Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MMA in India

Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Hammer View Post
    Did I not give them enough credit for Cricket??? LOL Clearly I'm mistaken and dense...maybe you could shed some light on India's athletic prowess on the international stage on any other sport. I'm well aware of India's historical connections with Yoga and martial arts again, last time I checked yoga was not a competitive sport and maybe you could point out some famous Indian athletes what sports they've won renown in?

I'm not trying to disrespect my Indian brothers...I'd love to see them succeed in any sporting endeavor...but they suck at the olympic competition, most team sports (aside from cricket apparently), golf, soccer, tennis etc. I have yet to hear of any Indian Martial arts champions be it boxing, wrestling, full contact fighting whatever.

When you mention the word India-let me know the first sport that comes to people's minds when you associate the two. Oh yeah...I forgot Cricket. Have I made my point.

Frost the only one sh*tting you, is yourself, you ought to chill out and get over yourself a little bit Princess.
    princess, LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t

they s*ck at the OL games because they dont care about it, you dont get it do you not everyone cares about the OL games, just like they dont care about american football, or baseball cricket is the second biggest sport in the world after football and they are very competitive in that. Tennis, polo, weight lifting and golf are four other sports you can associate with India and they have had people do well in those sports on an individual basis, now unlike other countries they dont have the finances to throw around to have full time athletic teams sponsored by the state, but just because they dont compete on the world stage doesn't mean they dont do those sports, and since its a country of 1 billion im sure they get enough competition in house and dont need to go abroad

IF you have ever been to the country, met the people from it or got you head out of your b*tt long enough to read a book on the country you would know they are known for their athletic ability in the areas they find important, cricket, wrestling being two, not those the west or you think of as important

you have made your point you are right ...just probably not the one you are thinking about

give it up paul, some people dont realise that its a poor country that doesnt have many if any state sponsered sports teams and yet still holds its own in the commonwealth games

Olympics and MMA don't mix

That being said, Jamyang Namgial and Shiva Keshavan at the Vancouver Olympics two years ago were awesome. They almost achieved the same stature of the Jamaican bobsled team.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    That being said, Jamyang Namgial and Shiva Keshavan at the Vancouver Olympics two years ago were awesome. They almost achieved the same stature of the Jamaican bobsled team.
    Gene, no one likes a know it all! There is already one on this thread, Frost, and he's going through bad curry withdrawals.

I'll give them a google...
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

Gene, no one likes a know it all! There is already one on this thread, Frost, and he's going through bad curry withdrawals.

I'll give them a google...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I don't always agree with Frost-- but he is correct on this issue. Indian state sponsorship of a wide range of Olympic sports is not extensive. But there is a lot of sporting activity in India.

joy chaudhuri

Did I not give them enough credit for Cricket??? LOL Clearly I'm mistaken and dense...maybe you could shed some light on India's athletic prowess on the international stage on any other sport. I'm well aware of India's historical connections with Yoga and martial arts again, last time I checked yoga was not a competitive sport and maybe you could point out some famous Indian athletes what sports they've won renown in?

I'm not trying to disrespect my Indian brothers...I'd love to see them succeed in any sporting endeavor...but they suck at the Olympic competition, most team sports (aside from cricket apparently), golf, soccer, tennis etc. I have yet to hear of any Indian Martial arts champions be it boxing, wrestling, full contact fighting whatever.

When you mention the word India-let me know the first sport that comes to people's minds when you associate the two. Oh yeah...I forgot Cricket. Have I made my point.

Frost the only one sh*tting you, is yourself, you ought to chill out and get over yourself a little bit Princess.
    Be careful you don't confuse priorities for potential. Like I said in my last post, they do their own thing. They don't really care about the Olympics the way other nations use it to measure their greatness. being one of the oldest civilizations on earth, they have their own thing. Also, India has produced some of the worlds greatest wrestlers. I find it hard to believe they haven't medaled in wrestling at least once or twice. Not bad considering how much money they spend on their Olympic goals. Iran produces some deadly grappler's too. I am willing to bet that India spent like 1/100th of the money that the top medaling nations did. Canada proved last year that money = medals. It has far less to do with talent pool. It only takes one great athlete to take a medal. After finding a natural to commit, it comes down to how much access they have to facility and training. And that comes down to money. Always. Money. Not amazing talent pools. Money. All those nations that don't succeed are merely untapped talent pools.

