Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MMA in India

MMA in India

When I last saw Dana White, India was his other big target market alongside China. It's everyone's target market.

Sanjay Dutt-Raj Kundra launch mixed martial arts league
    PTI | Jan 16, 2012, 10.26PM IST

MUMBAI: Bollywood star Sanjay Dutt has joined hands with businessman Raj Kundra to launch a mixed martial arts (MMA) fighting league called SFL.

The first 'Super Fight League' (SFL) event, being promoted by Dutt and Kundra's company Super Fight Promotions, will be held in Mumbai on March 11, followed by Chandigarh (April 7) and New Delhi (May 6).

Promising thorough sportainment, each fight night is expected to have a minimum of seven fights, besides a Bollywood celebrity act and an after party for VIP ticket holders, organisers said.

The first fight in Mumbai will see six Indian fighters in various weight categories, taking on six MMA fighters, which would be followed by the main event - a super heavy duel between United Kingdom's James Thompson and Bob Sapp of US.

The fighters will go at each other for three five-minute rounds in which the judges would decide who won if neither of them is knocked out or has 'tapped out' (quits). It would be the referee's job to stop a fight if one of the fighters is unable to defend himself.

"The mixed martial arts industry is valued at $2 billion in America alone. It is the fastest growing sport. The unpredictability of the sport is what makes it attractive," said Kundra, who also owns IPL franchise Rajasthan Royals along with actress-wife Shilpa Shetty, at a press conference on Monday.

"MMA is a full combat sport comprising 36 different styles of fighting including karate, judo and kung-fu. We have (over 50) fighters from all around the world training for the past six months (for the league). They will also train fighters in the country," he said.

Commenting on the revenue stream, Kundra said, "The revenue would be through advertising and sponsorship-based funding. We have link-ups with various websites and also TV deals. But we are holding them back. We would make an announcement shortly."

On the occasion, Dutt said, "Martial arts began in India and left the country. We are trying to bring them back."

"We have a camp in Nashik where the Indian fighters are being trained. Our dream is that fighters from our country should be known across the world."

Dutt asserted that the fights in the league would be real and not staged.

SFL chief executive officer Ken Pavia said though there are chances of injury in the sport, we have rules in place to ensure that fighters are not fatally wounded.

"MMA is not human-****fighting. Over 20 years, various rules have been made in America to ensure the safety of athletes."

SFL chief operating officer Daniel Isaac, who is training fighters from the country, said the league was a great opportunity for the Indian fighters.

"We are signing exclusive fighters from across the world. They already have 10-15 years of experience. Indian fighters have already started training at the grassroots. We have picked them from various 'akharas' (wrestling arena) and put them in our exclusive gyms.

"There will be open trials in Punjab and Haryana. MMA is a great opportunity for Indian athletes who have great ability," Isaac added.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

perfect!

I'm envisioning the MMA fighters breaking out into a Bollywood dance number. That would be AWESOME!
    Fight Club: JLo set to perform at Sanjay Dutt's Martial Arts event in Mumbai
    By Sonali Joshi
    Last updated at 10:11 PM on 9th February 2012

Latina pop diva Jennifer Lopez will be the latest international celebrity to visit India.

JLo is scheduled to be in Mumbai to perform on March 11 at the inaugural gala of the Mixed Martial Arts Super Fight League (SFL), a venture launched by Sanjay Dutt in association with Shilpa Shetty's entrepreneur husband Raj Kundra.

Lopez, 42, joins an A-list of international pop icons that includes Metallica, Lady Gaga, Akon and Pitbull, who have performed in India in the recent past. She is also the latest western celebrity to hit Indian shores after Tom Cruise, Oprah Winfrey and Arnold Schwarzenegger.

JLo is scheduled to be in Mumbai to perform on March 11 at the inaugural gala of the Mixed Martial Arts Super Fight League

While Kundra confirmed JLo's participation in the event, he said plans were being made to rope in a few more big-ticket international names for the gala.

A few stars from Bollywood, besides top Indian singers, will also perform at the SFL opening do at Mumbai's Andheri Sports Complex.

'Kundra and Dutt want to create an annual martial arts event that will rival similar events all over the world.

'They want to make SFL a brand name. Naturally, they want a big start,' a source said.

SFL is being touted as a mix of sport and entertainment on the lines of WWE.

The league promises to feature some of the best-known names from the world of wrestling, boxing and other forms of martial arts.

The owners will soon reveal the list of fighters for the event. Apart from a grand opening, the SFL promises to have bigticket after-parties.

