Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bodybuilding makes you slow and...

Quote Originally Posted by SavvySavage View Post
    Truth be told I wouldn't fuk with a guy who was popping out of his shirt no matter how slow he may or may not be. I've see power lifters and body builders at gyms. They are both scary looking in their own way. I'm too puny to body build so I focus on getting stronger.
    That my friend is really the heart of the matter...size gets respect. We are visual creatures, our eyes effect our judgement...kind of a risk assessment. Fear, common sense, or intimidation/aggression wins more fights in the real world that skill set. Its the mental aspect of the pre fight ritual. The fight or lack of one is decided by the biggest dog principle...certainly not in all instances but the majority of the time, in my opinion. There are other kinds of visual cues that come into play ie eye contact, facial expressions, posture, movement etc that determine if there will be a fight.

I think this is overlooked often...the indicators of impending assault and how to recognize them. Its one of the things since I've started working on a psych ward that I've picked up on and can usually tell within a few seconds if there will be a physical confrontation or not.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Hammer View Post
    That my friend is really the heart of the matter...size gets respect. We are visual creatures, our eyes effect our judgement...kind of a risk assessment. Fear, common sense, or intimidation/aggression wins more fights in the real world that skill set. Its the mental aspect of the pre fight ritual. The fight or lack of one is decided by the biggest dog principle...certainly not in all instances but the majority of the time, in my opinion. There are other kinds of visual cues that come into play ie eye contact, facial expressions, posture, movement etc that determine if there will be a fight.

I think this is overlooked often...the indicators of impending assault and how to recognize them. Its one of the things since I've started working on a psych ward that I've picked up on and can usually tell within a few seconds if there will be a physical confrontation or not.
    I agree. I work with the mentally disabled and this is what I've noticed. If you puff your chest out, make eye contact, act somewhat dominant, they won't mess with you. But if you come in on the first day with your Clark Kent glasses, looking tired, looking nervous, then they won't respect you. If you're a big mofo they won't screw with you at all.

That's just the men. The mentally disabled women I've worked with are a totally different story. They attacked men, women, big, small.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I agree. I've worked with many mentally/emotionally disabled women.
    Wait, is that the same as dating?
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

These threads make my head hurt.

Let clarify the nonsense that probably needs to be clarified based on how these threads always go:
    • Muscle size has no bearing on how fast or slow you are. Thinking otherwise is BS propagated by TMA'ists in the 50's who didn't know the first thing about anatomy or physiology.
    • All pro BBers use steroids.
    • Most pro athletes use steroids. Why? Because they have to in order to stay competitive. If your competition who is genetically gifted is using steroids, then you being genetically gifted is not enough; you have to use enhancement. Don't forget that pros have access to the best masking agents, too. They pass drug tests all the time. I really don't care what you read in the magazines or what your favorite athlete says in a press conference. Talk to people in the industry instead.
    • All else being equal, the stronger guy wins.
    • Size and strength can make up for lack of technique.
    • Technique can make up for lack of size and strength.
    • Be very afraid of the guy who is big, strong, and skilled.
    • Skinny TMA guys (because it's always skinny TMA guys) who talk crap about big muscular guys' fighting prowess have never trained hard or realistically against resisting opponents. 30 seconds in a real gym will change this erroneous belief.
    • "Big muscles are just for show" is grossly overestimated and over-used by TMA instructors, their brainwashed students, and other non-fighters. That big guy is also probably stronger than you.
    • Increasing the distance you can run doesn't give you more endurance for fighting.
    • People who blow their loads over "functional training" are missing a good portion of the puzzle.
    • People who only train bodybuilding are also missing a good portion of the puzzle.
    • You can get stronger (increasing the maximal amount of work your muscles can do as measured by increasing 1RMs) without gaining much size, if you train a specific way.
    • Strength is a function of nervous system efficiency. All else being equal, a bigger muscle has more potential, but isn't necessarily stronger. There are 140 pound powerlifters with higher 1RMs than 220 pound bodybuilders. But the strongest people in the world on an absolute scale are big people.
    • Your workout progress is a function of your diet, your training routine, and your GENETICS. What works for one person might not work for another.
    • There's no such thing as "toning" and high reps are only good for developing endurance in that exercise.

Sanjuro_ronin, have I covered them all?
    Last edited by IronFist; 01-31-2012 at 07:50 PM.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

You have girl arms.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

I know

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post

Let clarify the nonsense that probably needs to be clarified based on how these threads always go:
    • Muscle size has no bearing on how fast or slow you are. Thinking otherwise is BS propagated by TMA'ists in the 50's who didn't know the first thing about anatomy or physiology.
    • Most pro athletes use steroids. Why? Because they have to in order to stay competitive. If your competition who is genetically gifted is using steroids, then you being genetically gifted is not enough; you have to use enhancement. Don't forget that pros have access to the best masking agents, too. They pass drug tests all the time. I really don't care what you read in the magazines or what your favorite athlete says in a press conference. Talk to people in the industry instead.
    • Skinny TMA guys (because it's always skinny TMA guys) who talk crap about big muscular guys' fighting prowess have never trained hard or realistically against resisting opponents. 30 seconds in a real gym will change this erroneous belief.
    • "Big muscles are just for show" is grossly overestimated and over-used by TMA instructors, their brainwashed students, and other non-fighters. That big guy is also probably stronger than you.
    • Increasing the distance you can run doesn't give you more endurance for fighting.
    • People who blow their loads over "functional training" are missing a good portion of the puzzle.
    • People who only train bodybuilding are also missing a good portion of the puzzle.
    • You can get stronger (increasing the maximal amount of work your muscles can do as measured by increasing 1RMs) without gaining much size, if you train a specific way.
    • Strength is a function of nervous system efficiency. All else being equal, a bigger muscle has more potential, but isn't necessarily stronger. There are 140 pound powerlifters with higher 1RMs than 220 pound bodybuilders. But the strongest people in the world on an absolute scale are big people.
    • Your workout progress is a function of your diet, your training routine, and your GENETICS. What works for one person might not work for another.
    • There's no such thing as "toning" and high reps are only good for developing endurance in that exercise.

You have beaten the internet !
    Here is your prize:

Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    After that muddled word soup the only thing I'm clear on are the stretch marks.

It's not the years, it's the miles.

Fan of airbrushing are you?

I have no problem with stretch marks.

Bloated bullet lists are another story. . .
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    This is not a veiled request for compliments

The short story is I did 325# for one set of 1 rep.

1) Does this sound gifted, or just lucky?

1. People that don't like body building don't have much of a body to show.

2. people who don't like forms, don't know how to do any properly.

3. People that say lifting weights is no good for you, can't lift much weight and aren't brute strong.

There, that about covers it right? Except for TT's stable of crazy women he's experienced. I can't speak to that as I used to cut the loonies loose early on...
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    I have no problem with stretch marks.

Bloated bullet lists are another story. . .
    I have no idea what that is and I don't think I want to know !

Yuan Herong

I don't care what any of you say. Yuan Herong could crush us all between those thighs.

Totally ripped female Chinese bodybuilder is the real-life Chun Li and a doctor
    She's posted photos in her wedding dress and birthday suit
    by Alex Linder October 25, 2019 in News

AChinese woman has attracted some attention online recently with pictures of her incredible physique drawing her comparisons to the real-life Chun Li of Street Fighter fame.

Yuan Herong has more than 64,000 followers on Instagram and 110,000 on Weibo where she posts photos and videos showing off her totally ripped bod.

While her followers naturally presumed that the 30-year-old was some sort of fitness trainer, she has corrected this misperception, explaining that she is in fact a doctor and part-time model.

Though those occupations may seem like enough to keep one busy. Yuan evidently also finds time to work quite a bit and also participate in bodybuilding competitions.

Potential suitors were disappointed earlier this month when Yuan posted photos and videos of herself trying on her wedding dress.

Though, they were presumably able to look past their disappointment later in the month when Yuan posted some artistic nude shots.

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

More on Yuan Herong

Will she need her own indie thread soon?

