Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wing Chun Weapons

Quote Originally Posted by Treznor View Post
    Oh yeah, I forgot to ask...

Are you seriously saying that, if you were born and bred in a country with strict gun / weapon control, you would emigrate just so you could carry weaponry?

OR

You find your perfect job paying 3 times your current salary / love of your life but have to move to a country / state where carrying weapons is illegal... Would you seriously turn it / her / him down for this reason?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

No -I did not say or mean either of the two positions you state above.

joy chaudhuri

Sorry dude... quoted the wrong post.

It was supposed to be directed at Dale Dugas' post where he says:

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Dugas View Post
    I would not live in such a nation.

I feel for anyone who has to deal with not being able to defend themselves against criminals who care nothing for the law and use it to commit crimes.

Self defense is a human right.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    Hmmm obviously your friends think that Yorkshire is the hub of the UK for trends in drunken violence but I don't think so. It is however the birthplace of the Conservative Party, so hey ho! It is 'used' a little in the crime statistical battle we seem to be facing here everyday. I live in London so it's probably a little different.

I will disagree about the Pub Culture being the culprit for armed violence. Do you know the difference between a price for a pint in the pub and in the supermarket?? Do you think the pubs actively sell alcohol to kids under 18? Because it is within this demographic you are using as an example.

Our young London hoodies get their drinks cheap and from older friends/family and they hang around wherever they can because there is no activity offered to them like in the older glory days of the local Boxing Gyms and Youth centres! They wouldn't be seen dead in a pub because of the cost alone, just as they wouldn't buy music and DVDs in a 'shop'!
    I don't have any firsthand knowledge of drunken English violence. Maybe "pub culture" isn't as bad a thing as excessive alcohol consumption itself. Dunno. In my town, kids just steal their parents' Sudafed and make meth (the TV show Breaking Bad, btw, is filmed and set in my hometown of Albuquerque, New Mexico. Glad we're famous for something!).

What does this have to do with Wing Chun weapons? I suppose that training them is useful, despite their surface impracticality ("a man walks into a pub with a Dragon Pole. The waitress asks, 'Do you practice Wing Chun, or are you just happy to see me?'"). We can train them to prepare ourselves to use real-world analogues - a broomstick insead of a 6.5 point pole, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by WingChunABQ View Post
    I don't have any firsthand knowledge of drunken English violence. Maybe "pub culture" isn't as bad a thing as excessive alcohol consumption itself. Dunno. In my town, kids just steal their parents' Sudafed and make meth (the TV show Breaking Bad, btw, is filmed and set in my hometown of Albuquerque, New Mexico. Glad we're famous for something!).
    The thing that always springs to my mind when I think about Albuquerque (which, to be honest isn't too often) is that it's where Bugs Bunny should have turned left

Back to the weapons debate though, according to my sifu there are still valid reasons for training with the weapons... Pole strengthens wrists... Knives is all about footwork / tightens up hand positions.

You know what Bugs Bunny would have done had he made the correct turn here? Started a meth lab, that's what.

I also find that the swords REALLY strengthen the wrists, and both weapons help with body unity/two hand coordination.

Quote Originally Posted by WingChunABQ View Post
    I don't have any firsthand knowledge of drunken English violence. Maybe "pub culture" isn't as bad a thing as excessive alcohol consumption itself. Dunno....

... What does this have to do with Wing Chun weapons?
    Sweet F A (to use a local term!) but everybody was getting on the wagon so I thought I would add my ten pence.

With regards to the thread I have made my oint as clear as I can and I am a true believer in keeping the Weaponry attached to our Art for more than cultural or mystical reasons.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Right. My "what does this have to do with weapons" thing was more for me to get back on topic than criticize what anyone was saying about fighting English drunks.

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    At least choose a weapon you can fabricate a plausible excuse for carrying so the cops at least might think you have a few brain cells. Carry a combat folder in a toolbox or a straight razor with shaving cream and aftershave. If you want to pack a baseball bat, take a glove and ball with you as well. Duster? forget it.
    The whole field of non-lethal self-defense alternatives is a rich one, and usually best approached with locals. Some of those teaching combat handgun and concealed carrry courses (at least in the US) are a great source of this as they are usually pretty familiar with local laws and what works. Many of the best among those instruct law enforcement so that's who I'd go to.

Our newest exclusive web article

Mixing Styles & Weapons? READ Wing Chun and Karambit by Tony Angso

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Yks wc

I see the pole as most beneficial. For strength building and a great work out if you have heavy long pole
    How ever the knives are great too. I have both Double Killing Blades as well as using regular machetes.
    Today the equivalent of the double killing blades would be knives or machetes. I use both traditional butterfly swords
    as well as modern day weapons. But Upon careful study i see that certain weapons were added to WC later.
    I wonder if any other lineages thought about adding new weapons to their training to make it more functional?
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"