Although this will be JLo's first visit to India, she may not get much of a chance to visit any other place.

She is expected to be in the country for less than a week, and most of the time will be spent in preparations.

She apparently plans to rehearse at the actual venue every day.

Jennifer Lopez will perform in Mumbai at Sanjay Dutt and Raj Kundra’s (right)
    Mixed Martial Arts Super Fight League event

The sultry singer-actress shot to fame in 1999 with her debut album, On The 6, which featured the chart-topping song, If you had my love.

By the time her second album, JLo, sold eight million copies worldwide in 2001, she had already become one of the hottest stars in the global pop scene.

Twice nominated at the Grammy Awards, she is estimated to have sold close to 60 million records worldwide in her 12-year career as a singer. Earlier this year, she was chosen to have her own star on Hollywood's Walk of Fame.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

March 11

A Youtube channel. Well, that makes it easy.
    Sanjay Dutt's martial arts to go ‘live'
    Prashant Singh, Hindustan Times
    Mumbai, February 17, 2012
    First Published: 12:08 IST(17/2/2012)
    Last Updated: 17:05 IST(17/2/2012)

(From left) Super Heavy Weight fighter James Thomson, founder of Super Fight Promotions pvt ltd Raj Kundra, actor Sanjay Dutt and co-founder and chairman of Super Heavy Weight Fighter Bob Sapp pose during the launch of India's first professionally organized mixed martial art fighting league, Super Fight League 'SFL' in Mumbai. AFP Photo

They are leaving no stone unturned to kick off their sporting venture in style. Actor-producer Sanjay Dutt and partner Raj Kundra, who have tied up on Super Fight League, have inked a deal with video-sharing website, YouTube, to make it the official online broadcaster of the matches.

Super Fight League also marks popular sporting event Mixed Martial Arts’ entry in India. The first match will be aired on Sunday, March 11.

Sanjay beams, “We will show the world some of the best Mixed Martial Arts’ fighters from India. Through our initiative, fans can also interact with the fighters, my celebrity friends and me on our special channel. And people can watch the fights at any hour of the day.”

Raj, who will soon turn a father, seconds his partner and calls their move unique: “It will give the league a global reach on a single platform. And since we are offering this for free initially, our events will have greater viewership than any other Mixed Martial Arts event in the world.” Right now, the Super Fight League’s participants are training at a camp in Nasik, where the 52-year-old actor and father of two, and his partner have made the best provisions for them.

The league features Indian and international contestants. Rumours have it that Raj is in talks with international artistes like Jennifer Lopez and American band LMFAO to perform at the inaugural event.Plans for big-ticket after-parties are also being worked out.

A couple of top names from Bollywood’s music fraternity are also expected at the opening ceremony at Andheri Sports Complex on March 11. The owners plan to reveal the list of fighters for the event soon. The Super Fight League was launched in Mumbai, mid last month.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Sunday, Sunday, Sunday

Eager to see India's spin on MMA.
    Coming soon: India's ultimate fight club Mixed Martial Arts
    Ruhi Batra, TNN | Mar 5, 2012, 12.13AM IST

Coming soon: India's ultimate fight club Mixed Martial Arts
    Mixed Martial Arts, promoted by Rajasthan Royals owner Raj Kundra and Bollywood superweight Sanjay Dutt, is said to be the world's fastest growing sport. (TOI Photo)

In the opening scene of Enter the Dragon, the legendary Bruce Lee punches, kicks and throws his opponent before finally applying a painful arm-lock and forcing his opponent to surrender.

In the 1970s, cross-training in different martial arts was not allowed. But Lee broke the rules by combining the elements of multiple martial arts via his system philosophy of Jeet Kune Do. He believed that "the best fighter is not a boxer, karate or judo man. The best fighter is someone who can adapt to any style".

Mixed Martial Arts, which is said to be the world's fastest growing sport, is about to take young, urban India by storm, courtesy the Super Fight League (SFL).

Promoted by Rajasthan Royals owner Raj Kundra and Bollywood superweight Sanjay Dutt, SFL is launching the country's first professional MMA league. The kick-off match, to be held in Mumbai on March 11, will feature two big stars of the MMA world: James 'The Colossus' Thompson of Britain and Bob 'The Beast' Sapp of the US.

A full contact combat sport that has thousands of fans baying for bloody excitement everywhere it goes, MMA allows the use of both striking and grappling fight forms like boxing, wrestling, judo, Brazilian jiu-jitsu, Muay Thai, kickboxing and karate. It owes its origins to the ancient Greek sport of pankration, which was often a fight to death. Thankfully, MMA is bound by rules but the aim is still to beat your opponent into submission.

