Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brain injuries

How many punches can a guy take ?
    MSNBC article

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    More harmful than what? Boxing? No deadly intent? I'm reminded of Mike Tyson saying how he wanted to drive his opponents' nose bones up into their brains.

It's only TOMA that talk about "killing strikes". Though it's mostly talk and little delivery.
    No, more harmful than sparring, as in your last post before mine. Boxing, if a man goes down, the other guy goes to a neutral corner. In MMA when a man goes down the other guy jumps down on him and beats on his head while he is out cold. These are usually full power shots with absolutely no effort to defend or move. Also, boxers don't kick each other in the head.
    I can remember a while back when you couldn't turn on the tube without seeing MMA fighting or an add for such. It is pretty much done now and it no where near as popular with the public as it used to be. It will end up like boxing with a smaller following and then only when it is a couple of very well known fighters.
    Jackie Lee

I gave up hard sparring years ago, 1983. Realized when sparring with my sparring partner (him, kook su wan) after using a back mule kick that missed (at dusk, outside) that had I connected, things might not have looked good. He had missed work, and let go earlier on from being hamstrung by me, he was the superior fighter at the time, a VietNam Vet, Marine. Sports may/are hazardous to your health. What you are doing for "contact" may deep six the whole purpose of training which is to be prepared. Not good.
    Last edited by PalmStriker; 01-28-2012 at 05:51 PM.

I can remember a while back when you couldn't turn on the tube without seeing MMA fighting or an add for such. It is pretty much done now and it no where near as popular with the public as it used to be. It will end up like boxing with a smaller following and then only when it is a couple of very well known fighters.
    Boxing has a small following? OK.

If it does end up like you say ... I guess it will have followed a similar fate to Wing Chun.

And frankly, you are incorrect ... I was in Las Vegas last October/November while the UFC was on ... it was huge. I think your predictions indicate you own biases rather than recognition of facts. It may settle down at some stage but at the moment there is no sign of slowing down.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    Boxing has a small following? OK.

If it does end up like you say ... I guess it will have followed a similar fate to Wing Chun.

And frankly, you are incorrect ... I was in Las Vegas last October/November while the UFC was on ... it was huge. I think your predictions indicate you own biases rather than recognition of facts. It may settle down at some stage but at the moment there is no sign of slowing down.
    Growing up, boxing was on the tube every friday, and then there were the top bouts with contenders for the titles and such. Everyone loved boxing. That is not the case today. People still pay to see boxing in Vegas, but it is not even close to what it was at one time. MMA is starting to calm down too. I flipped my TV all night and have not seen any MMA adds or whatever. I used to not be able to do that. Wing Chun has never had a following. In fact, Until I found this forum I didn't know anyone else knew what it was. That is not a problem for me. I don't really care that it is so obscure. I sort of like it that way.
    No, once they put a stop to all the steriod use and such, MMA is not going to go any where it hasn't already been. It is actually boring, watching 3rd rate fighters. Professional wrestling, which we all know to be fake, is far more popular than MMA. Certainly far more intertaining.
    Jackie Lee