Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wearing Gloves For What ?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLau View Post
    Poor dear!

Well, what I had in when I asked the original question is a general situation. That the pyschological and mentality of the fighters is not considered. Just in general, whether gloves tend to protect our hands more or the opponent being struck more? That means I do not consider whether the fighters tend to fight with more power with gloves on. Though it is a good observation to know. Any more input from other forum members?
    your question has been answered, if you dont like the answer just stop posting, no point in keeping askign it in the hope you get the reply you want

My group wears gloves for sparring because it is less likely that we will cut or bruise a training partner. We never wear gloves for bag training.
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

Double check the posts made by other people shows that my question has indeed been answered by only one post.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    The protect your hands which allows you to hit harder and more often.
    The protect your sparring partner and to a more limited extent, your opponent because they limit superficial lacerations.
    by Sanjuro Ronin

Most of other posts in this thread talk about what happen during fight with and without gloves on. But my question asked what is the intention of having gloves on. Sometimes, what we intend does not turn out to be what happen later on. So what Ronin said is that gloves are intended to protect both our hands and the opponent, and to protect the former more. I figure that his reasoning is that the immediate goal of fight (real or training) is to win. Therefore, we should care about protecting ourself more. On the other hand, my view is based on what often happen during fight. The person got struck is more likely got hurt and more seriously hurt than the striker. Coincidentally, his view is the opposite of mine. Well, as a matter of fact, it is OK for others' view different from mine. As long as they are all backed up by valid reasons.

P.S. the discussion explains why gloves for professional tournament are designed different from those for training.

KC
    Hong Kong
    Last edited by SteveLau; 01-28-2012 at 11:32 PM.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA

you got answered multiple times

you're trying to rehash a really old traditional vs. sport argument.

from

http://thesaurus.com/browse/vomit

Part of Speech:

verb

Definition:

disgorge

Synonyms:

be seasick, be sick, bring up*, dry heave, eject, emit, expel, gag, heave, hurl, puke, regurgitate, retch, ruminate, spew, spit up, throw up, upchuck
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're trying to rehash a really old traditional vs. sport argument.

from

http://thesaurus.com/browse/vomit
    My, you really do have a strange fascination with....regurgitation, don't you?

Anyway.

I don't think that gloves or equipment are necessary because in a sparring environment you and your partner should be helping each other develop combat skills and perfect control over your bodies. Instead mostly sparring nowadays is just trying to take the other guys head off.

Quote Originally Posted by Neeros View Post
    My, you really do have a strange fascination with....regurgitation, don't you?

Anyway.

I don't think that gloves or equipment are necessary because in a sparring environment you and your partner should be helping each other develop combat skills and perfect control over your bodies. Instead mostly sparring nowadays is just trying to take the other guys head off.
    see, all those points should not be mutually exclusive.

it's a non debatable point...if you think it is...you're wrong
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

see, all those points should not be mutually exclusive.

it's a non debatable point...if you think it is...you're wrong
    *Shrugs*

oh, and my fascination with regurgitation is not nearly the fetish it is around here.

btw, Jamieson, that was funny

You shouldn't "win" in sparring and you shouldn't "take the other guy's head off" either.

What you should do is deliver techniques as realistically and safely as possible in a manner that benefits both attacker and defender.

The purpose of protective equipment is to ensure the safety of both attacker and defender; I'm sorry if I didn't make that clear enough in my initial post.

Because you guys are so fond of tossing brash generalizations, I'll toss one back at you: one of the big weaknesses in the tcma crowd is the belief that "if I can tap you, I can hurt you". About 99% of the "scoring" in sticky hands exercises wouldn't hurt a flea.

If you can throw a technique at a speed approaching actual, with no protective gear, and have 100% certainty that nobody's going to get injured, then you should probably re-evaluate the effectiveness of that technique. If there is never any speed behind the technique, I would question whether any realistic defensive skill was being developed.

Any mma guy can tell you that defending against big gloves is easier than defending against smaller gloves, and defending against bare knuckle is harder still.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

heh nice.

Well of course nothing is 100% certain, that is what Jow and remedial Qigong are for.

Well, just to counter that, techniques that can cause lots of problems on the receiving end, eye gouges, tiger claws to the groin, etc basically vital point strikes can be trained safely in a light-to-no contact sparring environment. Even so, strikes and kicks to the body and head can be pulled just enough to simulate a devastating strike as well. The health of your friends does not need to be risked to train combat efficiency. With correct intent sparring can be effective, and safe. It's easy to test force without giving your friends internal injuries.

