Quote Originally Posted by PM View Post
I personaly prefer other exercises than BP (one arm pushup, military press) - BP was included because it gives you the biggest bang for your buck for your upper body strength. BUT (and here is the catch) - not the bodybuilding BP, and not following bodybuilding program. No manboobs.

Correct BP is a full body lift if you know how to do it properly. Of course, without the DL power, flexible hip flexors and the ability to transfer the power form the ground up through core it is useless.

My guys do mainly BP, DL and Full Contact Twist with barbell as the main barbell "Easy Strength" program, with period of Zercher squats instead of DLs. Backsquat has its value, but especially competitive fighter do not want to gain weight (which will exactly happen with BSQ). That is why.

Last but not least - I am talking about strength training. Conditioning is the other important part of the coin, bit it is not what I mean right now guys.
This thread isn't the place for this discussion, but I don't agree with you on much of what you said.
In the 30+ years I have done strength training, my experience has lead me to believe that what you have said is not typical and, if I may say so, misinformed.
EX: Back squats do NOT lead to increase in weight gain, no exercise does directly lead to weight gain. It is the protocols and diets that some follow that may lead to weight gain.
Just saying.