Thread: Nan Gun - how long?

Nan Gun - how long?

Is there a standard rule for the dimensions of a southern staff (how long and how thick)? Does it have to be my height or shorter or taller?

The two I am familiar with:

1. Eyebrow height

2. Stand and put your arm over your head. The height of the base of the palm where it meets the wrist.
    Last edited by Golden Arms; 02-02-2012 at 05:41 PM.
    -Golden Arms-

Stand and put your arm over your head. The height of the base of the palm where it meets the wrist.
    Just looked at the Nan Gun video of He Qiang and at the beginning that staff seems to be several inches taller than him.
    Last edited by zhugeliang; 02-02-2012 at 08:15 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zhugeliang View Post
    Is there a standard rule for the dimensions of a southern staff (how long and how thick)? Does it have to be my height or shorter or taller?
    This has been explained many time b4... for sure Hung Gar and Wing Chun use very heavy poles to train with.

You specifically said southern I will use some common guidlines for a Rat Tail type long staff...ala One side thicker and then it tapers to the point.

In Hung Gar, you basically have 2 versions for Long Pole.
    * The training pole is heavier and double your height...so if you are 6' tall, then you will have a 12 ft length training pole.

The thickest part of the staff ( ala at the rear hand) should be about the largest circle created when you make the "OK" hand gesture with the tip of your Middle finger and thumb. If you really want to kill your hand with a workout...go thicker.

This pole will really be heavy and tire you out quickly unless you are used to it.

One of my brothers was a 6'-3" Tall dude, he had trouble finding a long pole to suit him...he ended up going to a marina and using a Small Mast (shaved down) from a sail boat. Very creative.

* Fighting pole, is more like a Shaolin Standard length staff. I was always taught it would be a more comfortable length like 7 to 7.5 ft and easier to wield.

Truthfully, I would definately preffer to fence or spar with the smaller faster version.

"O"
    http://cykwoon.freewebspace.com/
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Subitai

"O"..."Some people believe that you need to make another human being tap out to be a valid art. But I am constantly reminding them that I only have to defend myself and keep you from hurting me in order to Win."
    "O"..."The Hung Style practiced solely in methods of Antiquity would ultimately only be useful versus Similar skill sets"

+1 on what Subitai said if you are talking about the long pole.
    -Golden Arms-

one of the ways we use where I train is to spread your fingers out, and measure two hand widths (thumb to pinky) starting from in between your eyes. Another is roughly one hand high above your head. (bottom of palm to tip of middle finger.

traditionaly 7 Chinese feet 2 inches (7 尺 2 寸), cca. 240 cm; for training i would say 240 cm and longer :-)
    PM

Practical Hung Kyun 實用洪拳

www.practicalhungkyun.com