Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I Am Bruce Lee

I Am Bruce Lee

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

do we really need another documentary about bruce lee? do we? what new insight is this going to offer to the lexicon? will they talk about his marijuana use, or relationship with betty ting pei or is it just another bruce lee is so great he is the best in the whole wide world...movie? if so skip!

whats cool though (i only saw it without sound on work pc) is that they have professional fighters being interviewed it looks like. seems like a new persepective as far as bruce lee docs go. first time ive seen a compilations of well respected pro fighters put in one string of interviews giving their inspirational and motivational bruce lee start up stories and what not.

i think this might cater to the crowd of now grown developed martial artists that did get inspiration to begin from bruce lee. i could be totally wrong, but thats what it looks like.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

yea...ill pass...sorry bruce.

Greetings,

If some fine looking chick said that "xyz" put b@lls on men of African ancestry, I would be deeply offended. I was offended seeing this chic say that about Chinese men. That alone, scratches this crap of a doc off of my list. That line was taken from the book "The Legend of Bruce Lee" by Alex Ben Block. It was not nice then. IT IS NOT NICE NOW!!

Here is a forty two second clip of Lo Wei, who directed Bruce Lee in the Big Boss (Fists of Fury). Things got hot between the two of them during filming. Yet, this clip shows a very deep sense of loss and sincere feeling on the part of Lo Wei about Bruce. Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TID5vYclX4A

mickey
    Last edited by mickey; 01-19-2012 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    Greetings,

If some fine looking chick said that "xyz" put b@lls on men of African ancestry, I would be deeply offended. I was offended seeing this chic say that about Chinese men. That alone, scratches this crap of a doc off of my list. That line was taken from the book "The Legend of Bruce Lee" by Alex Ben Block. It was not nice then. IT IS NOT NICE NOW!!

Here is a forty two second clip of Lo Wei, who directed Bruce Lee in the Big Boss (Fists of Fury). Things got hot between the two of them during filming. Yet, this clip shows a very deep sense of loss and sincere feeling on the part of Lo Wei about Bruce. Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TID5vYclX4A

mickey
    well one thing ill say about that comment i think you interpreted it wrong...when it was said she meant how people viewed asians in america at the time especially in hollywood never the hero just the "hop sing" no ticky no washy character...wasnt till this suave ass mofo named bruce lee came on the screen kicking ass and taking names that peoples eyes opened up and people were like wow asians can be badasses too...thus the comment.

doug maverick,

She was not the first to make that comment. It was in that book I mentioned, verbatim. Better words could have been chosen. Even your words are better.

mickey

didnt take you for the sensitive type.if it makes you feel any better malcolm Xgave black guys balls.

I've also seen that comment more than once. Apparently, it's pretty popular to use. Whether it was referring to non-Asians' view of Asians (or more specifically, Chinese) or not, I always found it a bit offensive, and I'm not even Chinese. What other racial group besides east Asians would people not of that group still be able to freely and openly say that about nowadays without any repercussions?

I think I could give another BL doc a miss. Pretty much everything to be said about him has been said. There was even a bad Shaw Bros movie covering his relationship with Betty Ting Pei (starring Betty herself; weird person, BTW).

Lots of people assume everyone during that era and beyond took up MA because of BL. Not me; I'd been training a couple of years before I saw my first BL movie. My reasons for training were a lot more immediate; self-preservation.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 01-19-2012 at 08:59 PM.

doug maverick,

If you read my first post carefully, I wrote that I would find it deeply offensive to be talked about in that way.

mickey

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    doug maverick,

If you read my first post carefully, I wrote that I would find it deeply offensive to be talked about in that way.

mickey
    wait youre not even asian?

wait, you're just finding out?

still to my recollection this is the first documentary with current world class fighters/champs giving their take and telling their inspirational stories. i know a lot of people have butt hurt syndrome with bruce lee, but the guy really did do a lot for modern martial arts, whether anyone wants to admit it or not. im far from a bruce lee nut rider, but at the same time i dont hold anything agains the guy...there really is no reason to be a hater.

anyone show me how they impacted kungfu in america better ? i for one respect highly any guy who can put kungfu on the map like that. it deserves props whether people think so or not. i like kungfu. i dont let other peoples obsessions skew my own impression of a guy who really did do a lot. i'll definately watch this.
    Last edited by Lucas; 01-20-2012 at 10:34 AM.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

With BL, there doesn't seem to be any in-between; most people seem to either worship him or totally criticize/hate on him. I've always respected BL, more for his drive and intelligence than for his movies. What I got tired of is people who would tell me, 'If it wasn't for Bruce Lee, you would never have done martial arts." Which is utter BS. I give full credit where credit is due, but I will not give it where it is not...in my case, my motivations for studying MA.

However, there does seem to be a trend of BL-hating; i.e., "He sucked," "He wasn't actually a good MAist," "He sucked as an actor," etc. I've always said, if becoming a true icon is so easy, why can't everybody do it? And he did it at a time when doing so was a LOT harder than today. Whether BL was a great actor or not I can't say; but I will say beyond any doubt that what BL had was charisma. You can't learn that or buy it; you either have it or you don't.

I'll watch any Bruce Lee documentary

I doubt I'll make it to one of those limited engagement theatrical showings listed on their website, but I'll see it eventually on DVD or streamed or somewhere.

It is noteworthy that this doc was even able to manage to get a limited theatrical release instead of just being distributed via disc and web. That makes it stand out from the recent cable docs.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart