Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is Forward Pressure?

What is Forward Pressure?

What is forward Pressure and what is it used for?

why does Wing Chun have forward Pressure?

Is forward Pressure the only type of pressure you have?
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

care to share your thoughts on this first? you might get a little more in return if you give a little first vs. what some consider plain old begging
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    care to share your thoughts on this first? you might get a little more in return if you give a little first vs. what some consider plain old begging
    my view is forward energy...I dont think WC is just limited to forward pressure!!!

It all depends on whats your focus is!
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Pressing forward.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    It is pressure in the forward direction. I use it all the time when riding elevators to ensure the correct button is pressed.

So that you can move forward while doing Wing Chun.

Not at all. I have pressure on the job, with the family, and sometimes even on Internet forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    It is pressure in the forward direction. I use it all the time when riding elevators to ensure the correct button is pressed.

Not at all. I have pressure on the job, with the family, and sometimes even on Internet forums.

Ive occasionally got financial pressure but my most worrying pressure currently is the low pressure system of the east coast of Sydney causing severe flooding.

I laugh at forward pressure!!

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    Ive occasionally got financial pressure but my most worrying pressure currently is the low pressure system of the east coast of Sydney causing severe flooding.

I laugh at forward pressure!!
    Move to Melbourne? I joke, I joke.

my view is forward energy...I dont think WC is just limited to forward pressure!!!

It all depends on whats your focus is!
    I really have no idea what you're even talking about..

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post

LOL - that's about the jist of it for me too!
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Forward intention. Like a fish wanting to swim upstream.

I also want to wrap up/tangle up/spin around the opponent most time.
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

Blog Entries

You will be in trouble if your opponent's

- leading leg can enter between your legs, and his center take over your center.
    - body can pass next your body and his momentum can drag you down.

At 5.00 in the following clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLC2f...ayer_embedded#!
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 02-01-2012 at 07:42 PM.

hey guys you got some good post coming on this thanks!

To me, forward pressure is the springiness that allows you to exploit any 'holes' in your opponents structure... ie when you feel a gap, you (and your structure) fill it without having to think about it.

Even if your opponents forward pressure is forcing you to move backwards / laterally, you should maintain some degree of forwardness yourself in order to keep your structure from collapsing.

Quote Originally Posted by Treznor View Post
    To me, forward pressure is the springiness that allows you to exploit any 'holes' in your opponents structure... ie when you feel a gap, you (and your structure) fill it without having to think about it.

Even if your opponents forward pressure is forcing you to move backwards / laterally, you should maintain some degree of forwardness yourself in order to keep your structure from collapsing.
    agree in the most with this post, when the arm gets intercepted it should maintain intent towards the target creating the effect of bamboo under tension, if the thing in the way disappears the arm strikes automatically, if an attempt to pull or push the arm away from its path it springs back exploiting the hole left behind. Would also add that it's a mental thing as well as physical constantly striving to strike the opponents jic seen. Unfortunately some folks interpret it as pushing or turn it into something that only has a place in chi sau
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

Quote Originally Posted by wingchunIan View Post
    agree in the most with this post, when the arm gets intercepted it should maintain intent towards the target creating the effect of bamboo under tension, if the thing in the way disappears the arm strikes automatically, if an attempt to pull or push the arm away from its path it springs back exploiting the hole left behind. Would also add that it's a mental thing as well as physical constantly striving to strike the opponents jic seen. Unfortunately some folks interpret it as pushing or turn it into something that only has a place in chi sau
    Care to elaborate on what you mean as interpret forward pressure as just pushing?

Care to elaborate on what you mean as interpret forward pressure as just pushing?
    Not so much pushing as a neutral force...

'Pushing' would suggest a use of force trying to move the obstacle you've just met...

What I (and I think Ian from what he says) meant is that a neutral force is used...

This way, if the opponent decides to add more force, you can absorb it (either by taking your elbow back to the hip which will allow for a counter-attack or, if needed, by moving your whole structure backwards).

Alternatively, if the obstacle is removed, you will be able to feel this and 'fill the hole' as it were by launching your attack.

Mat