Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wearing Gloves For What ?

Wearing Gloves For What ?

Since I do not find much discussed of the question in mind, so I might start a thread of my own. In sparring exercise, I have long believed that wearing gloves is more for protection of the opponent rather than our hands. MA students quite often have trained one kind or more hard Qi work for attack and self-protection. So that includes our fingers, knuckes and hands in overall. Therefore when a student is ready to go into free fight training, he usually is up to some level of hard Qi work training. But for safety, they do wear gloves and other protection gears during the exercise. Lately, I have learnt from a TV show that wearing gloves is more for protecting our hands. It does not protect the opponent being struck much. The concussion effect is about the same as without gloves on. I have not changed my view on the matter yet.

So what is your view on the question ?

Wish you all have a healthy and prosperous Year of the Dragon.

KC
    Hong Kong
    Last edited by SteveLau; 01-23-2012 at 07:09 PM.

I haven't started san da yet, but the school I am a part of spars with no protective equipment whatsoever. Just as all Shaolin practitioners did in the past. However control of ones own body is also practiced so if a strike does end up getting through the guard that speedy White Snake Shoots Venom to the throat or eyes will tend to stop an inch or two away from it's target.

I haven't heard any stories of accidental eye gouging or throat maulings yet.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    [vomit]

wait for it

[/vomit]
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    Wearing gear goes beyond protection. When u spar with gear on you can put force behind your shots. It is for protection but has many other perks. You can train close to full on and not hurt each other.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

It's a trade-off.
    No gloves = more broken hands, more cuts (ie more "bloodbath nights"), more broken noses, and in general, more surface damage.

Gloves = an ability to punch harder, longer, at harder targets; in general, more concussive damage.

There's a reason punching in most traditional martial arts looks different than modern boxing.
    There's a reason punching in most traditional martial arts looks a lot more like bare-knuckle boxing.

You're not going to throw 100 full-power head punches each round at a bony skull without hand protection, because you're more likely to break your hands.

Furthermore, concussive damage takes a much longer time to show its effects. Boxers don't usually get punchy until much later in their life, after thousands of rounds of contact. Unfortunately, though, concussive brain damage is irreversible, and can lead to death.

In training, the goal is longevity. So we attempt to use gloves to minimize the surface damage, but limit the contact (in training) in order to minimize the concussive damage. But that too is a double-edged sword, because the contact needs to be hard enough to be realistic. That's why harder levels of contact are used sparingly; usually more so in the early stages of training, to teach awareness. Once you know what you're doing, you can make the harder sessions more infrequent.

Also, one and two-step sparring methods are often used to keep the sparring focused and purposeful. Sparring full out is a very inefficient way to actually improve skill. The higher the level of contact; the more gross-motor the movement, and the less the refinement of skills. You only have so much of your body to spend, so better make every little bit count.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

It is mostly to protect the hands (MMA gloves). Boxing gloves do have a certain amount of padding that makes knockouts a bit rarer. It also stops your face becoming all cut and stuff.

Not wearing gloves in sparring sounds quite stupid IMO.

Gentlemen, thanks for your input. So far, Pork Chop's view is the best and very detail. I largely agree with his view. Yes, if we want to acquire full range of fight skill, we eventually need to wear some protective gears. That include gloves. And in real fight or training, we do hold back sometimes. It is partly because of ethical reason and also technical reason. For example, we would like to conserve our energy, and we also do not want to hurt our striking tools. But Pork Chop's post has not answered my original question. My view on the question has not changed yet - gloves are more to protect the opponent than our hands.

KC
    Hong Kong

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLau View Post
    Gentlemen, thanks for your input. So far, Pork Chop's view is the best and very detail. I largely agree with his view. Yes, if we want to acquire full range of fight skill, we eventually need to wear some protective gears. That include gloves. And in real fight or training, we do hold back sometimes. It is partly because of ethical reason and also technical reason. For example, we would like to conserve our energy, and we also do not want to hurt our striking tools. But Pork Chop's post has not answered my original question. My view on the question has not changed yet - gloves are more to protect the opponent than our hands.

KC
    Hong Kong
    Well do you want to knock your training partner out? Or give them black eyes all the time?

KC
    Hong Kong
    old style boxing with bare knuckles used to last up to 100 rounds, old school Vale tudo didnt see many knock outs, UFC saw a large increase in KOs after gloves were allowed (which is ironic because they were brought in for fighter protection lol) , those are simple facts easily googled, the facts are gloves allow you to hit harder and more often, thus they are for your protection

It is NOT a case of either/or gentlemen.
    Gloves do BOTH.
    The protect your hands which allows you to hit harder and more often.
    The protect your sparring partner and to a more limited extent, your opponent because they limit superficial lacerations.
    The concussive effect is greater because most people do tend to hold back a bit with bare hands when, after the first few shots when the adrenaline starts to wear off, they realize that hitting the head ( and elbows in the case of missed body shots) of their opponents hurts.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Kung Fu is good for you.

Wearing Pants For What ?

I have learnt from a TV show
    Learn a lot from TV shows, do we? Well, I guess that's better than learning from a forum.

I've broken both wrists and my right thumb in fights without gloves. That was when I was young and stupid. While some injury is inevitable during training, minimization of injury is always in your best interest. Always wear protection.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Also, it doesn't matter how much hard qi gong or iron hand you may have trained, your hands are still flesh and bone. You may condition them, but they can still be injured, esp. if your hand is blocked by an elbow, you hit wrong, etc.

**oops, Sanjuro already mentioned some of this.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 01-24-2012 at 08:27 PM.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    Also, it doesn't matter how much hard qi gong or iron hand you may have trained, your hands are still flesh and bone. You may condition them, but they can still be injured, esp. if your hand is blocked by an elbow, you hit wrong, etc.
    agree. protection is always your best bet when training.
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post

I've broken both wrists and my right thumb in fights without gloves.
    Poor dear!

Well, what I had in when I asked the original question is a general situation. That the pyschological and mentality of the fighters is not considered. Just in general, whether gloves tend to protect our hands more or the opponent being struck more? That means I do not consider whether the fighters tend to fight with more power with gloves on. Though it is a good observation to know. Any more input from other forum members?