Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Arguing Online

Respecccccc!!!!!!!!!! I bow to you, but only as an equal, let us vanquish the unworthy!
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

in truth if you photoshoped that, then i must bow to you as a master, because i only found mine....shhhh
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Stand back all, wenshu is on a nacho roll!

I'm not stooping to photoshop. We have a full-time professional graphic arts crew here and that just wouldn't be fair. So I'm just doing image searches. Strangely, if you search nacho ninjettes, many of the links send you right back to our forum.

I found some cool shirts at least.

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Oh. I found these too.

nachos uber alles.

wins any online argument
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    i bow to da masta!!! you win bro, dont hurt me

freakin cracked me up man

You really don't want to know the lengths I am willing to go to avoid working.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    This is not a veiled request for compliments

The short story is I did 325# for one set of 1 rep.

1) Does this sound gifted, or just lucky?

Oh, a teamster eh?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I'm not stooping to photoshop. We have a full-time professional graphic arts crew here and that just wouldn't be fair.
    I guess that would fall under a misappropriation of Nacho resources, huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    This is not a veiled request for compliments

The short story is I did 325# for one set of 1 rep.

1) Does this sound gifted, or just lucky?

Here on the forum, I like to fight fair.

However tempting, no photoshop for my nacho ninjettes.

Everywhere else is a different matter entirely.

I gotta stop now. I'm getting hungry.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by WingChunABQ View Post
    Gotta say, MA forums have lots and lots of piddle matches going on in them. I think we all know why:

http://www.thehighdefinite.com/2012/01/arguing-online/
    I don't think I have ever seen a forum that didn't have a fair share of bickering going on. Some more than others, especially when it's a site dedicated to topics that people have passion for. Like kung fu.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    The difference between "discussion" and "argument" is:

- In discussion, you express your opinion and others express their opinions. It's fine if you and others don't agree.
    - In argument, you think you are right and others are wrong. You want to force others to accept your opinion.
    There it is.......

There are a lot of people here who will quote you and respond to the first sentence and nothing more because they never actually read any further. They are too busy thinking about what they want to say to go and read what everybody else is saying.

These people aren't here for anyone's benefit aside from their own little ego's that for some pathetic reason need that validation of seeing somebody online say "Hey, you are absolutely right. Why didn't I think of that. Wow you're so smart. Here let me get on my knees and.....".

These kinds of people can only hide for so long. Eventually they expose their own weak needs.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Just like in MA practice, sparring is an important part of training. Our forum debates are exactly like sparring, only with words. Sure, a lot of it is 'dirty pool' style flaming as there's minimal rules governing our debates, but it's also training for real world arguments we might encounter. Just as you should spar with your body, you should spar with your philosophy. You should spar with your mind.

Occasionally we do get of an intelligent debate, usually in the subforums when the trolls aren't looking.
    i was taught 'An empty can makes the most noise' mentality. that we kung fu men should be men of action first. while i enjoy a good debate, i agree with YKW that there's a difference btwn a discussion and an argument.

but then i could just be an old stick in the mud and that i should just loosen up and have a little fun like how sanjuro ronin seems to be having....

Blog Entries
    孟子(Meng Zi) said, "I don't like to argue but sometime I just don't have choice." The funny thing is when he tried to explain that he was not arguing with you back then, he was arguing with you at this moment.

Sometime if people responds to your post, you ignore his post just try to avoid argument, you may be just too rude and ignore others opinions. If you are not careful, your response will be considered as "disagree with others and start your argument."

When someone doesn't agree with you, your respond to his disagreement, that's argument by definition.

I'll consider the following as "discussion" that A only expresses his opinion "once" and never response to other's disagreements. It's "rude' attitude IMO.

A: My opinion is ...
    B: You are wrong ...
    C: I disagree with you ...

I'll consider the following as "argument".

A: My opinion is ...
    B: You are wrong ...
    C: I disagree with you ...
    A: Why did you say that I was wrong?

A pure discussion (ignore all disagreements) is very difficult to have. How far are you willing to go (response to other's disagreement) is difficult to adjust.