Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Reason for bridge

The Reason for bridge

1.time stamp 0.06 His strike gets blocked!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRkLo...eature=related

When this guy threw the first strike the little guy blocked his punched.

This was instinct. So with WC you train to redirect your opponents bridge so you can hit him. Had he known wing chun he could have handle ole boy by himself with out his partna jumping in.

The big guy knock out blow was stop by a simple bil sau

2.time stamp 1.01-1.16 we see a bong sau and pak sau and defend and attack simultaneously by a street fighter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZYuD...eature=related

When the guy runs up we see the big black employ some basic WC principles. he bongs and pak saus the lil guys strikes. He then pak da the little guy strikes when the little guy overcommitts. His friend jumps him when he sees him go down and the big black guy defends and strike simultaneously sending the other guy to the ground in an instant. He gets up trying throw some kicks but realizes he is out of his league.

time stamp 1.06-1.17 the dark skin guy with the white shirt uses chi sau skills and controls the neck to create an opening to land hits...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r-bl...80689FFB235A0B

Those who usually win fights do so by aggressively sticking to their opponent while controlling them to hit. This is something you see in this video. Timing is also very important. Look how the guy with the white shirt switches from bridging one combatant to the next foe that comes into his centerline. Even though this guy is clearly not doing WC. The skills honed from street fighting clearly show in this vid. The priciples practiced in WC come from what works in street fighting. When you see people fight in the street an win with these principles why doesn't more people doing WC use them?

time stamp 0.43-1.04 we see the black guy using controlling techniques while hitting his opponent. He controls his structure to create openings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWWT3...eature=related

Controlling and trapping apart of WC but most dont practice them outside of chi sau!
    Last edited by Yoshiyahu; 01-26-2012 at 06:04 PM.
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Question

Is bridging the same as sticking?

Is sticking always done with a bridge?
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post

You can sticky any part of your body with any part of your opponent's body. You can only build leg bridge and arm bridge. Sticking doesn't require bridge, but bridge will require sticking.

Again, hooking is better than sticking.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    You can sticky any part of your body with any part of your opponent's body. You can only build leg bridge and arm bridge. Sticking doesn't require bridge, but bridge will require sticking.

Define hooking!!!

Blog Entries
    Define hooking!!!
    It takes no effort to break a sticking. It will take some effort to break a hooking.

- wrist grab,
    - elbow grab,
    - under hook,
    - over hook,
    - head lock,
    - waist hold,
    - bear hug,
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 02-01-2012 at 12:34 PM.

oooh i see you know the art of hoooking gung fu too...lol....

It takes no effort to break a sticking. It will take some effort to break a hooking.

- wrist grab,
    - elbow grab,
    - under hook,
    - over hook,
    - head lock,
    - waist hold,
    - bear hug,

Didn't get enough interest from your original post?

Simple answers - No, yes.
    - Bridging is about engagement.
    - Sticking is a part of how you deal with a bridge.
    How can you stick without a bridge? there is nothing to stick to if you are not connected to anything. what use does tape or glue have if it only has one thing to stick too?

But really, you've asked this on another thread already. How many threads are you going to start that are the same subject with the same questions?
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Thanks for sharing your view poine...I appreactiate it!!!

very good opinion indeed!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    Didn't get enough interest from your original post?

Simple answers - No, yes.
    - Bridging is about engagement.
    - Sticking is a part of how you deal with a bridge.
    How can you stick without a bridge? there is nothing to stick to if you are not connected to anything. what use does tape or glue have if it only has one thing to stick too?

But really, you've asked this on another thread already. How many threads are you going to start that are the same subject with the same questions?

Thanks for sharing your view poine...I appreactiate it!!!
    very good opinion indeed!!!
    It's the same opinion I gave on the other thread which you didn't agree with. did you have a change of mind on this one because it's another thread or something?
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Why do you believe that you can only bridge with arms and legs? IMO A bridge is any link between me and my opponent, that could be any part of my or their body, or for that matter any inanimate object (you can bridge with the weapons for example) that connects the two of us.
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

Is this thread a bit of a joke?

Quote Originally Posted by Chadderz View Post
    Is this thread a bit of a joke?
    More than a bit

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wingchunIan View Post
    Why do you believe that you can only bridge with arms and legs? IMO A bridge is any link between me and my opponent, that could be any part of my or their body, or for that matter any inanimate object (you can bridge with the weapons for example) that connects the two of us.
    Yes, you can always bridge with weapon. You can also bridge with your body, head, ... but I won't call that bridge. It depends on how you want to define "bridge". IMO, bridge is a link between 2 bodies while there is still a space in between. If body touches body, there won't be any space in between.

oooh i see you know the art of hoooking gung fu too...lol....
    The art of hooking:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puBGH3Uh4qU
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 02-03-2012 at 11:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    It's the same opinion I gave on the other thread which you didn't agree with. did you have a change of mind on this one because it's another thread or something?
    OOh know Im not agreeing with you in the least bit....Just respecting your opinion...

Everyone does something different or learns different. what works for you may not work for me...an vice versa...

OOh know Im not agreeing with you in the least bit....Just respecting your opinion....
    Yet not respecting me enough to answer a single question I asked in that same post - just like a beggar, asking for everything for free and nothing to offer in return...

Everyone does something different or learns different. what works for you may not work for me...an vice versa...
    Very true. But then you also think Stan and his clips are a good example of what works (and what you do). So I have a hard time thinking anything you do would work - 'specially against anyone outside of the type of scrubs seen in his clips.