With its cage-like rings, no-holds-barred fights, cheerleaders, and young audiences, MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) has been pumping up serious adrenaline across the world, rivalling boxing and professional wrestling in popularity in markets like the United States and Japan. What adds to the edge are the catchy names for fighting techniques-like sprawl-and-brawl and ground-and-pound.

Although WWE has traditionally been more popular in India, MMA's been quietly but rapidly gaining in popularity as gyms and training centres offer training opportunities, and the culture of fight nights grows across cities. SFL promises to take MMA to a whole new level, says promoter Raj Kundra, pitting India's six best fighters against six international MMA fighters.

Given the success rate of merging sports with entertainment-think IPL, and the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) in the US-MMA, with its image of being raw and real, is turning into a huge crowd-puller.

While Sanjay Dutt described it as one of the "biggest action sports worldwide", Kundra said, "We have a long-term vision for this league...which will bring Indian audiences a new form of sport and entertainment."

What is MMA?

Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) is a full contact combat sport that allows the use of both striking and grappling techniques, both standing and on the ground, including boxing, wrestling, Brazilian jiujitsu ,Muay Thai, kickboxing, karate, judo and other styles.

Dates:

March 11: Mumbai

April 7: Chandigarh

May 6: New Delhi

Rules: A basic rule of the MMA is that a fighter must fight within his weight class. A bout can be won either through a knock out, a technical knock out, submission, a decision, a unanimous decision, split decision, majority decision or a majority draw. Every round is 5 minutes in duration with a one minute rest period in between rounds. Non title matches must not exceed three rounds (The governing commission can grant dispensation for non-title five round bouts). Title matches can be sanctioned for five rounds.

Stars To Watch Out For

Might Is Right: The Super Fight League, promoted by Bollywood biggie Sanjay Dutt and Rajasthan Royals owner Raj Kundra will kick off in Mumbai on March 11 with a bout between two big stars of the mixed martial arts world-James 'The Colossus' Thompson of UK (left) and Bob 'The Beast' Sapp of US (right).

Bob Sapp: A professional wrestler, kick boxer and mixed martial artist, Sapp has a 11-10-0 (win-loss-draw) MMA record. Nicknamed the 'beast', Sapp stands tall at 6'5" and weighs 141 kgs.

James Thompson: An aggressive fighter, he is someone who started out as a wrestler. Thompson has a 16-14-0 record.

The glamour quotient: Every bout will be preceded by a 45-minute show with music. For Mumbai's first bout, drummer Sivamani will perform with Mika. The grand finale will see actor Bipasha Basu raise the oomph factor.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Shilpa outshines event

I found 11 articles on Shilpa today but none on results of the actual event. Ahhhh, Bollywood!
    12 Mar, 2012, 12.13PM IST, TNN
    Mixed Martial Arts is one of the fastest growing sports in the world: Shilpa Shetty

She's seven-and-a-half months pregnant, but Shilpa Shetty ensured to accompany husband Raj Kundra for the inaugural Super Fight League on Sunday. Thoroughly excited and enjoying the 'kick' of their new sports venture, the Bollywood diva opened up on the couple's latest love interest (read MMA) and its prospects in the country. Excerpts ...

After Rajasthan Royals, Raj Kundra and Shilpa Shetty are now into SFL. How does it feel to be part of a family that is so much into sports?

I never thought all this was going to unfold in my life ... I can't take complete credit for it. I have to credit my husband for the vision of thinking that sports is the way forward in our country. He knows exactly what this country wants. And being a sports enthusiast he thought Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) is something that has not yet been tapped in our country.

In a country where WWF and WWE have worked in the past, this would be something people would enjoy, and appreciate . MMA is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. And he (Raj Kundra) always wondered why no other sports is promoted the way cricket is. So, if you see the kind of hype that has gone behind it, it's massive. It was all his vision ...

Both Rajasthan Royals and SFL are your babies. your favourite?

When you have a baby that's already doing well in life (read Rajasthan Royals ), you don't need to focus that much on him. That's the way to look at it. So, I guess for my husband MMA is more important , especially in a country where the beginning and end of sport is cricket . For him to actually have a sold-out event today is really a feat conquered.

I think it will take people two or three events to understand the rules of MMA. I have been eating, drinking, sleeping but he has put together the entire thing in just three months. So, that's quite an achievement.

What's more intense now-baby kicks or excitement about MMA?

I am really worried (with the baby kicks) - if it's a boy then it's fine. But if it's a girl then I have reasons to worry (laughs). This child could then be an MMA junkie.

