Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Arguing Online

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    孟子(Meng Zi) said, "I don't like to argue but sometime I just don't have choice." The funny thing is when he tried to explain that he was not arguing with you back then, he was arguing with you at this moment.

Sometime if people responds to your post, you ignore his post just try to avoid argument, you may be just too rude and ignore others opinions. If you are not careful, your response will be considered as "disagree with others and start your argument."

When someone doesn't agree with you, your respond to his disagreement, that's argument by definition.

I'll consider the following as "discussion" that A only expresses his opinion "once" and never response to other's disagreements. It's "rude' attitude IMO.

A: My opinion is ...
    B: You are wrong ...
    C: I disagree with you ...

I'll consider the following as "argument".

A: My opinion is ...
    B: You are wrong ...
    C: I disagree with you ...
    A: Why did you say that I was wrong?

A pure discussion (ignore all disagreements) is very difficult to have. How far are you willing to go (response to other's disagreement) is difficult to adjust.
    I think you can counter points in discussion. It's the intent that defines the convo. If both are listening to eachother and building off of that, cool. If they are just talking at eachother and not hearing anyone else, they are arguing.

POINT #1: I originally posted that link because it was a cartoon of a cute puppy and bunny making a snarky, ironic point about bickering on the internet. Cartoons, puppies, bunnies and irony are good.

POINT #2: I don't mind online discussions, even with disagreements. However, as some above have pointed out, "discussing" in person is much different than doing so online, since the anonymity and distance of the internet lower people's mental filters, paving the way for lots of mental diarrhea. Still I wasn't making a point about this or any forum in particular because again: puppies, bunnies, irony.

POINT #3: You have no idea the degree to which you have enriched my life via the introduction of Nacho Ninjettes. Happy, happy day.

Quote Originally Posted by WingChunABQ View Post
    Gotta say, MA forums have lots and lots of piddle matches going on in them. I think we all know why:

http://www.thehighdefinite.com/2012/01/arguing-online/
    do not speak, dirty wing chun animal.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    do not speak, dirty wing chun animal.
    grunt! grunt snort snort grunt!

Translation: Wing Chun people are among the most argumentative out there. I've often wondered why this is. Perhaps it started with the post Yip Man Hong Kong generation and was perpetuated by the westerners who took up the art. Maybe it's that the aggressive nature of the style infiltrates every aspect of our dealings with people. Maybe it's because we're totally superior to everyone on earth. Especially me. I'm the most superior. I'm like, Uber Superior. Me Uber Alles.

Yeah.

grunt! grunt snort snort grunt!

Translation: Wing Chun people are among the most argumentative out there. I've often wondered why this is. Perhaps it started with the post Yip Man Hong Kong generation and was perpetuated by the westerners who took up the art. Maybe it's that the aggressive nature of the style infiltrates every aspect of our dealings with people. Maybe it's because we're totally superior to everyone on earth. Especially me. I'm the most superior. I'm like, Uber Superior. Me Uber Alles.

Yeah.
    Its because WC people are inbreed, in other words they are so used to training with each other ( within their own version of the style) that the whole notion of another world existing out there with things being done different is just blasphemous !!
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Its because WC people are inbreed, in other words they are so used to training with each other ( within their own version of the style) that the whole notion of another world existing out there with things being done different is just blasphemous !!
    doubt it. They argue because it's in their line, you know, how wing chun being invented by a woman and all. Nah, women don't argue

Probably has something to do with the way they're always clinching their sphincters...
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Brule View Post
    doubt it. They argue because it's in their line, you know, how wing chun being invented by a woman and all. Nah, women don't argue
    Hmmm, you may have a point there
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    You actually may have a point there. I think it's further exacerbated by the whole "JKD" split, where some people went with the idea and other, uh, 'orthodox' (for lack of a better term) WC people saw it as an assault on the system. It's a system with an identity crisis, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    Probably has something to do with the way they're always clinching their sphincters...
    GASP!
    [Defensively throws hands over my backside]

None of you know the real footwork though!!!

Blog Entries
    Wing Chun people are among the most argumentative out there.
    Have we ever seen a

- prey mantis guy argue with another prey mantis guy?
    - Baji guy argue with another Baji guy?
    - CLF guy argue with another CLF guy?
    - long fist guy argues with another long fist guy?
    - SC guy argue with another SC guy?
    - boxer argues with another boxer,
    - wrestler argues with another wrestler?
    - BJJ guy argues with another BJJ guy?
    - Judo guy argues with another Judo guy?
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 02-02-2012 at 04:25 PM.

I've just been warned by my browser that page 2 of this thread contains a link to a site which distributes malware. (news.makemeheal.com)
    Last edited by Shǎguā; 02-02-2012 at 06:00 PM.
    傻瓜

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Have we ever seen a

- prey mantis guy argue with another prey mantis guy?
    - Baji guy argue with another Baji guy?
    - CLF guy argue with another CLF guy?
    - long fist guy argues with another long fist guy?
    - SC guy argue with another SC guy?
    - boxer argues with another boxer,
    - wrestler argues with another wrestler?
    - BJJ guy argues with another BJJ guy?
    - Judo guy argues with another Judo guy?
    Sure! It's just that they argue with their skills instead of with their words.

I think they call it "sparring" or "fighting" or some such thing.
    傻瓜

Quote Originally Posted by Shǎguā View Post
    Sure! It's just that they argue with their skills instead of with their words.

I think they call it "sparring" or "fighting" or some such thing.
    You mean they actually resist each other? That is not how TCMA is done. Compliant enemies only pleeeeaase!!!