Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Then this happened. . .

Then this happened. . .

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mma-ca...142312772.html

CHICAGO -- The war is on between the UFC and Internet hackers.
    On Sunday, UFC.com was re-routed several times to the website UGnazi. The site's organizers, who White called terrorists several times during the "UFC on Fox 2" press conference, said the hacking of UFC.com is a result of the company's support of SOPA and PIPA. The wide-ranging bills are aimed at stopping online piracy.
    White lashed out at the hackers.

"Keep hacking our site, do it again. Do it tonight," said White. "These guys look like terrorists now and a bill that was about to die, is about to come back."
    The hacker taking credit for the UFC hit, @joshthgod, went a different route after the challenge, posting White's personal info, including a Social Security number, a list of residential addresses, a vehicle identification number and a personal phone number.
    That followed a tweet that said White is now the target.

"@danawhite We don't want your site anymore. We are going after YOU! Follow me for tonights exciting events! #ufc #sopa #acta #pipa,"

White said the hackers are only hurting their own cause by alerting politicians that there's a serious issue. He's willing to risk his own safety to stop the online pilfering.

"Is SOPA the perfect bill? No, it's not. The only thing that we're focused on is piracy. Piracy is stealing. If you walk into a store and you steal a gold watch, it's the same as stealing a pay-per-view. I don't care what your twisted, demented idea of stealing is," White said. "These kids who grew up on the Internet never had to pay for anything, so they don't think that you should have to."
    White closed by saying he's not afraid of the Internet, it's where cowards live.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    This is not a veiled request for compliments

The short story is I did 325# for one set of 1 rep.

1) Does this sound gifted, or just lucky?

lol funny ****
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Nice... I like how they brought it to him after the challenge rather than the site. He must have thought he was smarter than his attackers. Using the word terrorist like that is very irresponsible. If hackers like this are charged as terrorists that will be one more step to creating terror laws targeting all political dissidents. Very dangerous ground. White is clearly pi$sed off tho, you can really tell he's emotional about it. They have struck him where it hurts...... in his wallet. First they steal and distribute his property and then when he tries to stop it they target him specifically.

I have very mixed feelings about online piracy and access of information all together. We are walking a VERY fine line here. What happens in the next few years will have a huge impact on the next generation. This is a battle that needs to be fought and won, sooner rather than later.

It's not really about piracy, it's about control. We all know that, at least most of us.
    When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    not like Mr. White isn't getting his money or something.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by Yao Sing View Post
    It's not really about piracy, it's about control. We all know that, at least most of us.
    This time it's about money. Nothing more, nothing less. Sure, some of the more anal retentive statesmen may utilize the opportunity to move forward on an agenda about control, but the folks making noise are making noise because they are loosing money.

The sad part is that it isn't the starving artist or the semi successful artists that want these bills, it's the artists that are making 10's of millions of dollars anyways. They want more. They believe they deserve more. I question whether they deserve what they get anyways. Why should brittany spears live better than a search and rescue worker? This is a major flaw in capitalist systems. Doing good isn't rewarded as much as entertaining a nation of fat people!!!

In order to get the pay-per-view streaming online or up on a torrent site the next day someone has to foot the bill do they not? Somebody is buying the pay-per-view and then making it available to some "friends." In many ways I don't see a significant difference between that and one guy dropping $50 on a pay-per-view and inviting a whole bunch of people over, or better yet... a sports bar doing the same thing for whoever walks through the door.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenshiite View Post
    In many ways I don't see a significant difference between that and one guy dropping $50 on a pay-per-view and inviting a whole bunch of people over, or better yet... a sports bar doing the same thing for whoever walks through the door.
    The cost for bars to broadcast pay per views is much higher than for an individual doing the same thing from home; to the tune of an order of magnitude (at least).
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Like calling Anonymous 'cowards' will draw them out

Dana needs to think outside the cage. Cowards? Seriously? He certainly has his hands full with this and the FTC now.
    Anonymous hits out at martial arts group after 'cowards' taunt
    Dan Raywood
    January 31, 2012

The president of martial arts body the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) almost ‘did an HB Gary' last week when he called Anonymous "cowards".

Initially, president Dana White wrote a tweet to the Anonymous news feed ‘YourAnonNews' that accused the group of hiding "behind a screen name".

The hacktivists responded by breaching the UFC's official website and defacing it; White responded in turn by telling reporters at USA Today that the group should "keep hacking our site" and encouraged them to "do it again. Do it tonight".

He said: “You know what's happening? These guys look like terrorists now, and a bill that was about to die is about to come back. I'm not afraid of the internet. I love the Internet. It's fun to get on there and cruise around and stuff. I'm not afraid of you. You want to keep hacking our site, go for it. Watch what happens. You're hurting yourself.”

UFC parent Zuffa is a supporter of the US's proposed Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) and the Protect Intellectual Property Act (PIPA)

According to USA Today, the attack redirected the UFC.com domain to other sites multiple times, although servers that hold the company's data were not penetrated.

In a statement, the UFC said: “The UFC.com website was redirected by a criminal hacker to another website. The UFC website was quickly restored to the control of the UFC and there is no evidence suggesting that any confidential information belonging to the company or its customers was compromised.

“UFC representatives are continuing to investigate the matter and are working with law enforcement agents to prosecute those involved.”

Anonymous has also released personal information on White, including his social security number. Softpedia reported that S3rver.exe, who breached Sony Pictures, was one of those responsible for the defacement of UFC.com and UFC.tv.

The hacktivists told Softpedia that one of the two sites had at least 60 vulnerabilities, and that UFC.tv had XSS, BlindSQL Injection and other vulnerabilities. When asked about the reasons for hacking UFC, S3rver.exe cited Zuffa's president calling them terrorists. He said: "Standing up to those you deem to be weak may be at UFC's heart, and I am sure that there is little that scares their fighting machines. However in a cyber war, it is the keyboard, rather than the fist, that strikes the hardest blow and UFC can count themselves lucky for the moment, that no worse has been done."
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

http://www.mercurynews.com/portal/ne...92?_loopback=1

RICHMOND -- A Richmond police officer is facing criticism and anger Monday for a Twitter comment he made about Internet hackers.

Angry posts on the Facebook pages of the Richmond Police Department and the Contra Costa Times are criticizing the officer for his Jan. 26 tweet about a hacker attack on the Ultimate Fighting Championship website.

"Get those hacking (expletive). I'm a cop in the bay area CA. (sic) I would go at them with both guns!" Richmond police Sgt. Mike Rood wrote via Twitter to UFC President Dana White.
    The hacker group Anonymous and its supporters viewed the comment as a criminal threat, and called for the department to punish Rood.

"In his tweet, he expresses his desire to use firearms to deal with problematic people," several posters wrote on the Contra Costa Times' Facebook page, apparently copying a form letter. "I fear for the safety of the citizens of Richmond after seeing such irresponsible action displayed by one of its very own police officers."

Awwww man

That's the Bay Area for ya. Richmond PD
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by Zenshiite View Post
    In order to get the pay-per-view streaming online or up on a torrent site the next day someone has to foot the bill do they not? Somebody is buying the pay-per-view and then making it available to some "friends." In many ways I don't see a significant difference between that and one guy dropping $50 on a pay-per-view and inviting a whole bunch of people over, or better yet... a sports bar doing the same thing for whoever walks through the door.
    yeah but if you use torrents enough you will start to see that it's always the same people serving up the goods and there will be like 1000 seeders and another 3000 leechers.

so the difference is that when you throw a party you are showing it to a handful of people for free. same goes for the odd guy who tapes it and hands it to his friends later. but thousands of people will download that one torrent and there will be tons of guys doing this so thats thousands of people downloading off each of these guys.

so imagine that only 20,000 people illegally download the last UFC. thats a VERY VERY conservative number, i wouldn't be suprised if the real number was millions. but even if it was only 20,000, times that by 50 bucks a pop and you get a million dollars in bootlegs. Now of course all those people downloading wouldn't have bought it and are just doing it because it's free. But some would have paid and the real numbers add to real losses. BIG LOSSES. You can't argue with the statistics and the truth is that they do lose alot of money because of pirating.

Personally I feel they are overpaid even with the losses so i don't really care. i might drop 5 bucks cover to watch it at a pub and have some beers but i would never pay the full amount at home and i am too happy to download it the next day. and i don't lose any sleep over that.

I've just been streaming it live. I had a hell of a time watching it on my parents' 3G home service over Christmas, but I saw what I wanted to see. I wasn't going to ask them to drop $50 for the event and I couldn't afford it. I really don't think a pay-per-view is worth that cost. Especially with how random a night of fights can be.

I can't believe Dana White used the T(errorist) word.

"Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win."
    - Sun Tzu