Is Mr Kundra into martial arts himself ?

He has been training under someone for kick-boxing in London for a long time. He has always been a sports enthusiast. He loves football because he's born and brought up in Britain. When he started MMA he obviously loved it.

He was even keen on doing something for football at some point, but it's very difficult to do something with that sport in our country.

How do you look at MMA? Is it just a sport, a form of self-defence or something more?

There are different perspectives. The way I look at it is that Raj has been able to create job opportunities for so many Indian fighters. If you hear these fighters ' stories they are really heart-wrenching . Right from the training camp that was set up in Nashik to giving them accommodation , their nutrition - some of them can't even afford protein shakes - Raj has gone down to the grassroots level to ensure the nitty-gritties of looking after the MMA fighters.

I also believe that when you have a billion dollar business out of MMA in the UK and US, why should India be lagging behind? There are lots of MMA enthusiasts in the country apart from the fighters , people who watch it on a regular basis . It's amazing why something like this was not launched here before and in this scale. There were a lot of small-town fights here and there.

But when you have the sport managed at this level, it helps all fighters make a better living for themselves.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I must admit this is a curious endeavor, I don't see this much as a cultural fit...India a country not known for its athleticism....or violent sports really, although they love themselves some religious violence. I think India finally won its first olympic medal in decades during that last summer games.

I think India would be a natural ally of the USA, I'm not sure why we haven't embraced them more to counter balance China's rising power.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

a natural ally

Well, they've certainly got our tech support covered.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

How annoying is that??? Nothing is more ridiculous then having to give your personal information to a foreign national...I remember this one time this guy wanted my social security number and Driver's license number just to reset my password or change some info on my credit card account...I laughed then canceled my card with that company after sending them a lengthy what for!
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Hammer View Post
    I must admit this is a curious endeavor, I don't see this much as a cultural fit...India a country not known for its athleticism....or violent sports really, although they love themselves some religious violence. I think India finally won its first olympic medal in decades during that last summer games.

I think India would be a natural ally of the USA, I'm not sure why we haven't embraced them more to counter balance China's rising power.
    are you sh*tting me or are you really that dense about the indian sub continent, India has a much bigger cultural history in sports than most countries every heard of cricket?

Oh and before you say thats not a real sport, they were holding wrestling matches before most countries were formed (america included), it was the national sport in both India and Pakistan for centuries, and although much diminished is still a major part of life in rural India, with thousands attending regional matches

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    are you sh*tting me or are you really that dense about the indian sub continent, India has a much bigger cultural history in sports than most countries every heard of cricket?

Oh and before you say thats not a real sport, they were holding wrestling matches before most countries were formed (america included), it was the national sport in both India and Pakistan for centuries, and although much diminished is still a major part of life in rural India, with thousands attending regional matches
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Correct- there are lots of ahtletes in India in various sports.Wrestling has a continuous and continuing history There is indigenous kalaripayattu in the South Sikh ghatka sword work in the north, knife work among the Gurkhas. Stick(mother of silat in se asia) work and lathi work im some areas. And lots of cricket. soccer and some bpxing in some urban schools.The rich princes used to sponsor top wrestlers but that source has dried up. They lack well paid coaches and covering training expenses and travel expenses..
    And there are indigenous competitive sports like "kabbadi". And here and there-Ladakh and Manipur some good archery.
    And India is the founder of yoga which provides traing support and stretching for many sports.

joy chaudhuri

I was gonna say....

Them rural cats loves them some wrestling!!!

India has a long and proud history of athletics. They just kinda do their own thang. Unlike other nations they have NOT jumped on the bandwagon of globally poular sports and have chosen to stick with what they have always done. When the Brits came they brought a few games... and like Cricket, they stuck.

Oddly, I was watching a Bollywood flick last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    Correct- there are lots of ahtletes in India in various sports.Wrestling has a continuous and continuing history There is indigenous kalaripayattu in the South Sikh ghatka sword work in the north, knife work among the Gurkhas. Stick(mother of silat in se asia) work and lathi work im some areas. And lots of cricket. soccer and some bpxing in some urban schools.The rich princes used to sponsor top wrestlers but that source has dried up. They lack well paid coaches and covering training expenses and travel expenses..
    And there are indigenous competitive sports like "kabbadi". And here and there-Ladakh and Manipur some good archery.
    Here are some related threads:
    Indian martial arts
    Gatka - Martial art of Sikhs
    Kabbadi is mentioned in both our Asian Games & Asian Indoor Games threads

Forget Bollywood -- Mumbai enjoys fight nights

Members of the audience react as they watch a mixed martial arts bout at a fight night in Mumbai February 25, 2012. REUTERS-Danish Siddiqui
    Sangram Bhakre (R), a 21-year-old mixed martial arts fighter, fights during a bout at a fight night in Mumbai February 25, 2012. REUTERS-Danish Siddiqui

By Danish Siddiqui
    MUMBAI | Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:08am EDT

(Reuters) - The small wooden door in a film studio complex deep within the heart of Mumbai creaks open to pumping music, a beer-guzzling crowd and two men raining punches and kicks onto each other in the makeshift ring.