Just cause Indians basically took math to another level unseen in any other culture doesn't mean any other culture wouldn't have been able to do it given the desire and access to do so. Indians liked math, it was their thing. So they came up with the best numeral system we have. they invented basic concepts that went right over the worlds greatest minds before that time.

Jhara "pahlwan" of Pakistan winning over Japan's Anoki:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_sNx...e_gdata_player
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Indian wrestling festival:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEQ0o...e_gdata_player
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sushil Kumar of India beating Russia;s Gogayev in world championship
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OQ6ZkQgugc
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    India;s Vijender Singh in boxing championship
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q73rC...eature=related
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Commonwealth games boxing- Delhi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijrhf2tVivk
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Kom-women's boxing champion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqkI1V0kP_s
    -------------------------------------------------
    Akhil Kumar -Indian boxer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHrJ6...eature=related
    ----------------------------------------------

ETc Etc Etc

How annoying is that??? Nothing is more ridiculous then having to give your personal information to a foreign national...I remember this one time this guy wanted my social security number and Driver's license number just to reset my password or change some info on my credit card account...I laughed then canceled my card with that company after sending them a lengthy what for!
    Hebrew Hammer,
    You have the right to ask to speak to an American and they have to switch you over. If not they can be fined a lot of money. It's not offensive at all really because there's nothing wrong with wanting to speak with someone you understand. If you don't understand the American operator then you're screwed!

Hebrew hammer has good points. Every country had/has Indiginous people that wrestle. Brazil has them. African countries has them. Mongolia has them. And every country has a history of martial traditions. So what? This does not mean they are known for being good. The Olympics is the borometer for international competition. Hebrew Hammer for President!

If I find an obscure reference about a wrestler from Kazistan who beat an American or Japanese player does that mean Kazistan is know for anything other than the country Borat isn't really from? Watch Frost find a Wikipedia entry about how Kazistan is know for this or that. Lol.

Fine. India doesn't care about the Olympics. Until they compete and win internationally in front of the world all the other stuff is less important when discussing proof about athletic endeavors. The Gurkhas? Really? Mma people make fun of Kung fu people for not competing in open mma and wc for only fighting against themselves. This is the same argument Hebrew hammer is making about India. If they can compete against themselves and be considered good than king fu people are good too based on the same logic.
    Last edited by SavvySavage; 03-17-2012 at 03:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SavvySavage View Post
    Hebrew Hammer,
    You have the right to ask to speak to an American and they have to switch you over. If not they can be fined a lot of money. It's not offensive at all really because there's nothing wrong with wanting to speak with someone you understand. If you don't understand the American operator then you're screwed!

Hebrew hammer has good points. Every country had/has Indiginous people that wrestle. Brazil has them. African countries has them. Mongolia has them. And every country has a history of martial traditions. So what? This does not mean they are known for being good. The Olympics is the borometer for international competition. Hebrew Hammer for President!

If I find an obscure reference about a wrestler from Kazistan who beat an American or Japanese player does that mean Kazistan is know for anything other than the country Borat isn't really from? Watch Frost find a Wikipedia entry about how Kazistan is know for this or that. Lol.