*Shrugs* A major goal in my training is to eventually do full contact spars with other styles, and enter full contact tournaments, so I guess I will see the effectiveness of my system then. Until then I am just going to train hard how my Sifu teaches me and enjoy all the auxiliary benefits.

hmmm...i don't think i know of any full contact tournaments allowing eye gouges or 'tiger claws to the groin'.

i mean...are you serious????

oh, wait...maybe you mean this tournament:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0W1ym3yggR4

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    Well, just to counter that, techniques that can cause lots of problems on the receiving end, eye gouges, tiger claws to the groin, etc basically vital point strikes can be trained safely in a light-to-no contact sparring environment. Even so, strikes and kicks to the body and head can be pulled just enough to simulate a devastating strike as well. The health of your friends does not need to be risked to train combat efficiency. With correct intent sparring can be effective, and safe. It's easy to test force without giving your friends internal injuries.

*Shrugs* A major goal in my training is to eventually do full contact spars with other styles, and enter full contact tournaments, so I guess I will see the effectiveness of my system then. Until then I am just going to train hard how my Sifu teaches me and enjoy all the auxiliary benefits.
    my thoughts, how can you train something like throat strikes, groin, eye, if you never do it in full force? Anything and everything can work right if the situation alllows for it. But I think you are missing the point of what most said here. Protective gloves are used for testing power limits. You can't really test "deadly" strikes on someone without hurting them in full motion or resistance. Gloves allow for strikes that have force behind them, most times punching and kicking. The arguement for the "realz deadlies" has been done to death. To many factors involved that make them low percentage techniques. I'm not going to state that they do not work, but training them is another animal all together. Just tip tapping around while sparring and throwing these techniques does not tell you how much power is needed to actually pull them off.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

hmmm...i don't think i know of any full contact tournaments allowing eye gouges or 'tiger claws to the groin'.

i mean...are you serious????

oh, wait...maybe you mean this tournament:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0W1ym3yggR4
    lol! No you misunderstand. I was talking about being able to safely train applications that one would use in life or death situations. As well as safely training other less damaging techniques, strikes, kicks, chin-na, etc.

As for knowing whether you are effective with these techniques.

my thoughts, how can you train something like throat strikes, groin, eye, if you never do it in full force? Anything and everything can work right if the situation alllows for it. But I think you are missing the point of what most said here. Protective gloves are used for testing power limits. You can't really test "deadly" strikes on someone without hurting them in full motion or resistance. Gloves allow for strikes that have force behind them, most times punching and kicking. The arguement for the "realz deadlies" has been done to death. To many factors involved that make them low percentage techniques. I'm not going to state that they do not work, but training them is another animal all together. Just tip tapping around while sparring and throwing these techniques does not tell you how much power is needed to actually pull them off.
    You need 3 things to pull off a technique. skills of combat application, skills of timing and spacing, etc, and force, internal or external. You build these skills through systematic drills, and force training, and then test with free sparring to see your strengths and weaknesses, etc.

If you can put your snake hand through an apple or a watermelon you can surely blind someone. I'll give you an experiment of tiger claw. Grab your own balls right now as hard as you can, lemme know how that goes.

Sparring is testing, its a testing of combat application, and skill, not just force. I am not only talking about "d34dly" techniques, but any technique. In the groin grabbing example though, if you do tiger claw training for a year or two, and you have also developed the skills to do as I said above and simulate an application like "monkey steals peach" it wouldn't be hard to put the two together and steal them peaches, even without tiger claw force training if you did the little experiment above(I would hope you didn't) it could be quite effective if executed fully.

But you are right, I am sure it has been done to death, I'm just sharing a more "traditional" training perspective by telling how we do it.

Plus honestly I don't have enough experience in Kung fu yet to really argue effectiveness of techniques, so I am withdrawing from this thread.

Time to train!

"Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win."
    - Sun Tzu

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    Not inciting a flame war, but u are still missing the point of testing power limits. Not only are u testing these limits with gloves, u are testing and training what happens if u miss the target with a fully committed strike. Lots of variables involved for sure. As for the tiger claw issue i will say this, u are going to use this technique in grappling range. Learn clinch work and grappling techniques for better use of your time than training tiger claws. Thats just my opinion.
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

How does one train the "deadly"?
    Actually it is quite simple and they way it has always been trained.
    It is called "carryover".
    An example would be the tiger claw, since it was mentioned.
    While one can't "rip out throats and eyes" while sparring, one can nevertheless grab the throat/neck and with protect googles the eyes can be a target.
    What MUST be done however, is the proper conditoning of the tiger claw, which few seem to do by the way.
    A friend of mine is an ideal tiger clawist, he can bend wrenches and rib cards and was working on "rolling up" frying pans, he has freakish grip strength and there is no need to imagine what he can do to a person's throat IF he gets it PROPERLY and that is what sparring is far, to learn how to GET THERE properly.
    Samething goes for eye strikes and gouges and groin attacks.
    Anyone that has every fought for real ( street or limited rules or even just plain old full contact) knows that groin attacks are highly overrated as fight finishers with a few exceptions ( kneeing someone in the groin multiple times like one is "laying out carpet" usually gets the job done for example).
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !