Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Always hit them when they're talking" - agree or disagree?

"Always hit them when they're talking" - agree or disagree?

"If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

This may apply in open declared warfare but legally the law is on your side if you block/dodge incoming, then devastate.

The law is generally on your side if you respond proportionately to a threat you believe to be real
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Miles View Post
    Hitting first has lots of advantages. Grandmaster Wei Xiao Tang suggested hitting first and hard in his book, "Practical Praying Mantis".
    - GM Wei Xiao Tang always said, "When you serve hot tea, you throw hot tea at your opponent's face, and then beat him up."

- GM Chang Tung Sheng always said, "When you shake your opponent's hand, drop your upper arm to break his elbow, and then beat him up."

The TCMA world is dark and dirty. Law? What law? It's only kill or to be killed. You may not have intention to kill a tiger, but that tiger does have intention to eat you alive.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 01-22-2012 at 06:01 PM.

my first teacher devoted much time to this...

DISAGREE,

Sorry to be shouting but there are a number of problems with this whole “strike first” philosophy as I see it.

If you hit this person while they are still talking, how in the hell do you know it would ever have escalated to the point of physical violence before a blow was ever thrown?

Morally, do you have right to injure someone (perhaps badly) who was never an actual threat?

Legally, (IMHO) I would think that if you strike first the chances are you are going to end up being arrested, persecuted, and possibly sued. And if you’ve received any sort of martial arts training chances are the judge/jury are going to come down twice as hard.

But, as has already pointed out, if you can show that you acted in a defensive manner the law is going to be on your side.

On further thought it occurs to me that it needs to be said; striking first as advocated is the action of either a bully or a coward!
    Last edited by KungFuBiker; 01-22-2012 at 08:24 PM.
    Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character.
    Albert Einstein

If a small thing has the power to make you angry, does that not indicate something about your size?
    Sydney J. Harris

Greetings,

I saw a demo of this kind of approach done by Ronald Duncan. It is good stuff.

In terms of hitting first, elders have the right to hit first. They can't afford otherwise.

mickey

A devious person is subject to deviate. Deceit and trickery is your friend. If you strike someone from ambush or by surprise, you can stun him for a bit. Even a large person. If you are squared off with him he will not allow this and you may get the worst of the fight. Take any and all advantage of him when you can. There are uncountable ways in which to misdirect his attention for long enough to attack him.
    Violence has it's place in life. When all else fails, when reason is pushed aside, violence will decide the outcome of any conflict. Usually, the one that is in possession of the most violence will win.
    Jackie Lee

Disagree,

I agree with what Biker said above.

Plus with my experience I think many people have mental blocks to initiating violence. A lot can go wrong with a punch, you might end up not hurting them at all but have just escalated the situation.

However I can't fault a lot of what the guy said in the video, its a good tactic if you know you MUST fight.

Sucker Punch < Skill.

Hitting someone over words denotes a simple mindedness.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Verbal threats do NOT equal physical threats.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

If you intend to hit first and hit hard, might as well sneak up behind your enemy and club him with a hammer!

its not yes or no across the board. its yes when you can be sure, no when you cant. i have been in verbal spars knowing that it is escelating to a physical situation simply based on history with the individual and pre knowledge of what they are up to.

are we talking a total stranger every time? someone with history? an ex con with a violent history or a librarian? many times there can be factors involved that will determine whether striking first and immediately is a good, bad, safe or dangerous move.

under the right circumstances. certainly, strike first.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    its not yes or no across the board. its yes when you can be sure, no when you cant. i have been in verbal spars knowing that it is escelating to a physical situation simply based on history with the individual and pre knowledge of what they are up to.
    Yes, not always, but sometimes.

On a side not related to the video- Good luck expecting that a gun will be held against your head so that you have the ability to grab it.

Quote Originally Posted by Peaceful Orchid View Post
    Good luck expecting that a gun will be held against your head so that you have the ability to grab it.
    huh?
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.