Fine. India doesn't care about the Olympics. Until they compete and win internationally in front of the world all the other stuff is less important when discussing proof about athletic endeavors. The Gurkhas? Really? Mma people make fun of Kung fu people for not competing in open mma and wc for only fighting against themselves. This is the same argument Hebrew hammer is making about India. If they can compete against themselves and be considered good than king fu people are good too based on the same logic.
    sorry is English your first language because you are jumping all over the place...ill try to answer you

To start with, India has several sports teams who compete internationally, cricket, powerlifting, football, polo etc, and several individual athletes who do well in other sports tennis, badminton golf they dont do well in the Games because they as a country dont have the money to put into the sports, its a poor country with other priorities shock horror

ANd comparing india to wing chun really?? wing chun is mocked because it as a whole dont spar or compete amongst themselves apart from sticky hands which many see as unrealistic...its totally different.......id make the comparison (if i had to) more so to folk style wrestling in the states, its not an international sport but still builds athletes, or sanda sparring.... like the indian wrestlers both compete amongst themselves without going out to a wider combat pool, folkstyle wrestlers have to switch to free style internationally for example, indian wrestlers have to switch to free style as well, some do most cant afford to go out of the country to compete, it comes done to money really not athletic ability

Hebrew Hammer,

Really??? Seriously.... Really?

Your knowledge base and your spelling are horrible.

The Olympics are not and never will be a global yardstick of athletic ability. The Olympics measure one thing and one thing only. How much any given nation wants to win at the Olympics.

Do people here actually believe that Indians are genetically less athletic than other places that score more gold at the Olympics? Because that is what defines athletic ability, after that it simply comes down to desire. I argue that any culture with the desire and means to win gold can and will. Do you really disagree with that? And I'm not talking about India alone, I'm talking about everywhere, anywhere. Unless the whole talent pool is physically defective in some way that prohibits competition in any particular sport they have very similar potential. Ok so a race of Pygmies can't beat the USA basketball team, obviously, but there's no reason why China can't. And compared to the average American they are quite short, but certainly they can find enough tall players and even lil cats that can really ball to win. If China said "we are gonna put every resource at our disposal in to creating a Chinese dream team that will take gold", they could.

And I use China as an example because they are a perfect example of a nation that buys Olympic gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    Really??? Seriously.... Really?

Your knowledge base and your spelling are horrible.

The Olympics are not and never will be a global yardstick of athletic ability. The Olympics measure one thing and one thing only. How much any given nation wants to win at the Olympics.

Do people here actually believe that Indians are genetically less athletic than other places that score more gold at the Olympics? Because that is what defines athletic ability, after that it simply comes down to desire. I argue that any culture with the desire and means to win gold can and will. Do you really disagree with that? And I'm not talking about India alone, I'm talking about everywhere, anywhere. Unless the whole talent pool is physically defective in some way that prohibits competition in any particular sport they have very similar potential. Ok so a race of Pygmies can't beat the USA basketball team, obviously, but there's no reason why China can't. And compared to the average American they are quite short, but certainly they can find enough tall players and even lil cats that can really ball to win. If China said "we are gonna put every resource at our disposal in to creating a Chinese dream team that will take gold", they could.

And I use China as an example because they are a perfect example of a nation that buys Olympic gold.

I type this from my phone and don't have the luxury of spell check like you. Actually there are barely any spelling errors in my last post. Nice try. Lol.

So the Olympics don't count because governments spend money on their athletes? The athletes still have to work out and perform. I guess the UFC doesn't count either since fighters are paid by sponsors to train all day. UFC fights don't prove anything at all because the fighters are being bankrolled. Guys like kimbo Slice, who did training and fighting on his own, are much better than UFC fighters. Wtf are you talking about? Most countries don't have the money the US and China have to spend on their athletes and they win gold metals in the Olympics. Saddam Hussiens son threatened and killed athletes that didn't perform well. How does a small country like Greece enter the Olympics and win but not India? I'm not saying they're inferior. I'm saying they should get their act together and prove it on the world stage. From what Frost and Syn7 are saying Indiabs don't need state of the art facilities like all these countries that "spoil" their athletes. They can work out in the jungle and be at the same level.
    Last edited by SavvySavage; 03-17-2012 at 05:54 PM.

