Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wing Chun Weapons

Wing Chun Weapons

6.5 Point Pole/ Baat Jaam Dao.

How do you incorporate them into your training? How do you see the practice of the weapons in the greater context of the system as a whole?

At Gary Lam's The pole is used for conditioning a coordination. as far as the knives go (I personally) have found nothing but ambiance. But many will tell you that it helps your double hand techniques like quan sau.

there are bucket loads of uses for weapons training in WC, not least learning to fight with the weapons in question (or similar). In addition they help increase power by adding weight and also challenging the practitioner to power the weapon (making the blades sing / pole hum), and just as importantly they hold a magnifying glass to your positions and control of your body by virtue of their length which causes small almost imperceptible differences in hand position look like huge movements when viewed at the tip of the weapon.
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

I never learned the pole or butterfly knives. No real need as my Wing Chun was to be a functional tool, and I would not be carrying a pole or knives on me. The razor, brass knuckles, spring blade knife, blackjack, things like that are far more practical since you can stuff them into a pocket.
    Tools of the trade.
    Jackie Lee

I just practice them every now and then and don't agonise over all this "why" sh*t.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    I never learned the pole or butterfly knives. No real need as my Wing Chun was to be a functional tool, and I would not be carrying a pole or knives on me. The razor, brass knuckles, spring blade knife, blackjack, things like that are far more practical since you can stuff them into a pocket.
    Tools of the trade.
    Depends how good you want your "functional tool" to be. Then again if you're going out carrying dusters and flick knives you don't need wing chun (and IMO you shouldn't be taught it)
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Quote Originally Posted by wingchunIan View Post
    Depends how good you want your "functional tool" to be. Then again if you're going out carrying dusters and flick knives you don't need wing chun (and IMO you shouldn't be taught it)
    Well, same can be said for the pole and butterfly knives. If you are going to pack a long stick and a pair of short swords why would you need Wing Chun? The only difference here is the choice of weapons. It was understood that I would find occasion to use Wing Chun to fight, and sometimes it simply isn't going to be enough. Thus the small pocket weapons. Carrying a long stick or a couple of big knives would certainly attract attention, so that was pretty much out of the question. I could have put them to use on several occasions, but the smaller pocket weapons were so much easier to hide.
    I am assuming that you practice Wing Chun and the weapons simply for the traditional feel of it all. Cultural or whatever. For me, it is just another weapon that I could hide from public view. Nothing to do with Honor or anything else except to be able to take your lunch money.
    Jackie Lee

Well, same can be said for the pole and butterfly knives. If you are going to pack a long stick and a pair of short swords why would you need Wing Chun? The only difference here is the choice of weapons. It was understood that I would find occasion to use Wing Chun to fight, and sometimes it simply isn't going to be enough. Thus the small pocket weapons. Carrying a long stick or a couple of big knives would certainly attract attention, so that was pretty much out of the question. I could have put them to use on several occasions, but the smaller pocket weapons were so much easier to hide.
    I am assuming that you practice Wing Chun and the weapons simply for the traditional feel of it all. Cultural or whatever. For me, it is just another weapon that I could hide from public view. Nothing to do with Honor or anything else except to be able to take your lunch money.
    I train the weapons for two reasons, in case the need and opportunity arises to pick up and utilise an improvised weapon, and to improve my empty hand tools. As you live in Texas and don't have an issue with carrying / using a weapon, why not simply carry a gun and have done with it?

Quote Originally Posted by WingChunABQ View Post
    6.5 Point Pole/ Baat Jaam Dao.

How do you incorporate them into your training? How do you see the practice of the weapons in the greater context of the system as a whole?
    I personally feel that I would not know the Wing Chun I know without having learnt the weapons and I was lucky really to have exposure to them quite early on (after about 3 years)

My training is totally interactive too, not just copying the forms. I learnt that our weaponry is 'paired' and without a strong stick man your knife will only progress so far and vice versa.

A key reason for the introduction of another systems pole and stick work imho because the knife men had to train with somebody!!
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by wingchunIan View Post
    I train the weapons for two reasons, in case the need and opportunity arises to pick up and utilise an improvised weapon, and to improve my empty hand tools. As you live in Texas and don't have an issue with carrying / using a weapon, why not simply carry a gun and have done with it?
    I do carry a gun. However, there are still quite a number of establishments that do not allow guns. One I remember right off hand was a Lubby's restaurant where a man drove his truck through the front door to block exit and walked through shooting everyone. A single gun might have made a big difference, but they had a big red gun on a sign with a slash through it. In fact, I think it might have been the main reason they went ahead and passed that law. I think it was when they finally realized that the law or the police can simply not protect you.
    Jackie Lee

I would rather ask for forgiveness than permission. I carry as well and will carry in any and all restaurants. Bars are different and I would never carry in a bar.

With respect for The police, they cannot and many cases will not protect you. That is not their job. We have been brainwashed into thinking such things.

In many major cities, the police are unable to deal with the amount of calls they have to deal with.

the onus for one's own self defense is one's self.
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

Tools of the trade.
    Brass Knuckles, switchblades, and blackjacks in MA would get your a felony illegal weapons charge, as well as financial penalties and the forfeiture of any CCW permits.

Many Martial Arts systems have their own signature weapon/training tool; for example, WC we have 6.5P and BJD, Xing Yi the Spear, Tai Chi the whippy (not floppy) Jian, TSK the Iron Rings, and Bagua the Deer Horn/Yue, Silat the Karambit etc. The signature weapon represents the key to the Methods and Philosophy of the system, although sometimes not obvious. Understand the signature weapon and you will unlock a big part of the system.

Weapon training is not just about using that specific weapon.
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

I do carry a gun. However, there are still quite a number of establishments that do not allow guns. One I remember right off hand was a Lubby's restaurant where a man drove his truck through the front door to block exit and walked through shooting everyone. A single gun might have made a big difference, but they had a big red gun on a sign with a slash through it. In fact, I think it might have been the main reason they went ahead and passed that law. I think it was when they finally realized that the law or the police can simply not protect you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale Dugas View Post
    I would rather ask for forgiveness than permission. I carry as well and will carry in any and all restaurants. Bars are different and I would never carry in a bar.

With respect for The police, they cannot and many cases will not protect you. That is not their job. We have been brainwashed into thinking such things.

In many major cities, the police are unable to deal with the amount of calls they have to deal with.

the onus for one's own self defense is one's self.

You two want to try living in the UK where carrying any kind of concealed weaponry is illegal in the extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by Treznor View Post
    You two want to try living in the UK where carrying any kind of concealed weaponry is illegal in the extreme.
    I would not live in such a nation.

I feel for anyone who has to deal with not being able to defend themselves against criminals who care nothing for the law and use it to commit crimes.

Self defense is a human right.