, which makes striking and slashing less effective, unless the opponent is taken down to pierce swords through gaps between the armour, or to break arms/legs etc.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by Grumblegeezer View Post
    As far as "anti-grappling" in WC, I always thought of that as a way to "escape" from the grappler's range or domain and bring the fight back to WC territory. And as such, it should be trained with the coaching of a good grappler!
    Get out of here with that common sense, this is KFO for pete's sake.

Quote Originally Posted by WingChunABQ View Post
    I'm curious what you think. Within the confines of a traditional Chinese system, what training methods and strategies do you use to deal with grappling/ ground fighting?
    Wrestling on the feet, BJJ on the ground.

No clue why someone would be voluntarily confined by traditional Chinese systems.

Right, just to be clear, a submission is what you do in a ring. On the street, you do not give any thought to submission, you go straight to the breaking part. It only takes a fraction of a second to extend your hips and break something.

Also, if you're fighting more than one person, how well do you expect to fair standing up? It's pretty bloody difficult!

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    In a refereed fight this would be just fine. But you are likely to get whacked from someone behind you or on a blind side while you are attempting to submit or even hold someone in an arm bar or choke. I speak from experience when I say you need to stay on your feet and you definately need to forget about submission. Even if the guy says he gives up, no sooner than you let him go he is on you again. Evenatully he might choke you out or beat you down. And if he has friends with him you can fully expect it.
    No one said to go to the ground Looking for a submission. Come on be realistic for one second in your life. The thing your totally not getting is that SUBMISSION is like one milli. second away from a break or collapsing the wind pipe, etc. I never once stated that you shouldn't stay on your feet in a situation your talking about. But heres the ball buster... what happens if your taken down? Blind sided while your facing another opponent. Well your on the ground and now you have to deal with it. The same friends you were so adamently stating were going to boot your head in are still going to be there. At this juncture you should be worried about positioning. skills of how to get up and finish someone off become important. wrestling, bjj, judo, grappling deal with these issues from that perspective.

Even if the guy says he gives up, no sooner than you let him go he is on you again.
    Your still orienting "submissions" with sport. maybe your understanding of the concept is flawed, or that it doesn't take much to exert a tad bit more force from these positions to "finish" the situation.
    Last edited by Dragonzbane76; 01-17-2012 at 07:30 PM.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    In a refereed fight this would be just fine. But you are likely to get whacked from someone behind you or on a blind side while you are attempting to submit or even hold someone in an arm bar or choke. I speak from experience when I say you need to stay on your feet and you definately need to forget about submission. Even if the guy says he gives up, no sooner than you let him go he is on you again. Evenatully he might choke you out or beat you down. And if he has friends with him you can fully expect.
    What do you not understand, on the deadly streets BJJ would, break the dam arm, or choke the person out. A blood choke only takes a few second seconds (5) till you black out. It only takes a second to break an arm, subs are only in training or competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    No one said to go to the ground Looking for a submission. Come on be realistic for one second in your life. The thing your totally not getting is that SUBMISSION is like one milli. second away from a break or collapsing the wind pipe, etc. I never once stated that you shouldn't stay on your feet in a situation your talking about. But heres the ball buster... what happens if your taken down? Blind sided while your facing another opponent. Well your on the ground and now you have to deal with it. The same friends you were so adamently stating were going to boot your head in are still going to be there. At this juncture you should be worried about positioning. skills of how to get up and finish someone off become important. wrestling, bjj, judo, grappling deal with these issues from that perspective.
    Yes - even for training submissions I usually don't tap until I am in danger of going unconscious or a limb or joint is extended to the point where if I did not tap it would be damaged. In competitions many times ignorant people don't tap and get injured.

You are spot on in self defense situations. The whole multiple attacker argument multiplies when you are on the ground. Ground skills like a good guard help you to be able to be very mobile on your back, to keep your legs between you and an attacker, and to know how and when to stand up while remaining protected.

Quote Originally Posted by maxattck View Post
    What do you not understand, on the deadly streets BJJ would, break the dam arm, or choke the person out. A blood choke only takes a few second seconds (5) till you black out. It only takes a second to break an arm, subs are only in training or competition.
    However, it often takes a bit of time to maneuver into a position in which you can apply your "quick" choke or joint break.

Being on the ground is not a place to be against multiple opponents.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    Being on the ground is not a place to be against multiple opponents
    I don't think anyone said it was. Didn't know if you were jumping on the wagon or just pointing it out again.
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.