From what Frost and Syn7 are saying Indiabs don't need state of the art facilities like all these countries that "spoil" their athletes. They can work out in the jungle and be at the same level.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good grief!! You are misrepresenting what Frost and Syn7 said. Further-India is not all jungle.
    Some stereotyping!
    India has not been caught up in the Olympic fever. .. at least not yet. State support has been there for sending teams for international cricket- where India does fairly well. Don Bradman was impressed with Sachin Tendulkar's batting.He may well be the best batsman at the current time.
    Bradman was the best of all time. But most people may not know much about Bradman or Tendulkar's excellence. I don't criticize them for that.
    There is a lot of wrestling in India...but they are not yet deeply into free style.The wrestling is in specially prepared pits or large dirt grounds- where the footing is different from doing it on mats.
    There is a debate in some quarters whether to shift to mats. Indian wrestling training is quite demanding. Karl Gotch was impressed with Indian wrestling and adopted some training methods.
    What is the main point that you are making? I am unclear on that. I enjoy the Olympics. State support and/or commercial sponsorships make a huge difference.Little old Cuba put it's chips on boxing and they did well for a long time.. partly for political purposes,
    India has not made sporting activity in general- a political activity.
    Hebrew Hammer underestimated the amount of sporting activity in India-that's all.No big argument.

joy chaudhuri

On the remark on the UFC- I enjoy watching MMA but just dont participate in it.
    There are many forms of excellence in human movement- not all of it is in the Olympics.

I don't fight in the UFC because I don't have sponsors or a popular name. The truth is that I'm probably better than Matt Hughes, BJ Penn, and Royce Gracie combined. I don't need to show it though because I don't care about proving my skills in international cage competitions since I already excel in math, cricket, wrestling in dirt pits, and interior decorating. It's not that I can't compete with these top level fighters it's just that I haven't been hit with the UFC fever yet and I am so good at non-UFC activities so why bother competing at all? I fight all the time in my club.

The above is all sarcasm but I think it's a good analogy. Everyone relax.

I don't fight in the UFC because I don't have sponsors or a popular name. The truth is that I'm probably better than Matt Hughes, BJ Penn, and Royce Gracie combined. I don't need to show it though because I don't care about proving my skills in international cage competitions since I already excel in math, cricket, wrestling in dirt pits, and interior decorating. It's not that I can't compete with these top level fighters it's just that I haven't been hit with the UFC fever yet and I am so good at non-UFC activities so why bother competing at all? I fight all the time in my club.

The above is all sarcasm but I think it's a good analogy. Everyone relax.
    you probably would think its a good analogy but anyone with half a brain would see the faults in it

firstly we were talking about athletic endeavour not just fighting, and india does compete internationally in several sports

http://superfightleague.com/about_sfl.php
    secondly there is MMA inside india (see above) they just havent got the money to travel and compete, so it would better to say im a amature MMA fighter who cant get the backing to become a professional fighter, but im still proving my skills in competition against fully resisting opponents

I type this from my phone and don't have the luxury of spell check like you. Actually there are barely any spelling errors in my last post. Nice try. Lol.

So the Olympics don't count because governments spend money on their athletes? The athletes still have to work out and perform. I guess the UFC doesn't count either since fighters are paid by sponsors to train all day. UFC fights don't prove anything at all because the fighters are being bankrolled. Guys like kimbo Slice, who did training and fighting on his own, are much better than UFC fighters. Wtf are you talking about? Most countries don't have the money the US and China have to spend on their athletes and they win gold metals in the Olympics. Saddam Hussiens son threatened and killed athletes that didn't perform well. How does a small country like Greece enter the Olympics and win but not India? I'm not saying they're inferior. I'm saying they should get their act together and prove it on the world stage. From what Frost and Syn7 are saying Indiabs don't need state of the art facilities like all these countries that "spoil" their athletes. They can work out in the jungle and be at the same level.
    last time i checked Greece still wasnt trying to get basic water hygine to 1billion people and banish Leprosy to the history books, simply pt the indian government has better things to spend its money on...so does Greece now lol