Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Always hit them when they're talking" - agree or disagree?

Hybrid View

"Always hit them when they're talking" - agree or disagree?

"If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

This may apply in open declared warfare but legally the law is on your side if you block/dodge incoming, then devastate.

The law is generally on your side if you respond proportionately to a threat you believe to be real
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by PalmStriker View Post
    This may apply in open declared warfare but legally the law is on your side if you block/dodge incoming, then devastate.
    But is it worth the risk? Unless you take hits to the face every day, one hit may be all it takes for some cat to finish you. Why give him that hit if you know it's comming. And you are wrong about the law. I have struck first and got off because I was just defending myself. U are allowed to hit people in certain threatening situations. Especially when intimidation and/or confinement is part of it. Like standing in a doorway, the only doorway, and promissing pain to the occupant, for example. It would not be out of line to run right through the guy.

I was charged for defending myself once aswell. We each had one punch. His didn't land flush and mine did. Dude fell back and ended up in the ER with staples. I was convicted for that one too. Doesn't seem fair does it. But then the law isn't about being fair, it's about order. Otherwise I would be able to do a ton of harmless activities that are at this time quite illegal for whatever reasons.
    Last edited by Syn7; 01-23-2012 at 02:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    But is it worth the risk? Unless you take hits to the face every day, one hit may be all it takes for some cat to finish you. Why give him that hit if you know it's comming. And you are wrong about the law. I have struck first and got off because I was just defending myself. U are allowed to hit people in certain threatening situations. Especially when intimidation and/or confinement is part of it. Like standing in a doorway, the only doorway, and promissing pain to the occupant, for example. It would not be out of line to run right through the guy.

I was charged for defending myself once aswell. We each had one punch. His didn't land flush and mine did. Dude fell back and ended up in the ER with staples. I was convicted for that one too. Doesn't seem fair does it. But then the law isn't about being fair, it's about order. Otherwise I would be able to do a ton of harmless activities that are at this time quite illegal for whatever reasons.
    Not talking about allowing someone to close in and place strikes.
    The closing in, is first blood.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmStriker View Post
    Not talking about allowing someone to close in and place strikes.
    The closing in, is first blood.
    even if i have to cross the room coz i know he's coming for me eventually. not always a bad idea to just get it on while the odds are somewhat even rather than difusing the situation then getting jumped later. which may or may not happen anyways, but you may as well get in while you can and hopefully you can dead the issue right there. you have to be able to read people, sometimes talking it out is better, for sure. but the do not need to be physically aggressive in order to warrant an attack IMO. there are times when you just need to clean house and do it now.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Miles View Post
    Hitting first has lots of advantages. Grandmaster Wei Xiao Tang suggested hitting first and hard in his book, "Practical Praying Mantis".
    - GM Wei Xiao Tang always said, "When you serve hot tea, you throw hot tea at your opponent's face, and then beat him up."

- GM Chang Tung Sheng always said, "When you shake your opponent's hand, drop your upper arm to break his elbow, and then beat him up."

The TCMA world is dark and dirty. Law? What law? It's only kill or to be killed. You may not have intention to kill a tiger, but that tiger does have intention to eat you alive.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 01-22-2012 at 06:01 PM.

my first teacher devoted much time to this...

DISAGREE,

Sorry to be shouting but there are a number of problems with this whole “strike first” philosophy as I see it.

If you hit this person while they are still talking, how in the hell do you know it would ever have escalated to the point of physical violence before a blow was ever thrown?

Morally, do you have right to injure someone (perhaps badly) who was never an actual threat?

Legally, (IMHO) I would think that if you strike first the chances are you are going to end up being arrested, persecuted, and possibly sued. And if you’ve received any sort of martial arts training chances are the judge/jury are going to come down twice as hard.

But, as has already pointed out, if you can show that you acted in a defensive manner the law is going to be on your side.

On further thought it occurs to me that it needs to be said; striking first as advocated is the action of either a bully or a coward!
    Last edited by KungFuBiker; 01-22-2012 at 08:24 PM.
    Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character.
    Albert Einstein

If a small thing has the power to make you angry, does that not indicate something about your size?
    Sydney J. Harris

Greetings,

I saw a demo of this kind of approach done by Ronald Duncan. It is good stuff.

In terms of hitting first, elders have the right to hit first. They can't afford otherwise.

mickey

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    Greetings,

I saw a demo of this kind of approach done by Ronald Duncan. It is good stuff.

In terms of hitting first, elders have the right to hit first. They can't afford otherwise.

mickey
    Ronald Duncan the koga ninja?
    "If Ashida wished you to know his real name, I am sure he would write to you and tell you himself." --Danny Sainty

"So, you supposed martial artists, what are you trining for? Who are you training to fight? Apparently no one. Because even in a hypothetical situation, you puss out, Ha! Ha!" --Ashida Kim

Disagree,

I agree with what Biker said above.

Plus with my experience I think many people have mental blocks to initiating violence. A lot can go wrong with a punch, you might end up not hurting them at all but have just escalated the situation.

However I can't fault a lot of what the guy said in the video, its a good tactic if you know you MUST fight.

Sucker Punch < Skill.

Hitting someone over words denotes a simple mindedness.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

A devious person is subject to deviate. Deceit and trickery is your friend. If you strike someone from ambush or by surprise, you can stun him for a bit. Even a large person. If you are squared off with him he will not allow this and you may get the worst of the fight. Take any and all advantage of him when you can. There are uncountable ways in which to misdirect his attention for long enough to attack him.
    Violence has it's place in life. When all else fails, when reason is pushed aside, violence will decide the outcome of any conflict. Usually, the one that is in possession of the most violence will win.
    Jackie Lee

I've never heard of this guy before. Does he have any qualifications?