Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Marco Polo - Netflix Original Series

Double nominee for the American Society of Cinematographers

'Gotham', 'Marco Polo' Lead TV Nominees For 30th ASC Awards
    By Erik Pedersen
    November 18, 2015
    10:23am

Fox’s Gotham and Netflix’s Marco Polo are the only double nominees as the American Society of Cinematographers tuned in the TV nominations its 30th annual ASC Awards today. Streaming services landed four of the 10 slots across two categories, and more than half of the noms went to freshman shows: Marco Polo, NBC’s Blindspot, Amazon’s The Man In The High Castle and Casanova and Syfy’s 12 Monkeys.

“These talented individuals have earned the admiration of their fellow cinematographers for their tremendous artistry,” said Daryn Okada, who chairs the ASC’s Awards Committee. “There is a lot of truly outstanding and innovative imagery being created for television, and the work of these directors of photography exemplifies the high standards being set.”

Here are the TV noms for the trophy show, which is set for February 14 at the Hyatt Regency Century Plaza:

Episode of a Regular Series:
    Vanja Cernjul, ASC, HFS for MARCO POLO, “The Fourth Step” (NETFLIX)
    David Greene, CSC for 12 MONKEYS, “Mentally Divergent” (SYFY)
    Christopher Norr for GOTHAM, “Strike Force” (FOX)
    Crescenzo Notarile, ASC, AIC for GOTHAM, “Scarification” (FOX)
    Fabian Wagner, BSC for GAME OF THRONES, “Hardhome” (HBO)

Television Movie, Miniseries, or Pilot:
    Martin Ahlgren for BLINDSPOT pilot (NBC)
    Pierre Gill, CSC for CASANOVA (AMAZON)
    James Hawkinson for THE MAN IN THE HIGH CASTLE pilot (AMAZON)
    Jeffrey Jur, ASC for BESSIE (HBO)
    Romain Lacourbas for MARCO POLO pilot (NETFLIX)
    heh. called it.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    man, I hope Marco Polo makes it...great stuff. but, their story is reading like the HBO show 'Rome' ...good stuff but too big a budget to continue.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

John Fusco just posted this on his facebook

It's also on the Netflix twitter feed.

See his side of the story. The special, #MarcoPolo: One Hundred Eyes, arrives December 26, only on Netflix.

RETWEETS 58
    LIKES 137
    12:58 PM - 4 Dec 2015
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

This series I did like and will continue to watch as long as they make them.

Marco Polo: Hundred Eyes - Featurette - Netflix

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Lol. Fake Mantis fighting

Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    Lol. Fake Mantis fighting

Cinematic fighting doesn't mean fake fighting.
    What it does is take the forms (bits and pieces) and put them into action in a highly artistic rendering of what combat would be IF forms were "real".
    In short, it is good clean fun and it is as fake as any other type of cinematic fighting.
    Of course if you look CLOSE, you will see some "real" mantis.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    What it does is take the forms (bits and pieces) and put them into action in a highly artistic rendering of what combat would be IF forms were "real".
    Sure, I get that.

Just that in this case, the artistic rendering demonstrated Mantis in ways that were both superficial and incorrect.

Same issue like in an action movie when someone breaks into a room through an air duct that is totally clean, lit, and quiet.

Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    Sure, I get that.

Just that in this case, the artistic rendering demonstrated Mantis in ways that were both superficial and incorrect.

Same issue like in an action movie when someone breaks into a room through an air duct that is totally clean, lit, and quiet.
    It wasn't THAT bad dude.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    It wasn't THAT bad dude.
    Ok, I'm being picky.

But:

Weird @ss elbow break at :32. Mantis has some legit preferred techniques for that situation, but not like what was shown.

Mantis posing from :56-:59. Maybe looks cool in a Wushu kind of way, but his transitions and intent comes across like he doesn't know how to use Mantis hands. When and how a person uses the Mantis claws and the intent behind the movement is a big tell when people fake that they know Mantis.

Mantis claw hand holding at 1:05-1:12. No reason to hook hands together like that, and definately makes no sense to do that for 7 seconds. The guy in black had a legit Mantis response to the situation, but it came about 6.9 seconds too late. We yell at beginners all the time for fixating on holding the grab.

More posing at 1:24. Takes more than that to be Mantis.

Some legit movie-fu Mantis at :32.

Several properly choreographed Mantis hooks in series.

Only fault is that it was all defensive with no counter-attack. But that is fitting with the plot for that scene.

-N-

What do you think of the Mantis fighting in the end fight in Warriors Two? Watch the arch-villain played by Fung Hak-On (who removes the mask at the beginning). Of course, he overuses the hook, holds on too long, and there is wirework as he does his purely cinematic "Di Tanglang/Ground Mantis", but IMO it's a better onscreen representation of Mantis than the "wushu" versions. What impresses me about his scenes, especially as the fight progresses, is he fluidly combines his upper and lower body, hands/legs, kicks/sweeps, etc. Most Mantis in the movies only uses either the hands or the feet at a time, but doesn't smoothly combine them together like Fung. He looks to me like someone who actually had some Mantis background and was obviously heavily "cinemizing" it for effect.

From 0:00 - 0:53, and again from 3:51 onwards.

Last edited by Jimbo; 12-08-2015 at 08:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    -N-

What do you think of the Mantis fighting in the end fight in Warriors Two? Watch the arch-villain played by Fung Hak-On (who removes the mask at the beginning). Of course, he overuses the hook, holds on too long, and there is wirework as he does his purely cinematic "Di Tanglang/Ground Mantis", but IMO it's a better onscreen representation of Mantis than the "wushu" versions. What impresses me about his scenes, especially as the fight progresses, is he fluidly combines his upper and lower body, hands/legs, kicks/sweeps, etc. Most Mantis in the movies only uses either the hands or the feet at a time, but doesn't smoothly combine them together like Fung. He looks to me like someone who actually had some Mantis background and was obviously heavily "cinemizing" it for effect.

From 0:00 - 0:53, and again from 3:51 onwards.
    Not bad for 70's style movie-fu.

He does look like he has some Mantis background. But the 70's style choreography and "artistic license" kind of mess it up for me. Too much posing, misrepresented stereotype techniques, and no real flow.

Yes, better integration of handwork and legwork in the choreography though.

More of him in Snake in the Eagle's Shadow.

And here.

Check out the part where Sifu Tsui Siu Ming talks about movie-fu and Mantis.

4:05

Also, check out as he demos Mantis applications while casually explaining what to look for.

6:00