Welcome to India's very own fight night.

First started around three years ago by Full Contact Championship FCC.L, a company founded to promote mixed martial arts, fight nights are slowly gaining popularity in India, a nation where people traditionally have had no inclination to pay money to watch somebody be physically beaten in front of them.

But increasing globalisation, and years of growing up watching overseas professional wrestling broadcasts, have given younger Indians a taste for seeing the real thing themselves.

"The first time I went into a fight ring, I froze for a few seconds. There were so many people cheering for me, especially girls," said a blushing Sangram "Slammer" Bhakre, a 21-year-old mixed martial arts fighter.

Sangram, who is also preparing for his third-year university exams, is a trained wrestler, boxer and wushu fighter who is something of a hero in his local club in Kolhapur, a town 400 km (250 miles) south of Mumbai.

He is like many of the young fighters who take part in the fight nights, young men trained in different types of martial arts who come from small towns where such training is becoming popular. Sangram spent nine hours on a bus to reach India's commercial and financial hub -- a journey he makes twice a year.

The fighters come for quick money and cheering by a live audience. A fighter can make 10,000 to 20,000 Indian rupees from a single bout, which sometimes lasts less than a minute. The average Indian monthly income is about 4,416 rupees, according to government data.

FROM U.S. TO INDIA

The evenings are organised by Prashant Kumar, a trained mixed martial arts fighter who runs an advertising firm and said he dreamed of bringing the concept to India ever since first seeing it in the United States a decade go.

"The audience is increasing with every fight night as it's a cheap mode of live entertainment for big spenders in this city," Kumar said.

"People are getting bored of watching sports on television. They want to see and feel the pulse of it by being a few meters away from the action."

Fight nights take place in hired studios in Mumbai otherwise used for Bollywood film shoots. The audience is invited mostly through word of mouth and social networking sites like Facebook.

The overall event usually lasts for 3 hours with around eight or nine matches in different weight categories. Every bout consists of three rounds of 10-12 minutes, and most end in knockouts.

Following each night is an after party. Kumar gives free entry with every fight night pass, along with two cans of beer.

"For me it's money to party and also a ticket to become popular with the girls in college who like boys who fight," said a young fighter who prefers anonymity since his parents have yet to find out he participates.

The audience consists of expats, young men and women working in multinational companies and sometimes even families -- anybody able to fork out the 1,000 rupees for a ticket.

"I cannot believe I am watching this in Mumbai," exclaims Anubhav, a 30-year-old banker.

"Next time I am going to bring 10 of my friends. This is amazing. This is pure action with real blood."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Did I not give them enough credit for Cricket??? LOL Clearly I'm mistaken and dense...maybe you could shed some light on India's athletic prowess on the international stage on any other sport. I'm well aware of India's historical connections with Yoga and martial arts again, last time I checked yoga was not a competitive sport and maybe you could point out some famous Indian athletes what sports they've won renown in?

I'm not trying to disrespect my Indian brothers...I'd love to see them succeed in any sporting endeavor...but they suck at the olympic competition, most team sports (aside from cricket apparently), golf, soccer, tennis etc. I have yet to hear of any Indian Martial arts champions be it boxing, wrestling, full contact fighting whatever.

When you mention the word India-let me know the first sport that comes to people's minds when you associate the two. Oh yeah...I forgot Cricket. Have I made my point.

Frost the only one sh*tting you, is yourself, you ought to chill out and get over yourself a little bit Princess.

The results speak for themselves...for a country with over a billion people they have not done well at all in the Olympics. They even went three consecutive Olympic games in the 1980s and 1990s without even a single medal, the two next games only single bronze medal.

As far as the the Asian Games...I will give them little credit based on their competition.

For the Common wealth games, they get some kudos, aside from Cricket and Rugby, I'm not sure what other sports are played.
    Last edited by Hebrew Hammer; 03-15-2012 at 12:18 PM.