Traditional Chinese medicine doctor, 30, stuns millions after showing off her unbelievably ripped physique
    Yuan Herong from China's Qingdao has always dreamt of being a Kung Fu fighter
    But her parents, both doctors, told her to go to medical school for a stable career
    She began gym training after meeting a professional bodybuilder through work
    Her gruelling workouts earned her an incredibly toned body and throngs of fans
    By TRACY YOU FOR MAILONLINE
    PUBLISHED: 06:42 EDT, 29 October 2019 | UPDATED: 13:16 EDT, 29 October 2019

A traditional Chinese medicine practitioner has soared to fame after revealing what's underneath her white coat: her incredibly toned muscles.

Fitness fanatic Yuan Herong, 30, started exercising two years ago because she wanted to 'look stronger'.

With the simple goal in mind, she hits the gym five times a week come rain or shine, and her gruelling workouts have earned her an unbelievably ripped physique and hundreds of thousands of followers on social media.

Physician Yuan Herong (pictured) has amazed the internet after showing off her astonishing body on social media platforms. Ms Yuan, 30, comes from the Chinese city of Qingdao

The medics says she has always been a fan of sports since she was a child, particularly Chinese Kung Fu, but her parents wanted her to go to medical school in order to have a stable career

At the beginning, Ms Yuan started to exercise because she wanted herself to 'look stronger', but the fitness fanatic, who works at a clinic in eastern China, now competes nationally

According to the medical worker, she doesn't need to work shifts, therefore she is able to exercise in the evening after work.
    She says she goes to the gym four to five times a week

Ms Yuan works as a physician in a traditional Chinese medicine clinic in the city of Qingdao in eastern China's Shandong Province.

She says she has always been a fan of sports since childhood, particularly Chinese Kung Fu, but her parents wanted her to have a stable career.

'Both my parents are doctors. At first, I didn't really want to study traditional Chinese medicine, I liked martial arts,' Ms Yuan told MailOnline.

'My parents told me not to give up my medical studies because they said it was a career that could benefit me for all my life,' the medic added.

Initially Ms Yuan took yoga class, but she soon realised it couldn't help her grow muscles which was her goal at the time, so she hired a private instructor for a year to give her training
    continued next post
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Continued from previous post

Her fate changed when she met Zhang Wei, a professional bodybuilder, through work. Mr Zhang encouraged her to compete in bodybuilding contest and trained her systematically

Ms Yuan followed her parents' advice and pursued an academic route until she obtained a doctor's degree.

But when her school days were over, the keen sports lover finally decided to listen to her own heart. She began to spend more and more time in the gym.

'I started by taking up yoga class, such as pilates, but then I realised workouts like these couldn't really help me grow muscles, so I hired a private instructor to give me training.'

Ms Yuan started to take up bodybuilding after she met Zhang Wei, a professional bodybuilder, through work.

Ms Yuan is pictured displaying her muscles in a national competition held by the Chinese Bodybuilding Association last month in Qingdao, the provincial capital of Shandong

The determined gym-goer tasted success when she won the second place of the competition

Speaking of future, Ms Yuan said she wanted to learn martial arts through a Kung Fu master

Ms Yuan is seen showing off her Chinese Kung Fu moves on stage. 'After I make some money, I will use it to hire a master and learn martial arts. I have never given up my martial arts dream'

Mr Zhang encouraged her to compete in bodybuilding contest and designed a training system for her.

'Because I am a traditional Chinese medicine practitioner, I don't need to work shifts. Therefore I get to go to the gym at 5:30pm when I finish work. I go there four to five times a week no matter it rains or not,' Ms Yuan said.

'I have thought of giving up. Training is a tough, painful, tiring and lonely process.

'But when I saw my muscles becoming more and more toned, I felt it was worth it,' said Ms Yuan who also does modelling on the side.

Last month, the determined gym-goer tasted success when she won the second place of women's Class-A competition in a national championship held by the Chinese Bodybuilding Association.

Yet, Ms Yuan has never given up her dream of becoming a Kung Fu fighter.

Speaking of future, Ms Yuan said she wanted to learn martial arts.

'After I make some money, I will use it to hire a master and learn martial arts. I have never given up my martial arts dream,' she said.
    THREADS
    Bodybuilding makes you slow and...
    Looking for a Good Chinese Doctor
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips