Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another Title Shot.

i think evans will have a hard time shooting in and will get beat all to hell trying after he realizes that he is no match for jones on his feet. i think evans has to take it down and grind a decision to win. either way, i think his chances are slim. but hey, he could do it, we'll see i spose.

as for davis and evans, another boring decision. catch a kick, take down, wet carpet. when was the last time rashad did anything impressive. my mind is blank...

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    Jones has a wrestling background as well. Thats why i say its going to be a tougher fight for evans, there wrestling abilities are probably going to cancel out one another and it will turn into a standup fight. Thats why i think evans is in for a really hard fight.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    Just to play devil's advocate, what makes you think they aren't just "pro wrestler(s) reading a script?"

Floyd Mayweather had almost zero ability to get people to watch his fights until he started playing the role of the heel.

Rashad's new coach, Mike Van Arsdale had a quote in a recent interview to the effect that you can't get people interested in a fight if you just come out respectfully; like a good sportsman, and say you hope it will be a great fight.

Unfortunately the masses aren't true fight fans. They don't really know what they're watching unless it's a spectacular KO. They don't really give a sh!t unless there's some drama involved. The more people that come, the more money the fighters make. In the end, the athletes are not doing this sport for their health; they want to get paid & provide for their families.
    I wouldn't agree with that, GPS and Couture built careers around it. One of the reasons many fans have liked them. They never got into all the BS.

I don't like how the UFC tries to market the fights like it was WWE. It will always keep it at cheap entertainment for the uneducated masses (of the sport, not necessarily just dumb people).
    "God gave you a brain, and it annoys Him greatly when you choose not to use it."

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin73 View Post
    I don't like how the UFC tries to market the fights like it was WWE. It will always keep it at cheap entertainment for the uneducated masses (of the sport, not necessarily just dumb people).
    Preaching to the choir my friend.
    To your list, I would add Fedor, CroCop, Pat Barry, Rich Franklin, and Lyoto Machida as guys who have built their careers on not a lot of trash talk.

Unfortunately, for each one of those guys there's a Rampage, Tito Ortiz, Nick Diaz, Chael Sonnon, or Michael Bisping that feels the need to promote via trash talk.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin73 View Post
    I wouldn't agree with that, GPS and Couture built careers around it. One of the reasons many fans have liked them. They never got into all the BS.

I agree. If guys want to trash talk each other because they really don't like each other, fine. But I don't like how a lot of guys feel like they have to because it's a part of their job. The wrestling fans will show up whether you feed them a bit of extra crap or not cause in the end it is a real fight and people will always watch that.

A lot of guys are there for more than money. The money allows them to chase a dream that they wouldn't be able to do without the financial support. It's the people who are there for money and are willing to compromise for more money that are ruining the image of the sport. Combat sports should be noble, not trailer park fodder.
    Last edited by Syn7; 01-31-2012 at 05:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    Preaching to the choir my friend.
    To your list, I would add Fedor, CroCop, Pat Barry, Rich Franklin, and Lyoto Machida as guys who have built their careers on not a lot of trash talk.

Unfortunately, for each one of those guys there's a Rampage, Tito Ortiz, Nick Diaz, Chael Sonnon, or Michael Bisping that feels the need to promote via trash talk.
    Evans should be at the top of that list. The only time I have ever really heard him say anything nice about anyone is when he's talking about his camp. Otherwise he pretty much just talks about him self and whatever bad things he can think of about his opponent. It goes way past confidence. The guy has some serious self image issues.

Also, I don't think Nick Diaz really plays into it. I think he just doesn't have many nice things to say about anyone, anytime, anywhere. He seems more like a miserable pr!ck in general than somebody running a script like the others who most likely sit and write down all their clever lil ideas before camera time.
    Last edited by Syn7; 01-31-2012 at 05:30 PM.

I prefer the fighters who don't do the trash talking and just fight. However, trash talking is nothing new in the fight game. Muhammad Ali was probably the best at it; but even he got that schtick from pro wrestling, by trying to copy Gorgeous George. But at least Ali was entertaining at it...in fact, he was great at it. The trash talking done in MMA and boxing today is not fun or entertaining in any way; it's only boring, IMO.

I think Machida and Rampage were Jones"s two hardest opponents on paper , and it was easy for him, evans shoud get run through, apart from him and henderson there are really no viable oponents for Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I prefer the fighters who don't do the trash talking and just fight. However, trash talking is nothing new in the fight game. Muhammad Ali was probably the best at it; but even he got that schtick from pro wrestling, by trying to copy Gorgeous George. But at least Ali was entertaining at it...in fact, he was great at it. The trash talking done in MMA and boxing today is not fun or entertaining in any way; it's only boring, IMO.
    I don't mind a lil bullsh1ttin' here and there. Some cats just go too far and never have anything good to say about anyone except themselves and their crew.